ATMs that don't charge commission in Spain? (1 Viewer)

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
Afternoon all,

All the ATMs we have tried in Spain so far want to charge commission and/or impose a disadvantageous exchange rate, which amounts to the same thing.

We have one of those pre-paid cards which doesn't charge to be used in an ATM and gives us the day's bank exchange rate (currently 1.138EUR to the GBP or 0.878 the other way). We don't really want to squander the advantage by paying 3% commission.

Does anyone know of a bank in Spain which doesn't charge? We didn't have this problem in France or Portugal.

Ta

Tim

Deleted User
Never had a problem in Spain, some give the option to be charged in £ or euro but never come across one that would only convert. No idea which banks because non have ever charged.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It always does that. When I use my Revolut card for cash they always offer "euros" or"pounds" I just click "euros" , "accept without conversion" & it then takes the euros that are on it.

** Just thinking about is my bank La Caixa always goes straight to debit from account without any mention of a charge for using it.Maybe that is because it is already on card in Euros ?**

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Afternoon all,

All the ATMs we have tried in Spain so far want to charge commission and/or impose a disadvantageous exchange rate, which amounts to the same thing.

We have one of those pre-paid cards which doesn't charge to be used in an ATM and gives us the day's bank exchange rate (currently 1.138EUR to the GBP or 0.878 the other way). We don't really want to squander the advantage by paying 3% commission.

Does anyone know of a bank in Spain which doesn't charge? We didn't have this problem in France or Portugal.

Ta

Tim
Which card are you using.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Santander bank account at home so when we are in Spain we use a Santander cash point and suffer no charges.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes, I have Revolut which is like Caxtonfx, as I said, no problems in France or Portugal, maybe it's just Galicia, I'll keep trying. Thanks.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Yes, I have Revolut which is like Caxtonfx, as I said, no problems in France or Portugal, maybe it's just Galicia, I'll keep trying. Thanks.

I have the revolut card and use it no problem in spain just ask for euro's. I cannot remember the bank name but i think it is Banksia. Do not ask for balance check as it will charge you for this.
Just checked and the bank is called Bankinter.
And I ask for it to come out of savings account.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never seen a commission charge on a Spainish ATM, this year I have been using Revolute & Metro bank cards.
As for offering Euro or an exchange rate no difference to paying with a card in a lot of supermarkets, just make sure you accept Euro or local currency.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Seen a big increase in the number of banks charging to withdraw cash this year compared to previous years. My biggest shock was Santander asking for 5 € at Bennicarlo. There are still those that are free and I have sen the same bank offering free withdrawals in some locations and charging in others. A rising trend for sure. I am with Caxton.

Deleted User
Experimented in Alcossebre this aftwrnoon, Santander wanted to charge €5 for Nationwide and Revolut without conversion.
Popular bank no charge for either, this is the first time that I have ever been asked for a charge in Spain.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We came across it a number of times, this year. I can't remember which banks it was, but there were several. We were using both Caxton and Revolut.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i went to use my santander bank card in a santander bank machine in spain and was warned it would charge me so i sat on the wall and put money on to my we swap card then used that to draw out with no charges

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a Santander bank account at home so when we are in Spain we use a Santander cash point and suffer no charges.

Or a Halifax card - no charges for use abroad. Plus charged at bank rate - not tourist rate.
Santander card is the same

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
but i think it is Banksia

Is that the one that is covered in "artful" graffiti?:D:D

We always use our Cumberland Visa Debit card in Bankia, opt for Euros and never get charged commission

Untitled.png

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Glad it's not just me getting picked on. I hadn't been charged in (southern) Spain in years gone by but so far in Galicia they are all at it. And I wasn't offered choices about currency or accounts but there doesn't seem to be much consistency.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Or a Halifax card - no charges for use abroad. Plus charged at bank rate - not tourist rate.
My second card is the Halifax Clarity card. It doesn't charge for use and doesn't use the tourist rate but the bank rate it offers is not quite as good as the inter-bank rate which Revolut uses. Not much in it especially for people like me who spend modestly:wasntme:

Deleted User

My second card is the Halifax Clarity card. It doesn't charge for use and doesn't use the tourist rate but the bank rate it offers is not quite as good as the inter-bank rate which Revolut uses. Not much in it especially for people like me who spend modestly:wasntme:

The charge is not made by the UK bank but by the Spanish bank doing the conversion.

In the T & C's for all UK cards when used abroad is a phrase to the effect that 'we don't charge but the foreign bank may', well it seems that some banks in Spain are now doing just that.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
BBV charge €1.87. Bank Sabadell charge €1.80 - both in Ribadeo.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you have a pre-paid card loaded with Euros then you choose "Euros" on the screen at the appropriate point. There is no conversion and therefore no conversion charge. The bank whose ATM it is may charge you for the transaction, ie withdrawing money, just as some ATM's do in the UK.

If you have a pre-paid card which has only Sterling on it, or a credit or debit card then there will be a conversion from Pounds to Euros and you will get whatever rate the card issuer decides to give you on the day, which may be a very poor exchange rate. Halifax Clarity Credit card offers one of the best exchange rates. Plus the Bank owning the ATM may levy a transaction charge as above.

Although Revolut gives an excellent exchange rate, free withdrawals are limited. Once you exceed the limit they impose a charge.

MoneySavingExpert has lots of information on Travel Money. https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpe...43.1273813139.1525978295-304677110.1478202655

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I use La Caixa with my Revolut card as well as various other standalone atm's & am never charged?
Sorry my mistake, I thought Caixa had tried to charge me on my Revolut, must have been another bank, I think it might have been Sabadel on Villasol. They always tell you if tgere’s Going to be a charge and if there is I just cancel and go to the next machine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back