At Last Found It!, Been driving me mad, so it has. (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
On our way back from our highland tour we had a rattle/sqeek appear in our otherwise silent running van:D The rattle/squeek appeared to be over the top of TinaL's head on passenger side, coming from I thought something inside one of the side top lockers at the front.
TinaL stood up whilst on the move, started moving lifting everything out the locker cupboards but even when empty the bloody rattle still persisted.
I had resigned myself to thinking that as the van is two years old now, something in the overhead canopy maybe that you cant get to like a cable or something was rattling behind the back of the lockers.
On another trip out it started rattling again, I asked TinaL to take her time, see if she could narrow it down more accurately. Well she started moving towards the rear of the passenger seat into the lounge and started to point toward the nearside window, saying its the blind, or its the window frame!. To which of course being a bloke I said...Nah its not there its definitely over your head in one of those side lockers, I can hear it from here while I am driving!Look you can nearly see it, let alone hear it!!:rolleyes:
So she/we gave up as usual, put up with the rattle and turned up Deezer Music through the head unit, drowning out the insistent lady that very occasionally speaks to us when we have missed the turning on the Garmin Sat Nag.:swear:

TinaL does not have a C1, so cant drive the van on public roads.
So a couple of weeks back as were leaving the grass rally field at Pembrey country Park, TinaL took the wheel and drove round the perimeter of the rough field whilst I stood up trying to locate the rattle/squeek.
Well low & behold, I was shocked to find that the rattle/sqeek was, or appeared to be, coming from the near side lounge window as TinaL had suggested.( I did say Sorry Love)
I raised and lowered the blinds...nothing still rattled, I put my ear to the top lockers above but the rattle appeared to be behind them, so still nothing resolved.

Now by this time I am feeling a tad travel sick [placing my head and ear under up & under every orifice, so in sheer desperation I opened the side Seitz window for the first time ever. As it opened I was again impressed with the Vans window catches and hydraulic dampers, to my great surprise and relief the rattle stopped!!! I had found the bloody niggly thing after all those months...horaaaaay!, peace at last!
So feeling really chuffed that the rattle had at last been located and after she had pulled up and applied the handbrake, I gave TinaL a big hug and a kiss, complemented her on her "off Road" driving skills ( I am sure she got up to 3rd gear at one point:D)

Its amazing isn't it, that such a stupid little thing like a rattle can drive you mad, especially when you are used to "Silent Running"as the norm.
So question is now, will it be:
Talc Powder
Silicon Spray
Vaseline
Apologies to all that watched our van going round the field, they must have thought we were demented, or blind as we passed the gate so many times:D
Also to all those with Rattly vans from inception as I have been told "they all rattle" pleased say ours doesn't anymore.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

So where does/did you van rattle most, and how did you fix it? Does it drive you insane on a long run?

Les

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
On our way back from our highland tour we had a rattle/sqeek appear in our otherwise silent running van:D The rattle/squeek appeared to be over the top of TinaL's head on passenger side, coming from I thought something inside one of the side top lockers at the front.
TinaL stood up whilst on the move, started moving lifting everything out the locker cupboards but even when empty the bloody rattle still persisted.
I had resigned myself to thinking that as the van is two years old now, something in the overhead canopy maybe that you cant get to like a cable or something was rattling behind the back of the lockers.
On another trip out it started rattling again, I asked TinaL to take her time, see if she could narrow it down more accurately. Well she started moving towards the rear of the passenger seat into the lounge and started to point toward the nearside window, saying its the blind, or its the window frame!. To which of course being a bloke I said...Nah its not there its definitely over your head in one of those side lockers, I can hear it from here while I am driving!Look you can nearly see it, let alone hear it!!:rolleyes:
So she/we gave up as usual, put up with the rattle and turned up Deezer Music through the head unit, drowning out the insistent lady that very occasionally speaks to us when we have missed the turning on the Garmin Sat Nag.:swear:

TinaL does not have a C1, so cant drive the van on public roads.
So a couple of weeks back as were leaving the grass rally field at Pembrey country Park, TinaL took the wheel and drove round the perimeter of the rough field whilst I stood up trying to locate the rattle/squeek.
Well low & behold, I was shocked to find that the rattle/sqeek was, or appeared to be, coming from the near side lounge window as TinaL had suggested.( I did say Sorry Love)
I raised and lowered the blinds...nothing still rattled, I put my ear to the top lockers above but the rattle appeared to be behind them, so still nothing resolved.

Now by this time I am feeling a tad travel sick [placing my head and ear under up & under every orifice, so in sheer desperation I opened the side Seitz window for the first time ever. As it opened I was again impressed with the Vans window catches and hydraulic dampers, to my great surprise and relief the rattle stopped!!! I had found the bloody niggly thing after all those months...horaaaaay!, peace at last!
So feeling really chuffed that the rattle had at last been located and after she had pulled up and applied the handbrake, I gave TinaL a big hug and a kiss, complemented her on her "off Road" driving skills ( I am sure she got up to 3rd gear at one point:D)

Its amazing isn't it, that such a stupid little thing like a rattle can drive you mad, especially when you are used to "Silent Running"as the norm.
Talc Powder
Silicon Spray
Vaseline
Apologies to all that watched our van going round the field, they must have thought we were demented, or blind as we passed the gate so many times:D
Also to all those with Rattly vans from inception as I have been told "they all rattle" pleased say ours doesn't anymore.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

So where does/did you van rattle most, and how did you fix it? Does it drive you insane on a long run?

Les
So you leave your window open when you travel ? ??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was once stupid enough to buy a brand new swift and the roof skin was loose and rattled at motorway speeds or parked up on a windy day

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
In our motorhome its me that rattles, well my old arthritic bones do Les.

Seriously though, our old bus is actually quite quiet by motorhome standards & I'm grateful for that mate.

Glad you've got it pinpointed now, I'd use silicone spray as a starting point, or we could always swap motorhomes?
After all, what are friends for? ::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Talc Powder
Silicon Spray
Vaseline
Talc often has perfumes that attack neropene, vaseline is petroleum base and will also attack.
You can try:
Unperfumed baby powder.
Silicon spray.
Olive oil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I didn't realise just how noisy our van is until I set the dashcam to audio and then happened to listen to part of a trip.

And I thought beforehand that I was going deaf!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had an unidentified noise last week. I could hear it but my husband couldn’t but when we went through tunnels it was amplified and was clearly associated with the rear wheels.

Earlier in our trip we picked up a huge stone which wedged itself between the wheels so we thought it could be another smaller stone. It wasn’t that.

After driving slowly down a side road we discovered that one of the weights used to balance the wheels had come loose and was sliding round with the motion of the wheels and hitting the other weight!

We had a puncture repaired a couple of weeks ago and think it may have come loose when the tyre was taken off. As you say, a little noise can be so annoying!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Drove my car home after its service, thought there was a strange noise, like rushing air, but just thought it was my ears. Over the next couple of days the noise drove me mad. I checked all the windows were closing tightly, closed all the vents, opened all the vents. Drove back to the garage ( nearly 20 miles away!) and service manage sat in while I drove up the road. Definitely a strange noise, he agreed. Back at the garage I handed over the keys for mechanics to check it then he called me back. Is your aerial always like that ? ( pointing forward) Don’t think so, never noticed it like that before. He pushes it back so it’s lying almost flat ——noise gone. Car washing person had moved it when giving it its after service wash.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
‘An annoying noise annoys an oyster’

The only noise we have is if one of the window blinds hasn’t been pushed right down other than that it’s road train noise!

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Our carthago has had a very annoying squeek from day one, it sounds like 2 empty plastic pop bottles rubbing together and it is coming from the tech tower unit I think from behind the fridge.

I reported it to the dealer and went back after 3 weeks of ownership and dealer had it all day, all done sir when I went to collect it, great I though but no 30yds up the road and still the same.

Now done 7000 miles and still the same so if anyone knows a place I could take it to get it fixed please let me know, I don't care about warrenty I will gladly pay someone to sort it. I think the fridge may need to come out so not a simple fix I don't think

Reactions: Aji

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Turned out to be the nearside lounge window blind.little wedge of paper sorted it.
Electric bed above us “bumps“ occasionally.

Best noise is the rattle of sweeties in the glove box. Always relieved to hear that one.:)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have never had a noisy van. Mind you, if I put my hearing aids in they all squeak like a biscuit tin full of mice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back