Attaching photos to emails (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I'm hoping someone can help me as not being very techie minded I am completely stumped. I have a Macbook, on which I use Photoshop Elements to process images, and gmail for email.

I frequently send images to fellow photographers as attachments, however the images are embedded in the email, not attached, even though I select attach as icon. The other photographers say they are unable to open my images, and cannot see the file names.

Is the problem likely to be in the computer settings or in my gmail account settings? It is getting really frustrating and I am fed up of being told I haven't sent my images properly to the extent that I have stopped entering digital images in camera club competitions.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Sue

Are you saying that you don't use the mail programme with you MacBook but are using a web based mail.

Martin

PM sent

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I’m not at all techie minded. I had been trying to attach photos as a link in an e mail but it always embedded them. Asked one of my Geekie younger ones and they tried and seemed to think Apple didn’t allow attachment only including them as part of e mail. Sorry not very helpful to you but I would love to hear if anyone has the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have never understood how my MacBook Pro stores photos. I can't see any on the drive. If I want to mail a photo I have to go to the Photo program, find the photo I want and then export it as a .jpg file which I can then email or do what I want with it. It works so I'm not bothered but sometimes I wonder why and then give up again!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I attach no problem in apple email, just go to the attachment paper clip and then select your file/photo.

Martin

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
At the bottom of the Compose Email window, choise the paperclip to attach the phot as a file rather than the Insert Photo icon.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have never understood how my MacBook Pro stores photos. I can't see any on the drive. If I want to mail a photo I have to go to the Photo program, find the photo I want and then export it as a .jpg file which I can then email or do what I want with it. It works so I'm not bothered but sometimes I wonder why and then give up again!
In photo's open the photo to send and two finger click on the track pad and the click share and email, pick the size you want in the box on right hand top of the email screen, then just compile your message and of course fill in the recipient.

The other way and I often use it is to export to the desktop and then just select the attachment paper clip and the the photo from desktop.

Martin

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
So I use your 2nd method which I find logical from years and years at work attaching files to go with emails.

The other method seems less logical and doesn’t seem to lend itself to sending multiple images but I’ll give it a go!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I manage a service that requires photographs as evidence and I always request them as attachments to make filing easier. Almost invariably Apple users cannot manage to do this!!
Also I find that photos taken on an Apple device have problems with their orientation (landscape/portrait) when used in another application.
Why Apple have found it necessary to kick against standards the are much more widely accepted I don't know but they are a pain in the a$$ both to users and recipients.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK should be straight forward attachment unless gmail does something silly with it.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I used to have this problem when sending photos as attachments from my old MacBook Pro which ran OSX 10.6. Nowadays I don’t use it as it’s way out of date and I no longer work for a living. Whether or not the problem occurs is a bit hard to predict and depends on how the recipient’s version of Windows is set up. (I presume the recipients use Win as the problem should not occur between Macs.)
The only dependable solutions I found were either; zip the photos first into a compressed file then send that as an attachment; or better still, export them into a cloud store (e.g. Google Drive or Dropbox) and send a link to the recipient. Since you use Gmail, I suggest the former may be a good solution provided the recipients also have Google accounts in order to retrieve the files. Confidentiality can be maintained by only giving the intended recipient(s) access to the folder on Google Drive, but still, I used to delete the photos from GDrive once I knew they had been downloaded.
In this day and age I think cloud transfer is the best solution to file sharing anyway, rather than using email attachments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back