Athens via the Balkans & Back in 99Days (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Fantastic to hear you’re moving again! I have loved reading your posts and have felt for you whilst you were holed up. Please post a pic when you finally make it back to Stourbridge!!

Cheers!

Russ n Kathryn

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Still Wed 27 May

After the internet got the better of my attitude yesterday, here we go again.

We are now in Mannheim on an Authorised Motorhome stop over, with elec, waste and black water plus refill and its super. 10 Euro for 24hrs + Elec & 1 Euro for 100lts of water.

IMG_1625 27 May.JPG

Thurs 28 May

Mannheim is a shopper’s paradise, even I could tell that without ‘T’ saying anything. But you have to be rich, nothing that I saw was cheap. A few nice sites and another Irish Bar cider this time was ‘Stowford Press’ a vast improvement on Bulmers IMO. Had a lovely day, but towards the end I was losing the will to live. Our last site/thing to visit was, The Paddler Steamer ‘Mainz’. It was the last paddle-steamer built on the river Rhine, she finally came to a rest in Mannheim where she is now exhibited as a museum vessel.

As we approached the river all I was thinking is I need the loo and is there a bar anywhere. Then I saw the oasis a beach on the riverside, from where we could gaze upon said Paddle Steamer.
IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

There is an Mojito not far from my right hand, it was fantastic.
DSCF6204.jpg

IMG_1626 Mannheim 28 May Paradeplatz.JPG

Above The Paradeplatz
Below The Water Tower & Gardens
IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

On the way to catch the tram we stopped at another bar, it had been an hour or so since the beach, plus it was very hot. I ordered a side dish of CHIP’S the first since we left home, oh how good they were.

Had a bit of an adventure on the tram trip home, first tram arrived and an elderly lady with a walker was struggling getting off as she did the door shut and we and another lady were left standing there. Then when we did get the tram 6A instead of 6 which stops at out site but didn’t and we got kicked off at the nearby stadium. ‘T’ suggested walking 30mins, I was having none of it, we crossed the road and got the next tram in the opposite direction and found our way back to base.

We have decided that the tour is over, we are going to Trier on the Mosel River and staying there until Wednesday when we will travel to France hopefully for an overnight stop before the Eurotunnel on Thursday morning. We anticipate a problem in Trier as on 30 May the campsite’s in Germany reopen and we suspect they will be rammed. We have telephoned ahead to a couple and left messages, but no replies, we will just have to take potluck, again. But I think those that have followed this post will agree we have been so lucky throughout this trip.

Fri 29 May

We arrive near to Trier at a place called Mehring, ‘T’ commented that we had been travelling uphill for some time now. Well the descent to Mehring was great for the passenger ‘T’ looking down at the Mosel river and the landscape. The site we had called a couple of days previous only has 6 places, it was right on the river edge beautiful, five spot taken but nowhere to fit a sixth and the owners only come round about 6/7pm to collect the money, so was our luck running out?

We had seen a couple of sites as we drove from Mehring and thought ok what next, we parked up and reviewed the plan. The sites we had seen looked open, which we were not expecting as today is 29th and they are not open until 30th.

I called the site I had looked at staying at tomorrow, Saturday in Trier and they were fully booked. We made our way back and went into the first site we had seen, it didn’t look good to start with and when they asked how many days, I went for 4 or 5, thinking we might not get in anywhere. No chance came the reply, what about 1 night was my next request, OK and we were in, breathing space. On the plus side the campsite looked lovely and was heaving, not open until tomorrow I wonder who is policing that?

I think when I took the next photo it was about 1pm, by 4pm the space in front of those caravans was full.
IMG_1645.JPG

Look at the view of the hills and a million grape vines on them.
Below our spot and you can see the restaurant not far to stagger.
IMG_1646.JPG

We ate in the campsite restaurant penne arrabiatta, it was hot and very good, ‘T’ had pork schnitzel and that was good too. A bottle of the local white mosel wine (a litre) and all was good at 43 Euro (not as cheap as the Saliste pizza’s).

Sat 30 May

By 10.30 we are on the short drive to Trier due to the uncertainty of getting a place at Treviris Reisemobile Stellaplatze, it also has a Campsite and a grill restaurant (the grill restaurant being closed due to Corona). The Stellaplatze was extremely full but we found a space and also got EHU.

I think the Title of the post needs to be changed from ‘Athens via the Balkans & Back in 99Days’ to ‘99Days not having a clue what is happening’ OR ’99Days and the lucky still hasn’t run out’. We have been blessed with things working out throughout this trip and we will be ever grateful for that.

All for now, more on Trier and France to come.

Take care all of you.

Dennis & Terry

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Thanks Russ & Kathryn for your kind comments

DnT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
9.20am Tunnel is now 1.20pm at least we can have our home made tea & coffee then turn the gas off before boarding. :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
But I think those that have followed this post will agree we have been so lucky throughout this trip.
The number of times I've wished you good fortune and I bet I'm not alone, I think your good luck is home made plus a lot of good wishes from your audience. (no longer holding my breath). Welcome home!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
9.20am Tunnel is now 1.20pm at least we can have our home made tea & coffee then turn the gas off before boarding. :)
You're back just in time. It would have been 14 days self-isolation if you had arrived after this weekend. :)

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi you two welcome back to The mad world we are living in at the moment great to here that you have a great time We also are planning to do a similar trip next year so we were wondering when you have unpacked and got to grips with what is going on in this crazy world if you have any does and don't that could advise us on looking forward to hearing more from you both

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Have you arrived home then?

This has been a brilliant, at times disturbing, always uplifting and adventure filled thread, your positivity in the face of adversity has been inspiring! We just hope your next adventure isn’t so full of worry and troubles. Keep safe!

Russ n Kathryn

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad to hear all has gone well & hope you are safey home now or at least parked up somewhere for the night safely.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You'll be looking forward to a pint or two of Sadler’s Mellow Yellow or Worcester Sorcerer. You've earned it! Have one on me.🍻

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
So glad to hear you are both safely home.
we have followed your journey vicariously!
keep us posted on your next trip 😀 x

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Sorry for the delay, but will update the final few days of our adventure soon. There has been so much to do since we got back, but things are settling down now.

Once again thanks for all your support and kindness whilst we on our journey. 'T' at the moment isn't up for doing it again, which is a shame, but time may change her views.

Me yes I'd definitely go again.

Take Care

DnT

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Sat 30 May

After settling in i.e. taking photos of all the signage and google translating a lazy morning sitting in the sun, having ensured that the electric bikes are fully charged. They only saw daylight in Saliste on one occasion. I think I said they are new and we have not used them yet.

Having decided that we will do some of the Trier roman sights tomorrow. Late afternoon we took a ride into Trier town just to see what it’s like and as usual we went the wrong way initially, but we were on the bikes so not so bad. The bikes are good and easy to use (see tomorrow about bikes and maybe I was getting ahead of myself easy to use!!!), a good investment as ‘T’ just cannot do uphill at all, under any circumstances.

Parked the bikes and had a short walk round, the town looks interesting and was busy. It wasn’t long before we decided lunch in The Corn Market Square was a good option. After which another short stroll and back on the bikes to the bus to sit outside in the sun until about 8pm lovely, oh yes with Gin & Tonics.
Trier Fountain.JPG

Woolworth obviously survives in German.
IMG_1663 30 May.JPG

Where did we see it last? Can any of you remember?
Sun 31 May

A view from the bus door of St Matthias Abbey, if you look closely you can just see the Mosel River.
St Matthias Abbey from Bus Door 31 May.JPG

A closer view of the Abbey a couple of hours later.
St Matthias Abbey Frontage.JPG

We then visited the Amphitheatre, whilst on route I managed fall off the bike fortunately my forward roll for breaking a fall was working well and not much damage to me or the bike. A few minutes later I used the front brake instead of the rear and nearly went over the handlebars and I was starting to think I need to walk places, but no more incidents after that.

A couple of pics from the Amphitheatre.

Amphitheater2.JPG

Amphitheater5.JPG

After which we made our way back to the bus for lunch and an afternoon relaxing in the sun once again, with rose wine and gin and tonics.

Mon 1 June

It is a holiday today, so a lot of places were closed during the early part of the day, but good for just wandering round the sights we haven’t yet seen. Visited the Palace gardens, Porta Nigra, strolled the town and had a Thai meal for lunch that was fab and with two glasses of wine each 26 euro, good value.
Palace Garden
IMG_1723.JPG

Trier Palace Fountain.JPG

Porta Nigra
IMG_1750.JPG

We needed some fresh bread and the bakery we had planned to go to was closed, as was the supermarket. So wasn’t looking good, I had spotted an ice cream sign nearby and a small table outside, we decided ice cream was a good substitute for bread. We went in mask on as that is the requirement here. Ordered the ice cream and spied four cobs/baps just waiting for us and the ice cream was good too.

Got back to the bus and more sun, wine and GnT’s

Tue 2 June

Well this morning has been a chores morning, turning into the afternoon. Then a last trip into Trier on the electric bikes and lunch out in ‘The Corn Market’ Tapas and it was lovely, also a bit of shopping needed. When we get back, I wash the front of the bus, currently looking like a combined European bug and fly cemetery.

View of The Corn Market Fountain and from Tapas Restaurant
IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1762 2 June.JPG

The Mosel River
IMG_1765.JPG

Wed 3 June

What will today hold, well another two borders to cross hopefully we will let you know tonight where we are, a campsite, motorhome stopover or the Eurotunnel car park, interesting.

WELL THE LAST TWO BORDERS – I know you are all dying to know, well the Belgium border we crossed on the Number60 Motorway near to Steinebruck. The Motorway was closed off and barriers diverted you through a Lay By, which apart from two large yellow porta cabins was void of any activity whatsoever, only one more border (not counting the Eurotunnel) to cross.

Weather still good and we stopped off at a parking area for lunch enjoying the sunshine and then set off for France. We crossed the border somewhere between the E40 and A16 on route to Marck, 15 mins away from the Tunnel, the system was identical to the Belgium border, except it was manned. We were armed with all the declarations that the FCO say you need to gain access to France and the evidence of travel booking and obviously passports.

France was the border where I thought we would experience the most trouble on our route from Romania after Hungary.

There is no queue as such, a couple of vehicles are requested to pull over and stop and as we approach, my eyes are fixed on the officer/border guard waiting for the pull in signal, it never came, instead he signalled to us to drive straight through. I WAS GOBSMACKED and here we are in France on an overnight Authorised Camping Car spot, 8 Euro for the night with EHU, waste water, black water and fresh water refill, not that we actually need anything except EHU, just so I can use my Laptop. It is called Marck Camping-Car Parking, 181 Allée de la Découverte, 62730 Marck, France. Only 5 elec places, but room for 5/6 other MH. It has a tight entrance, but it is manageable and flat parking places. Only 15 mins away from the Eurotunnel. Also nearby is The Pidou Wine Superstore, that we have visited in the past, yes its cheap, but not that cheap.

So tonight, a veg curry, tomorrow, the real thing.

Almost home, cor believe it. Not sure going back in lockdown time is what we need?

I will let you know when we get back, fairly confident now (as I have confirmed the Eurotunnel booking is still ok) that it will be sometime tomorrow mid to late afternoon. Another adventure comes to an end oh and yes the New thread title is ‘64 Days in Saliste, a treasure we will never forget’.

Thur 4 June

Up early and arrived at Eurotunnel in time for our booking at 9:20 to be electronically advised next available train was 1:20pm unless an early place became available. No other info forthcoming and no one to ask. So, kettle on and book reading during the wait. We got the 12:40pm train and as you know got home safely.

On route we stopped at Beaconsfield M/way services, eerie experience. Only three outlets open one of which was M&S so grabbed a sarnie and coffee.

Got home by about 4:30pm hardly any traffic on the road in Stourbridge. Order the curry from our reagular sit in restaurant for 8:15 and was cheeky and asked for a bottle of Stowford Press with the delivery, which they provided along with a packet of lindt coconut chocolates as a welcome home. Choclates and curry was brill.

A day or so after we got home had a walk into the town, another eerie experience as I assume most of you have already had.

We have settled back into life at home and to the UK lockdown. Fortunately for me golf is allowed, so getting some exercise. ‘T’ has choir and Yoga via zoom. She is not enamoured by supermarket queues so is doing online shopping.

Last week we went for a walk over Kniver Edge heathland that is only about 6 miles from where we live, here are a couple of the views that make a statement about the UK as in Blake’s poem.
389 Kniver Edge 15 June 20.JPG

390 Kniver Edge 15 June 20.JPG

It truly is a Green and Pleasant Land and with that I will sign off on this thread.

Until our next adventure wherever that may be.

Bye for now and we hope you are all still taking care and not risks. Stay safe and once again thanks for all your lovely comments and support.

DnT

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Well, well, well! I was beginning to wonder if you were stuck in the Tunnel. Nice to have the final chapter in your amazing adventure. Life will seem very bland for a while.

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Getting the hang of it from 2017
I started to follow this back in February and just found again it today.
What an interesting read, well done. Thats a trip to remember

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back