Aussie motorhomers join the forum (1 Viewer)

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Hi there

We are an Aussie couple who are looking to buy a motorhome in the UK so that we can fly in annually for a few months touring, mainly on the continent but also for visiting family and friends in the UK. We have been motorhoming in Australia since 1996 when we bought a 30' Bedford bus conversion which we drove all around Australia for 16 months and then returned to the workforce. More recently we converted a 30' Isuzu bus into a comfortable motorhome. We have also bought a relatively cheap US RV a few years ago which we store in Los Angeles and have made annual trips to the US for the past 3 years. With retirement likely next year we are now planning the UK/European adventure which will start with a short visit to the UK sometime later this year.

We have done a fair bit of research into a UK purchase (left hand drive) and have a general idea of what we want. This forum has provided a wealth of information and through the insurance thread I was put onto an insurance broker who is willing to arrange insurance for a UK registered motorhome being owned by visiting Aussies who have Australian drivers licences. We have been put onto a good storage site in a suitable location by another Aussie couple.

We have looked at a lot of the motorhomes for sale on this forum and also on eBay. One in particular appeals to us and we keep on coming back to this unit after looking a many others. If we get serious about this particular rig which is located in Paignton, Devon we will like to get an independent person to to check it out - any suggestions of suitable persons or organisations?

We are looking forward to our involvement in this forum as a platform for our future UK/European motorhome trips.

You can check out our Aussie bus to motorhome conversion at Broken Link Removed and our US RV blog at http://ozerv.com/.

?

Deleted User
Aww man, your isuzu bus looks shit :D You know im only joking. Full of aces buddy(y)

I am in Scotland so to far to look at a bus for you but why do you want a left hand drive or are you getting mixed up with mainland Europe?

Dam country and western music must pay some or you two do banks on the side.

Looking forward to your purchase and adventures in the uk.

Oh and welcome. :)

?

Deleted User
BTW i had a quick look at your blog (y) Ill have a good read at that later mate as its getting silly o'clock here but you look an interesting fun couple and i wish you well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Hi Doug and Jackie.
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of help here. There are a few other Aussies who are also
members. Good luck with the purchase and will look forward to your adventures on your blog site.
Ewout

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Thanks Ewout from travelbunyip - your blog has been inspirational to us and has really wet the appetite for a European odyssey. Who knows, we may even catch up with you in Oz one day if not Europe!
Doug

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:hiya2: Welcome to fun, what a great idea, gives you the best of both worlds, be good to follow your journey, ask any questions along the way, they usually get an answer, not always a sensible one but a answer non the less. Happy Travels. (y)

Reactions: kcy

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Kiwi Coss any shreds of advice to give??? Lol
Hi and welcome.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun, sounds like you have some great trips ahead.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and Welcome to Fun.
I live in Paignton so if you do come this way to look at a a vehicle, give me a shout if I can help at all.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
:welcome4:
Sounds like a great adventure from one side of the world to the other. Plenty on Fun keep their vehicles in storage and we tend to hear only the problems they encounter, rarely the positives, hopefully it won't be an issue for you when leaving it so long between visits. (y)

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995

I am in Scotland so to far to look at a bus for you but why do you want a left hand drive or are you getting mixed up with mainland Europe?
... :)

We plan to drive mainly on the continent - hence we figure having the steering wheel on the wrong side would be more appropriate on the UK roads that we already have more familiarity with.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I find it easier to drive in Europe in a right hand drive vehicle than a left hand drive one - it's what you're used to! I can't do left hand drive at all!

?

Deleted User
I find it easier to drive in Europe in a right hand drive vehicle than a left hand drive one - it's what you're used to! I can't do left hand drive at all!

Yip me also. I did hire a LHD in Turkey once and hated it. I took to driving on the right instantly with a RHD car with the only problem being trying to pass large motors like an truck on country roads but whats the hurry when on holiday. Also if you make a mistake and someone gives you abuse they are looking at the wife not you :D

Croweater

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Exp
Hi, we are Aussies who have camped in Europe many times and also driven a motorhome. We have Aussie friends who own motorhomes in UK and the Netherlands and go to UK/Europe every year and have been doing so for many years so I can let you have their contact details if needed.

OP
OP
OZeRV

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
Our research tells us that we are only allowed to drive a vehicle in UK up to 3.5 tonnes maximum weight on an Australian drivers licence https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence.

We will have to work within this limit in terms of finding a suitable vehicle but I do find it ironical considering my Australian Heavy Combination drivers licence permits me to drive any heavy combination vehicle (articulated semi-trailer or lorry) which would normally have a gross weight of around 45 tonnes. Similarly for my wife who has an Australian Heavy Rigid Licence which permits her to drive any rigid vehicle with 3 or more axles heavier than 8 tonnes or an articulated bus.

One motorhome with the 3.5 tonne weight limit with a configuration that appeals to our eye (and budget) is a 2006 Chausson Flash 08 2800cc turbo diesel on a Citroen chassis. Any comments on this make or model?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back