At last House Sold now Fulltiming. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
13 yrs, caravan, motorhome
We love our Moho, and spend about 50% of our time living and touring Europe in it.
We greatly admire folk who sell up their bricks and mortar to pursue the "Full Time Dream" but that is something we'd never do.
For us its a step too far,,, way too far,,,
I guess you FullTimers possess more bottle'un'balls???!
In my opinion, it's not like being homeless. We have money in the bank, so can act immediately in an emergency. We're reluctant to buy again unless it's a Park Home. Might rent if the right place comes up. Where? We don't know yet.

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
If you have no fixed address and you have a car as well as the motorhome what address can you give the car insurer?
Thanks
It's currently stored and registered at a relatives. We will probably sell it quite soon as we are quite fit and have ebikes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In my opinion, it's not like being homeless. We have money in the bank, so can act immediately in an emergency. We're reluctant to buy again unless it's a Park Home. Might rent if the right place comes up. Where? We don't know yet.
Be careful about Park Homes as there are 'hidden charges' which you need to know about before you buy especially in relation to selling it on in the future where most will charge 10% commission minimum + VAT for doing nowt and they can work out a lot more expensive than a normal house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Just exchanged contracts , property took two and half years to sell, living in Motorhome until we find somewhere, using campsite , furniture in storage, nearly as cheap to rent and store furniture in rented place to be honest.

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
Be careful about Park Homes as there are 'hidden charges' which you need to know about before you buy especially in relation to selling it on in the future where most will charge 10% commission minimum + VAT for doing nowt and they can work out a lot more expensive than a normal house.
Yes, aware of those charges, also certain site owners are undesirable as a landlord. Which is why we haven't already bought one. £150per month site fees!, certainly put me off, that's almost a mortage. So we will full time as long as we enjoy it. Thanks :)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We looked at buying a Static Caravan in Felixstowe , first overheads ( according to 5 Owners we spoke to they were selling due to overhead costs) , that put us off as site company wanted just under £5000 site fees, soon as you buy it value drops at fast rate and you have difficulty selling, that's one reason we are in Motorhome

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When we left the UK over 22 years ago we were fulltiming, it was fantastic, freedom no Jobs, steady livable income, go where ever we want.....then slowly things changed, became more static.
Lived in Parkhome in the winter and travelled in MH in the summer.....the dream rolled on, then became even more static, moving into rented house, still travelled in the summer......now we live in our own apartment and still travel in the summer.....things have changed, but freedom remains....
Looking back, the Park Home set up was not a great idea, spoiled by greedy siteowners, lost a bit of cash on that....but we don't let that bother us....lesson learned...
Would I Fulltime again, perhaps not, like the freedom, but prefer the comfort when it matters, like getting older, weather.....forthcoming restricted travel in Europe could mean spending more time in the UK, however more and more are doing it, when we did it, it was unusual to meet others or did the same....one chance in life, do what suits you, don't look back, look forward, enjoy....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, aware of those charges, also certain site owners are undesirable as a landlord. Which is why we haven't already bought one. £150per month site fees!, certainly put me off, that's almost a mortage. So we will full time as long as we enjoy it. Thanks :)
Plus council tax as it would be classed as your main residence. Whilst you may be able to afford the 'home' itself in a place where a bricks and mortar type one may cost a heck of a lot more the running costs can be quite a bit more expensive especially if you have to buy your gas/electric direct from the site (yes I know new rules came in about this but it can still be expensive as you are tied to whoever they use rather than being able to use other suppliers).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We looked at buying a Static Caravan in Felixstowe , first overheads ( according to 5 Owners we spoke to they were selling due to overhead costs) , that put us off as site company wanted just under £5000 site fees, soon as you buy it value drops at fast rate and you have difficulty selling, that's one reason we are in Motorhome
That's the problem if you go for some of the larger commercial sites with facilities (eg shop, pool etc) as they hammer you on the site fees. The best way is to find a site without those things out of the popular areas with minimal fees. We had a static (well 2 actually as we 'upgraded' and sold the first on) at Chapel Hill near Coningsby which charged a relatively small amount for site fees and there was NO buying/selling fee whatsoever. It was a 10 month occupancy site (closed February/March) and was occupied by a lot of permanent residents (which was permitted), each static had its own garden/drive etc and some had conservatories, it was just like a small village with statics instead of houses - lovely.

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
Yes? scandalous! We will stay on the road as long as we can.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Forgot to say earlier one of the reasons when we decided to invest in 'property' we bought lodges which are built like bungalows (ie from the ground up and not on wheels) as they don't depreciate as static
caravans do.

r 12 a.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back