Attempted break in (Mercedes Sprinter) (1 Viewer)

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
Some very nice hard working gentlemen who suffer from insomnia tried to break into Herman at 4am on sat night . (cant type my real expression of hate)
The dogs heard them and started barking , so they never managed to steal Herman or anything inside.
Now what they did was cut the rubber seal around the passenger side quarter light and remove the glass without breaking it (they kindly placed it against the wifes car) .
I concluded they did a runner before getting into Herman , as the door was still locked . But when i ran Mertrux to order a new window seal , they told me the `nice gentlemen` were after my catalyst , as they remove the window , reach in & pull the bonnet release catch , then unbolt the exhaust at the manifold and pull it off in a oner !!
So i went & checked the bonnet .....and yes it was pulled !

Now i have seen lots of things you can buy to protect your Catalyst , but some are expensive . But if they are going to remove the whole exhaust system , that would be little use as it protects it been cut off !

What experiances have you had ?......of course all bad !

By they was new window seal was £18.00 & in stock and a mate will refit it tomorrow.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Very glad it was unsuccessful - could have been very expensive.

Thanks for the warning.

Only one experience with a "lost" catalyst. My brother-in-law found one by the side of a rural road, he picked it up and took it to the local garage (he lived in the area so knew everyone). They looked at it and said "Oh, it came off Mrs. Jones' car, she said she'd lost her exhaust back along the road." The exhaust had corroded through and fallen off luckily the cat was fine and put into the new pipework saving her a lot of money.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like the dogs are due a few treats. Glad the thieves went away empty handed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
perhaps your first course of action should be to fit an alarm, or ensure the one that is already fitted is triggered when the bonnet is opened !

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A Crime Prevention Officer once told me that the only effective burglar alarms are the BBA and the BBC.

"Bloody big Alsatian and breeze block curtains."

sounds like he was right!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you prepared in case they come back again?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Some good advice, it would help if you can give an idea of where you live, (not exact address of course, just the area.)
Cheers, Dave(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
buy a catlock sticker and fit it in the quarterlight. if the scrotes can read, they wont bother again

Reactions: f6c

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
A local hire van centre has stopped buying Mercs and use,s transits now as Mercs cats were to easy to steal

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
my cat is wired up to my van alarm ,disconnect or cut it and the alarm goes off ,also sharp edged protection plate bonnet catch alarmed, in process of fitting 4 pir,s to 4 corners of van wired to light/s

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
if they don't rip thier finger off trying to pull sharp plate down if infra red is broken alarm set,s off,or if they try and cut through exhaust,simple but affective tried and it worked / when guy did it for me a few yrs back

Attachments

• van 452.jpg
    van 452.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our Nephew had the whole exhaust removed from his Range Rover whilst he shopped in Morrisons, how on earth can you compete with this sort of brazen moron.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I fitted one of THESE
The cable is threaded around the front subframe so even if they drop the exhaust, they can't take it away without cutting the cable, which is awkward to get to. You certainly couldn't get bolt croppers to it..
Its just a deterrent, hopefully, they would find an easier target somewhere else.
Allan

geordie graham

Free Member
Jun 29, 2014
Seaton Carew Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
My cat was pinched off my wheelchair access Sprinter whilst parked on my drive and didn't hear a thing. Local Merc dealer fitted a special plate over the Cat

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
if it can be removed get it alarmed ,some good cheep devicess readily available, thinking of fitting pir 2 corner,s of van connected 2 light,s alarm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back