August inspiration (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello Funsters

I'm in need of some inspiration for planning next August's main holiday and just can't decide on where to go.
We've only been as far as Normandy in the past in our old Campervan and have only gone as far as Cornwall since upgrading to a motorhome and would now like to go abroad.
I've glanced at Brittany but just not getting excited for some reason.
Can anyone make any suggestions?
Unfortunately, I'm stuck for the last week in July and first two in August, so peak season.
Easy access to a beach is a must as we have an active 2yr old and take everything but the kitchen sink when we visit!
Some life on an evening - bar/eating/shops/somewhere to stroll.
Happy to split and do a twin centre.
Will consider a longer journey/further south but would then break the journey.
Don't want to stay on aires whilst there but happy to do so en-route.
Can you help with any suggestions? - other than staying at home!
:unsure:o_O

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Where ever you go, if you cannot avoid August, it is gonna be quite expensive
If at all possible ( which I suspect it is not ) then put it off until September and do Austria or better still, Italy.
Northern Italy is spectacular to say the least !!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Brittany ? Just have a look at this site,before dismissing it,you may be pleasantly surprised.
Les plages de Beg Legur Cotes de Amor 22 Bretagne.
Called in for one night..... stayed 7!! Family run,two swim..... Well,have a look for yourself,what it may not say,is that there are shaded pitches among trees,or nice size pitches in hedged blocks of 6 units,there is a super beach plus cafe about half to three quarters of a mile,down a lane and parking is on the first level you come to with super views,the lower level is for cars only,(you look over the top of these,out to sea,as it is only round the corner.This can be accessed with a reasonable size M/h.(Not a converted double decker bus..LOL).
The Pink Coast is only a short drive away,for a day out,walks from the site take you to an old German gun emplacement that once protected the coast,sea fishing from there to,if you are a "Worm drowner". Would we go again ? Yes!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
GAV, You could try Ile de Noirmoutier. It is an island off the west coast. Served by a bridge. We spent 4 days there last year - it would be great for a young family holiday. Safe cycling, interesting villages, shops, bars etc. We stayed at and Indigo site right on the beach. Check it out!

Broken Link Removed

Keith :cool:

Deleted User
A bit further down the West coast is also fine.

The Landes coastline (from dune du pilat down to Capbreton) is littered with resorts and campsites. The forest that is immediately adjacent to the beach (the longest beach in Europe I believe) is ideal for family cycling.

It's going to be busy, but the area is so vast it can cope with the numbers.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Don't just think beach, French rivers and lakes are just as good as any beach some with safe bathing spots and their own beaches, plus the water is normally warmer than a lot of sea water. One of our favorite places in France is the Ardeche good sites great weather and a nice river, it can still get busy in peak season but worth a look.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If at all possible ( which I suspect it is not ) then put it off until September and do Austria or better still, Italy.
I know I often agree with Jaws, but in this instance he is right, again! :D
Northern Italy is spectacular, if you can get there, do! We found a wonderful little place on the banks of lake Trasimeno this year, truly spectacular scenery, wine and food! :D

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If "Inland" is a possible,there are at least two sites in Gien. One is a river side site with swimming,boating,walking and cycle trails.it is just over the river bridge to the south of the town,on the bankside. Think it could be ACSI ? The other is nice,but would not suit your needs.
It is not far into the Orleans forest, a centre for the resistance,a small museum is dedicated to the members and their work,little tables and chairs are here and there in the forest,very peacefull,ideal for a picnic,cycling or walking. (Me and the growler).
Enjoy

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
when our kids were young we spent a few holidays around the St Palais/Les Mathes/La Palmyre region on the Charente Maritime

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Benodet is just fab.. loads to do in the surrounding countryside and very pretty. Been there often and love it

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Your right jaws, just done Austria, Germany and throu the Dolomits down to Venice stunning and quite compared to August

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back