At last - I’ve upgraded to Lithium (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The wired temp sensor comes with every inverter charger in the box. My bet is one nut or a connection got forgotten or overlooked, then heated up very much until insulator gave up. The cable from lynx looks 90mm or 120mm, that can carry in excess of 300a. A simple arc fault device and proper over-current calculation could of prevented the fire. I always underate the fuse for the cable max capacity. It makes me cringe when I see 250a fuse on 25-35mm2.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I must be the unlucky one when it comes to Roadpro.Although I have spent thousands of pounds with them in the last 5 years,I find their after sales support leaves a lot to be desired.Emails take an age to be answered(if at all)and I am still waiting for a follow up from a question I raised about a recently purchased product,for 8 weeks!Like I say it might just be me although I can’t think why.I could never be described as an awkward customer,in fact just the opposite.I have always given them the benefit of the doubt because they do sell quality products,but I won’t be bothering them again.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
I must be the unlucky one when it comes to Roadpro.Although I have spent thousands of pounds with them in the last 5 years,I find their after sales support leaves a lot to be desired.Emails take an age to be answered(if at all)and I am still waiting for a follow up from a question I raised about a recently purchased product,for 8 weeks!Like I say it might just be me although I can’t think why.I could never be described as an awkward customer,in fact just the opposite.I have always given them the benefit of the doubt because they do sell quality products,but I won’t be bothering them again.
Being in Hull, I would highly recommend SAP in Doncaster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Stephen.To be honest I haven’t heard of them but will certainly go to them in the future rather than roadpro.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Not to want to put a dampener on matters but I upgraded to lithium recently and I’m now waiting for a forensic investigation on how my RV was totally destroyed in a fire Just a few weeks after installation.

To be fair I had a huge amount of work done so at the moment it could be anything that caused the fire. But hopefully we’ll find out friday
We also had a fire last year after a lithium battery conversion.
All worked as advertised initially, till the B2B exploded into flames.
We were there and put it out with a dry powder fire extinguisher, then totally disconnected the habitation electrics and returned home from our holiday in Cornwall.
We got it repaired and part exchanged it for a new (better) and got the dealer to fit the lithium battery exactly to the motorhome manufacturers specification.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We also had a fire last year after a lithium battery conversion.
All worked as advertised initially, till the B2B exploded into flames.
We were there and put it out with a dry powder fire extinguisher, then totally disconnected the habitation electrics and returned home from our holiday in Cornwall.
We got it repaired and part exchanged it for a new (better) and got the dealer to fit the lithium battery exactly to the motorhome manufacturers specification.
Nasty experience, glad you were able to safely extinguish the fire.

I would be interested to know how the B2B that burst into flames was wired and what the dealer did differently with the new one. There could be an important message there for others. What was the make of the B2B you had problems with?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have just had solar panels fitted and asked about lithium as it is widely discussed on hear and the response was the way you use your van its a waste of money and if you are desperate to save a few Kilo's loose weight :rofl:

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I have just had solar panels fitted and asked about lithium as it is widely discussed on hear and the response was the way you use your van its a waste of money and if you are desperate to save a few Kilo's loose weight :rofl:
Completely agree.... and i would add to that the very wise proverbs ....

"If it ain't Broke, don't Fix it"

and the KISS principle... "Keep it Simple Stupid"

;)

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I’d planned to change to Lithium. Purchased and fitted a 105Ah. Battery itself charged and supplied perfectly ok. However the N&B control panel would shut down when Mains applied or Inverter turned on. Concluded the BMS was over sensitive dropping the output to about 7V causing the panel to shut down.
As already stated the BMS protects the battery, but what protects the charging circuits from the battery when it tries to take 100A ? Before fitting Lithium you must ensure that the Alternator, B2B and Solar charger etc are able to cope with the massive currents that a Lithium battery takes and all wiring and fuses are adequate. To do this properly was too much work, I returned the Lithium and fitted another AGM.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’d planned to change to Lithium. Purchased and fitted a 105Ah. Battery itself charged and supplied perfectly ok. However the N&B control panel would shut down when Mains applied or Inverter turned on. Concluded the BMS was over sensitive dropping the output to about 7V causing the panel to shut down.
As already stated the BMS protects the battery, but what protects the charging circuits from the battery when it tries to take 100A ? Before fitting Lithium you must ensure that the Alternator, B2B and Solar charger etc are able to cope with the massive currents that a Lithium battery takes and all wiring and fuses are adequate. To do this properly was too much work, I returned the Lithium and fitted another AGM.
Spec it on your new van Kevin and they have done all the hard work and matching for you ;)

Deleted User
I had two lithium batteries fitted replacing AGM's on my Hymer PVC at Road Pro in May.
Very professional outfit, quality of installation excellent.
Took just over a day to install batteries / 600 watt Inverter.
Since fitting i've spent 4 days away over half term on site with no hook up and the lowest battery reading was 85%, by midday the 200 watt of solar had replenished to 100%.
The big test will come in the October half term when solar gain is poor, but so far looking good.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We are pleased that its working out for you however its going to be an expensive transfer if and when you change your van, as most people including us seem to more often nowadays. We are going down the road of easy self fitting mid road stuff for that reason. Plus I dont think you will ever justify the expense as the majority of sites are electric included, wild camping is almost a no no now even getting that way abroad. It will take years rather than months to pay for its self. Plus the weather is against us in this country. But good luck with your choice ,the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
loads of places don't have electric including most of the aires and stellplatz over the water, UK camp sites just tell them that you don't want it, agreed it's a long time to get your money though but what price freedom.

Deleted User
For me its not about cost effectiveness, its about the ability to function more effectively.
This was evident last October booked on a NT campsite at half term, 2hrs into journey phone rings, sorry campsite flooded we can not accept booking.
Another alternative was offered but no EHU, we gratefully accept.
After two days despite having an additional 100ah AGM battery fitted we were out of power, poor weather no solar gain.
Lithium not only has more useable power, it has the ability to fast charge .

Dec 31, 2019
St Peter Port, Guernsey
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium768
Exp
" I'm a newbie "
It depends on what all you need to upgrade/add and the number and specification of the batteries. All the prices are on the Roadpro website. Installation takes about a day to a day and a half so add about £600/£1000.
There are many cheaper options available, drop in replacements etc, and if you can install yourself much cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back