melnol

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Montana
Exp
Hi. My wife and I are planning on arriving in UK later this year with the intention of buying a 5th wheeler (and pickup) and spending around 1 year touring. We'd be obliged if we could get answers to a few questions (though they may sound silly because we don't know the UK regulations!)

Here goes:

- can we drive these trailers with a basic car licence;
- is it as difficult to get insurance as some contributors to your and other forums would have us believe?
- do we need to be aware of different kingpin diameters (I'm learning that there are two sizes);
- can anyone recommend a particular tow vehicle (or 2) which would have adequate power and should I try to find a diesel for extra torque;

Also, any advice you can provide to us as 'newbies' would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Mel & Roxanne

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use camptons in godalming for insurance easy to talk to and very efficient.
i imagine you will want to keep your aussie driving licence ?
that might be the problem . not sure if they do cover foreign licence holders . but you could exchange it for a uk one .
there may be problems if you passed your driving test after 1997 , its a bit complicated , after that vehicles over 3,500kg gvw werent allowed on the standard car licence .
there are also restrictions on trailer weights .
its possible to have a greater trainweight with an under 3,500kg tow unit than an over 3,500kg gvw tow unit .
sounds daft but its true .
i personally prefer mini artic units to the normal pickup type . i think they perform and have better turning circle so make driving easier. but we all have different ideas.
have fun .
go through some of the threads and possibly contact some of the dealers . i,m sure they will all be helpful.
cheers alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
oh by the way my little mitsubishi canter fits in a normal car space , carries seven people and is smaller than many conventional pick ups . i use my tow truck as my car when not pulling the trailer . its only marginally bigger than a vw t2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No problem, takes a while to familiarise yourself with the site. The company above might not have a5th wheeler now but I thought maybe they'd be able to help you source one and even advise on any paperwork you have to do. They used yo advertise on a Ebay a couple of years ago so seem to have experience of Australian visitors.
I think you're doing the right thing travelling comfortably. I met two couples ( separately) on an Oxford site. One couple had travelled for 4 months in a converted car they'd hired. The other couple had just started their tour in same type of vehicle. Seemed mad to me when they could have used something larger and more comfortable.
I deleted the pictures but apparently these are popular to hire in Australia and N.Z. Bright orange Japanese estate cars with a bed in the back and you cook outside......yes, in U.K in March...
Found a link BROKEN LINK

And in UKhttp://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.uk/...5_MULasjrcS2PRYc-lLg_l-_D5IRpDzpu8aAoLZ8P8HAQ

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Insurance is a problem and as far as I know "Down under Insurance" are the only company that will sort it for you.
Link Removed
good luck with your trip am sure many more 5th wheel owners will drop by with suggestions. However for my own thoughts a 5th wheel will restrict you to sites only, no wilding so all expence, maybe think on a motorhome instead. If you intend driving in Europe 5th wheels are not allowed on the free aires as they are effectively a caravan.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Insurance will be a problem but "down under insurance" will sort it.
Link Removed
not sure why you want a 5th wheel though, it will rule out wild camping in the UK and Europe. A motorhome is better suited to touring, 5th wheel better suited to sitting on a site.

OP
OP
melnol

melnol

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Montana
Exp
Thanks for all the info and advice. Apart from the comments from vwalan, I'm still confused as to why we can't do 'wild camping' with a 5er if we fit a generator to it? (Maybe I'm being a bit thick!) It seems to me that we would have the same self-sufficiency that we would in a proper RV? Help me understand what I'm missing please.o_O:blush: Thanks.

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
Back in 2010 we decided to go touring and a 5th wheel was our choice. We had NZ driving licences. Bought the 5th wheel and Toyota Hilux as a complete unit from ebay. We are still touring and loving it. Insurance can be a problem. We used Towergate but paid more than a Uk resident but at least we had insurance.
Any help we can offer send us a pm.
Mike

OP
OP
melnol

melnol

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Montana
Exp
Thanks for your response. Have you had any experience doing 'wild camping' and do you have a generator for such excursions?
I'm fortunate that I still have a UK licence and family who live in UK so I'm hoping I don't have any obstacles regarding insurance. I'm still trying to understand this issue about whether or not we will be able to 'wild camp' with a 5th wheel unit. Several forum comments suggest that we will be unable to to this. Still not sure why...... Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
I don't see any real problem wild camping in a 5th wheel providing it is in a place that is appropriate. Caravans and 5th wheels are not permitted to use aires in europe, as they are only for motorhomes, however off season staying for 1 night in an aire shouldn't be a problem. When wild camping would you unhitch and use the ute for daily excursions leaving the trailer on its own? This I would not advise.
Re the pin size. You just need to make sure that the hitch is compatable with the 5th wheel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back