At least they were not gassed ! (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Cannot believe anyone would leave all their valuables in a bag in the front of a motorhome in a motorway aire.
Obviously they are not funsters or they would know better.
Many years ago there was a campaign by the police with the slogan 'don't invite crime' perhaps they should run it again.
Also why so much cash. I never have more than 200 euro at a time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Amateurs. What about the Rolexes and iPads?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
says they were like hillbillies in a 5 star hotel wearing beachwear and flip flops-thought they had just lost cash and passports. ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
says they were like hillbillies in a 5 star hotel wearing beachwear and flip flops-thought they had just lost cash and passports. ?

I’d be the same, I regularly head south with not a single pair of long trousers and only one pair of Tevas

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
I can’t believe that they would leave all their money, cards, passports and a watch and necklace in one canvas bag, and in the front of the van! An experienced nomad would also be very wary of stopping on a motorway service surely? If I was ever forced to stop there, all valuables would be out of sight, and distributed in various different locations just in case.
And agree with the above...'hillbillies'? Are they actually complaining that they were put up in a five star hotel because they didn’t have the right clothes with them? Maybe the insurance should have paid out for a couple of ballgowns and designer handbags as well, so they wouldn’t feel out of place?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Always fascinated me how the thieves exit heavily camera ed toll roads ?

I’d be the same, I regularly head south with not a single pair of long trousers and only one pair of Tevas
I come here :D2with only shorts.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmm, this whole thing stinks and the write up is derogatory to say the least. Who took the picture of the moho in the carpark and why?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Your on your way back from a month trip along the south coast of France and you have got €1500 cash left...:cool:

I don’t even take that much to start with....:cool:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just returned from a 3 week trip inc the south coast of France and only spent £1500. And she had £1000 on a prepaid card as well.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I love the sad faces.

Armed police took the front door of my in-laws in error.

Even their mugshot wasn’t so miserable looking.

Biggest load of bullsh1t ever read in a while.

Don’t get me wrong, if they were robbed, it’s nasty and scary. But for the editor to publish such tripe.

Not heard it for a while. I think the last was a woman a couple of years ago in Bennicassm who I overheard telling the same story on three different pitches.

First it was £3,000, then £2,500 and then £2,000.

Even if you have no hidden safes or lockable safe compartments. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have little piles hidden.

In the tea bags
Underwear
Under carpet
Fire blanket
Even the fridge where a light would usually come on.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are so many hidden nooks on motorhomes where things can be hidden so well even the person hiding them can't find them.(I speak from experience)
At the very least should have a card or two and some cash. Passports aren't needed once you're in a country so lock or hide away.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Absolutely no sympathy - "experienced" motor-homer? She did everything wrong and now expects everybody else to sort her out. It's our insurance premiums that will suffer!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Article states she was on an Aire-du-Service and later the woman says she wouldn't stay in a lay-by anymore. :unsure: Why didn't she ask to be put up on a campsite where her flip flops and beach wear would have blended in and a lot cheaper for the Insurance too.;)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
There are so many hidden nooks on motorhomes where things can be hidden so well even the person hiding them can't find them.(I speak from experience)
At the very least should have a card or two and some cash. Passports aren't needed once you're in a country so lock or hide away.
i swear blind theres 200 euros in our van somewhere but can i find it?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I love the sad faces.

Armed police took the front door of my in-laws in error.

Even their mugshot wasn’t so miserable looking.

Biggest load of bullsh1t ever read in a while.

Don’t get me wrong, if they were robbed, it’s nasty and scary. But for the editor to publish such tripe.

Not heard it for a while. I think the last was a woman a couple of years ago in Bennicassm who I overheard telling the same story on three different pitches.

First it was £3,000, then £2,500 and then £2,000.

Even if you have no hidden safes or lockable safe compartments. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have little piles hidden.

In the tea bags
Underwear
Under carpet
Fire blanket
Even the fridge where a light would usually come on.
I keep any piles very well hidden ............

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My guess , they had run out of money and didn't know how to get home.
My lad always says he's going to say he's brokedown and get a lift back on a recovery lorry.
He's never tried it I might add:)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I keep any piles very well hidden ............

latest

(y);)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I know this must be strange to some people ( her) but we fitted a safe in our van. We also put any valuables away out of sight and we keep our wallets and id up with us when we sleep. We also have photocopies of all our original documents hidden. And I would love to have that much in assets on the way back from a holiday..we are dead skint by then.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this must be strange to some people ( her) but we fitted a safe in our van. We also put any valuables away out of sight and we keep our wallets and id up with us when we sleep. We also have photocopies of all our original documents hidden. And I would love to have that much in assets on the way back from a holiday..we are dead skint by then.
as i said previous , i think they were too:whistle:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My cousin, now sadly deceased, in his young days was returning from a long European tour when his old(even then) VW camper unfortunately caught fire and was totally destroyed along with all his valuables. Luckily it was all insured. The general view of the family is that he torched it for the insurance money, though he never admitted it. It was convenient though as it was a complete wreck before the fire, fortunately also near to the channel ports.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back