Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
The Middle
Funster No
MH
Low pofile
Exp
new
Woken by a neighbour at 5.30 this morning to tell me that the m/h was blocking the road and not on the drive. Some kind soul had tried to nick it. No damage to doors or windows but an attempt to start it by wedging something in the ignition barrel. The screwdriver or whatever it is has broken off flush with the barrel so I'll try to get it out when I'm a bit calmer.

So the question is should cab doors on a Transit based m/h dead lock or are they disabled for safety reasons? Not alarmed but it will be and if they have managed to open the doors what do I do in the meantime, only legal and non lethal answers please, I've already thought of all those.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Rottweiler bedded down for the night in Moho? :D

Quick fix is a good quality motorcycle security chain and lock between steering wheel and clutch pedal fastened in such a way as neither can be moved and put full lock on the steering first. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear this. Maybe you could tie a rachet strap to both doors to save them opening. Ive also read of someone on here that turns the drivers seat around then puts a padlock on to stop it swivelling back around . Quite a clever idea I thought.
Everything to add time for a thief is a bonus surely.

Hope you can get it fixed without expense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If it hasn't got an alarm, then of course that's the first step (which should bring down the insurance too). I also use a basic crook lock as a visual deterrent. While they're not fail safe, they still require making noise to remove.
image.jpeg

I've also fitted an internal motion alarm I picked up in lidl, for £5. Again very basic but it works and it's loud. They sell them on fleabay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-...9255-0%26rvr_id%3D1035195133938&ul_noapp=true

Like the idea of the seat being swivelled and locked, the same as the bike chain and lock on the pedals.

Sorry to hear it happened and hope you get the ignition sorted again.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I thought I was the only one with the lock between steering wheel and clutch pedal!

Other thing I do is I have a faulty relay I swop with fuel pump relay or alternatively fit a small switch hidden under dashboard to cut fuel pump so it just turns over without starting.

Really horrible experience but at least they did not get away with your motorhome.

Huskydog

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar 620
Exp
Fit a wheel clamp , a good quality one , I use a nemesis one , plus two steering wheel locks and two of the old pedal to steering wheel locks ,and if any one looks in ,I leave a piece of A4 paper on the drivers seat saying " this Vechicle is fitted with a tracker"
All you can do is slow the bar stewards down

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Depending on the year of the Transit it should have a deadlock feature as all modern Fords do, if you have remote central locking it's two presses of the lock button to deadlock.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
On the plus side, you still have the van, and it sounds like they were incompetent thieves, wedging something in the ignition barrel is never going to work on a modern van! The key has a transponder to deactivate the immobiliser.
The downside, you probably now need a new barrel, since the old one is now knackered.
For security, you could do a lot worse than the ones offered by VanBitz. I've been looking into this quite seriously now, since I keep seeing this kind of thread popping up.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We keep Pug at home now. But reversing him down the long drive isn't easy. At all.
Ralphs got it off to a tee now. 5 min job.
There's an inch either side of Pug, with the wing mirrors pushed in , so you can't use them. The full length of the house, both sides of the van. You can't get in the cab doors because of the walls either side , once parked up.
Hopefully he's snug down there !
At the moment pug is at the front of the house. On the hard standing. Waiting for a hab check , we are renewing insurance , this month. Got a really good deal.
I don't like him being on the front , as someone could get in a lot easier. But it's just for today.
Glad your van wasn't stolen. Everyone's worse nightmare. With the hours Ralph spent building pug , we couldn't just go out and buy another, with the insurance either.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lucky escape, a least they didn't do too much damage. Deadlocks will depend if the converter specified them, German vans often do not have them as deadlocks never used to be part of the basic vans spec but it is in the UK so a UK conversion may have them.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It always concerns me when I read a post like this. Where we live vehicle theft is almost unheard of. I don't know anyone who has ever had a car stolen, in fact I can't remember a car ever being stolen. I become a little paranoid when we are away travelling as we only have an alarm, we have never had any security devices on any of our vehicles. Should we be doing something?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Transit has the deadlocking disabled. It must be for safety. How else will you get out if the exit via the caravan door is blocked.
Most Transits are stolen via the On board Diagnostic port.
The thieves use a Tibbe pick to gauge your key via the door lock. They return later with a new key, unlock the door, then plug into the OBD port with a laptop. They then, within a minute, teach the ECU to recognise the new key and off they go.
Your thieves sound like complete morons. I think they were trying to break the steering lock so they could tow it away.
Fitting an OBD lock is very easy. We have one from Protectavan, bought from Ebay.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course, a sticker over your door lock will provide a tell-tale that someone has inserted something to gauge your lock.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our Transit has the deadlocking disabled. It must be for safety. How else will you get out if the exit via the caravan door is blocked.#
Don't think so as most A class vans in basic form only have a habitation door the drivers door is an extra, not many get sold without the drivers door but you do see a few about.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't think so as most A class vans in basic form only have a habitation door the drivers door is an extra, not many get sold without the drivers door but you do see a few about.

All standard Transits I have driven have deadlocks.
Our Chausson hasn't. I asked about it on the first service. It has been disabled but could be switched back on.
Safety is the only explanation IMO.
If you need to get out of the cab end, how will you get out?
I am happier not to have deadlocking despite the increased risk of illegal entry.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As a side note...
Lots of posts of stolen motorhomes on Facebook, the majority seem to be Transits and if you do a web search you will find a few references to transit thefts going back past few years,,,,
So Transit owners may need take even more care..

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Transit with deadlock - no problem:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Dave Newell is a trader funster and has a workshop near Telford
He advertises on the forum
Pm or phone him and ask for some advice on your Transit.

I am sure he could help. He did a great job fitting an alarm to our fiat. There is a peaceful site with in a couple hundred. Yards of his workshop

They also subscribe to the local attractions so can give you a free ticket to all the local museums

Don't forget to ask for your funster discount. :)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
As a side note...
Lots of posts of stolen motorhomes on Facebook, the majority seem to be Transits and if you do a web search you will find a few references to transit thefts going back past few years,,,,

I was talking to someone at Newbury about this at the weekend. They'd had their transit based MH stolen. They'd been informed that older style transits are the most stolen because they are easy and due to the demand for transit parts.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
As a side note...

Travelling folk love a quality product!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our Chausson hasn't. I asked about it on the first service. It has been disabled but could be switched back on.
Safety is the only explanation IMO.
If you need to get out of the cab end, how will you get out?
As I said as standard A Class van don't have any doors at the front only hab doors, I have a drivers door but it was an extra not standard, so can't be a safety issue.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Despite the fact that all standard 2015 Ducato vans have deadlocks in the cab doors, the motorhome base vehicle doesn't have this facility and it is both a hardware and software change, which cannot be retrofitted. When I challenged FIAT on this they said that it is for safety reasons so that the cab doors can always be opened from the inside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Despite the fact that all standard 2015 Ducato vans have deadlocks in the cab doors, the motorhome base vehicle doesn't have this facility and it is both a hardware and software change, which cannot be retrofitted. When I challenged FIAT on this they said that it is for safety reasons so that the cab doors can always be opened from the inside.
See my post above, don't agree as you can buy an A Class without any cab doors.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our Transit has the deadlocking disabled. It must be for safety. How else will you get out if the exit via the caravan door is blocked.
Most Transits are stolen via the On board Diagnostic port.
The thieves use a Tibbe pick to gauge your key via the door lock. They return later with a new key, unlock the door, then plug into the OBD port with a laptop. They then, within a minute, teach the ECU to recognise the new key and off they go.
Your thieves sound like complete morons. I think they were trying to break the steering lock so they could tow it away.
Fitting an OBD lock is very easy. We have one from Protectavan, bought from Ebay.

This is the reason I pulled the OBD port fuses from our cars & M.H. rendering the thieves ECU bypass device useless & physically moved the OBD ports too for good measure :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back