Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
We have just spent a cold night in our MH Apache, at Lincoln, show, we had the screens up on the windscreen and down on each individual window as well as curtains drawn, windows were tightly closed, the part where are heads were, (two windows) was the coldest, I ended up wearing a wooly hat !
Is it ok to leave the gas fire on low all night ?
Any other suggestions ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah yes, the lovely window at the head cold bonce scenario! I too used to wear a wooly hat but find a hoodie actually works better on the rare occasions I need it. I'd suggest is getting some of the silver bubble wrap type material used for normal type car sun screens and cut it to shape to fit the window so it goes between the 'plastic' and the blind, you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much this reduces the cold, also if you only have thin 'cosmetic' curtains replace them with some thermal lined ones as again this makes a huge difference. We used to have a Rimor and that had a huge window running down the side of the transverse bed and another at the foot and bl**dy hell did it get cold ... by doing as I've suggested it made it much more snuggly and warm.

If you have the kind of windows with built in air vents you can put some of the silver screen material behind the trim to stop the draught too, also check the cab doors to make sure they don't have any air vents letting cold air in and turn the dial on the dash for the cab vents to 'recycle' so it closes off the inlet for the outside air.

You can, as you've asked leave the gas fire on but that's just masking the problem rather than trying to prevent it in the first place.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Some great ideas there Minx, thank you. asap we plan to put a heavy curtain accross from door to door behind the cab seats in our Wentworth to help with the cold.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll usually find some really good quality curtains at charity shops or car boot sales, much better and a lot cheaper than stuff in 'normal' shops! If you are handy with a sewing machine altering them isn't difficult, but if its only a case of taking the hem up that's easily done by hand. If there's excess material you can also use it to make cushions, seat covers etc to blend it all in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can see you in onecie bruce
Trouble with onesies is when you want to go to the loo in the middle of the night ... there is no way to be 'quiet' whilst trying to escape one!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another thought, if you have a cold wall at the side of a fixed bed (ie without windows) you could also put some 'mock' curtains across there as they again will add another layer of insulation and make your bed feel nice and snug, alternatively put some curtains across the bed access point so that you have a 'cocoon' which is much easier to keep the heat in.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just an obvious word of warning. dont block all the ventilation if using the gas appliances. C0 poisoning is very real, you cant smell or taste it. you just get a VERY good sleep.....permanently

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One other suggestion - make sure the bed is WARM before you get into it so it doesn't chill you - hot water bottles may be old fashioned but you simply cannot beat them! We have 2 duvets on our camper bed so are nice and warm on a night time, even in the snow.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we pre warm the beds by letting the dogs on them. make comfy hot water bottles too

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Invest in new fleecy Pjs and a higher tog duvet. We just came back from Skye, it was lashing of rain and really windy but we were warm.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Your room heater is room sealed so virtually no chance of carbon monoxide entering the motorhome. They are perfectly safe to leave ruñning overnight. If anyone disputes this please add links to confirmed reports of people being killed by CO produced by properly installed, purpose designed room heaters such as the Truma units installed by Autotrail and many (most) other motorhome manufacturers.

D.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Your room heater is room sealed so virtually no chance of carbon monoxide entering the motorhome. They are perfectly safe to leave ruñning overnight. If anyone disputes this please add links to confirmed reports of people being killed by CO produced by properly installed, purpose designed room heaters such as the Truma units installed by Autotrail and many (most) other motorhome manufacturers.

D.
thats a brave thing to say Dave. as you know, how it leaves the factory, its likely safe, but add in a few services or repairs and leaks happen. ovens and hobs along with fridges produce a greater risk though

a C0 detector can be bought for under £20 but what price do you put on safety

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
my gas appliances are checked on a regular basis but I still have Co detector's fitted
any appliance in a motor home is only as good as the last speed hump
or pot hole

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
thats a brave thing to say Dave. as you know, how it leaves the factory, its likely safe, but add in a few services or repairs and leaks happen. ovens and hobs along with fridges produce a greater risk though

a C0 detector can be bought for under £20 but what price do you put on safety
I stand by my comment. CO detectors are always advised though.

D.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... another though! What about an electric blanket (underblanket would be best) ... the advantage is that you can leave this on low and/or adjust it as required, easier than having to get up and turn a heater up/down.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
... another though! What about an electric blanket (underblanket would be best) ... the advantage is that you can leave this on low and/or adjust it as required, easier than having to get up and turn a heater up/down.

No hookup at Lincoln or any other rally!
Just use the heater for what it was designed for!
Job done!

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
just an obvious word of warning. dont block all the ventilation if using the gas appliances. C0 poisoning is very real, you cant smell or taste it. you just get a VERY good sleep.....permanently

The only gas appliances that could possibly allow CO (& CO2) into the air inside a MH are those that use air from / exhaust into the MH. No modern installed space or water heating appliance can do this. The only possible source is the cooker (when lit!), a very badly installed fridge, or an ad hoc gas appliance brought in by the owner of the MH. All permanently installed heating appliances can be used 24/7 without any danger.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back