Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Be aware that collectables go through distinct phases of collectability, then go out of favour. Value exists only in the mind of the buyer - if the buyer is no longer there or they change their mind, the value disappears.

If you're buying such things as an investment be mindful that there can be a right and a wrong time to sell, and generally speaking hanging on to them forever is not a good plan unless it's got Picasso written at the bottom (and preferably not Citroen on the boot).

I noticed a trend with collectable toys where they peaked in collectability around 15-20 years after they first hit the shelves. I put this down to young parents becoming nostalgic for their own childhoods. When I began trading in collectable toys in the late 1980s, Gerry Anderson was still in (just), Star Wars was approaching a boom time, and Dan Dare was already in decline.

My mum and dad splashed out on paintings at one point in their lives, and they cost a bit. When the time came to clear their house the paintings sold for not much. English school watercolours by listed artists can be had for very little these days. Likewise, David Dickenson's Holy of Holies, Moorcroft ceramics can be had for quite reasonable sums at auction. My local auctioneers are constantly whingeing about plunging interest in crockery and other things that sold well only a few years back. Most dealers in crockery at the Antiques fairs I stand at look thoroughly miserable at the end of the day's trading, and so they should - the fairs are awash with the stuff.

My prediction for plummeting value in the next few years is diecast cars and toy trains. Why? because the collectors are steadily ageing, and there's no younger collectors replacing them. I've sat at toy fairs watching the customers shuffle past and rarely if ever do I see one under 50, and they're usually a lot older. A time will come soon when a lot of that stuff will start appearing on the market from the estates of deceased collectors and nobody will be left to buy it. Prices will plunge, although to be fair, pristine mint in the box items will hold their value for longer.

Obviously if you just like collecting stuff then don't worry about the prices. I like collecting the very first publications featuring popular boy's literature characters. For example Sherlock Holmes (Strand Magazine), Biggles (Popular Flying), Billy Bunter (Magnet), and I'm on the lookout for Nigel Molesworth who first appeared in a 1939 edition of Punch. That's just personal interest.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
When I retired early in 2011 I had over 10,000 LP's (Albums for those who don't remember plastic);) I spent months recording them to MP3's for iPod and then sold them all. I also had a large collection of pocket watches, which I advertised in local newspaper and a chap came and took the lot and I whilst at the time I did not want to do it:cry:, looking back what would I have done with them in Spain. Last year I sold my collection of watches, so now only have 3 or 4 that I could not part with.
There is an old saying "you cannot take it with you", so I spent it instead. WICKED.................:)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
To answer the OP's question - in reading the replies thus far it's clear that life would be so much simpler if you don't start collecting in the first place.
If you really like watches, lighters, sewing machines etc, go look at someone else's, then go home to an uncluttered house.
ps, anyone want to buy .................?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think this is the problem with the lighters. Smoking has become unfashionable, so no one is prepared to pay a lot of money for an expensive lighter. When you consider that a factory service will set you back £80, that would buy a lot of throw away lighters. Quality watches on the other hand never seem to go out of fashion, and can be a good investment. My gold watches were bought by weight at a time no one wore pocket watches, but since waistcoats have come back in fashion they have doubled in value. Not forgetting the price of gold has risen in the last 20 or 30 years.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
And I thought it was only me, I have trainsets also pocket watches, always bought pocket watches because I can not ware wrist watchs they always brake or just stop no matter how mutch I pay for one.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have lots of old lighters - I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Hopefully @Snowbird will buy them(y):D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got a HMS Victory engraved job.

This ship was built in Pembroke Dock ( my home town) and sunk in the First World War.(y)

Edit - not sure it was Victory - I need to check.

It was old anyway:D

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have got a HMS Victory engraved job.

This ship was built in Pembroke Dock ( my home town) and sunk in the First World War.(y)

Edit - not sure it was Victory - I need to check.

It was old anyway:D

Goodness Chris that is old. A cigarette lighter made before cigarettes were invented :D.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Goodness Chris that is old. A cigarette lighter made before cigarettes were invented :D.

I think it might be HMS Warrior.

Just quizzing my wife about where my collection might be( she keeps moving shit):D

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
... and I'm sitting here looking at a display cabinet full of such things as Stourbridge crystal, Royal Doulton, Royal Derby - and look the other way - Wedgewood. There's also a full canteen of cutlery - in its canteen - that more than likely nobody will want. (but that isn't on display funnily enough)

Don't think any of the family younger than us - like it. I have told Pete's eldest daughter which bits I reckon ought to be worth something - but whether they are or not - I shall never know ! LOL

Same with the bits of jewellery - if they are going to wear it - fine, please feel free to keep those bits then. If not - Flog it. But try a shop that sells S/H jewellery first, before just weighing it in, please!

?

Deleted User
>> At what age do you stop.

When they start the ashes ti ashes dust to dust bit.

TBH when i seen the thread title i thought having sex what the question. This would explain the lack of sense of humor in some post answers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back