At last! Adding third party POIs to 'forbidden' TomTom Go models (2 Viewers)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you are the long-suffering owner of a TomTom Go 40, 50, 60, 400, 500, 510, 600, 610, 5000, 6000, 5100, 6100, Rider 400, or Rider 40 and have NOT been able to add third party POIs, it is now possible with a bit of jiggery pokery.

I have a Go 5000 and have been itching to add the CCI aire POIs - I've finally done this after the latest firmware update and a bit of faff and bother, and would like to share how (bear with me, it's worth it).

1. You need at least 400Mb of free space in the device's main storage area, despite the fact that most POI files are way smaller than this.
2. If you've got the full fat W Europe map that shows you dinky little 3D graphics of largely non-existent buildings, your device may well be too full to add more files. By connecting your device up to your computer and logging in to your MyDrive Connect software you can swap this map for a building free W Europe version that is only about 6Gb. This can be long-winded because the downloads take a while.
3. Once your map has been replaced you have storage space to play with. You need to go online and find the POI files you want (eg the free aire files on CCI's website) and save the .ov2 file (only) into a folder on your computer ready for upload. Don't bother with any accompanying .bmp files - your Go won't accept them. You can rename the .ov2 files if you wish (for example France_All_Aires) but use underscores for spaces.
4. Now you need to go to TomTom MyDrive (http://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/) with your device plugged in to the computer, and log in to your account.
5. The important bit: You also need to log your SatNav into your MyDrive account - I found this option under TomTom Services on the final menu page of my SatNav. Same e-mail and password as you use online.
6. Back on your computer, top left of the MyDrive webpage (which is probably now showing a map of your location) are four option tabs - choose My Places and POI Files, click Import POI File at the bottom, then choose Select File on the next menu. Navigate to the folder you created in 3 above, select an .ov2 file (one at a time only) and click Open. If a prompt about being logged in on your SatNav comes up, just click it. Your SatNav will flash up a banner message when the upload is complete, and a list of uploads will display in MyDrive.
7. Right, assuming all's well, how do you find the POI files on the SatNav? They appear in My Places at the bottom of the menu/list under Marked Locations. The filename you chose in 3 above will be displayed (eg France All Aires). You select the POI you want to search and the filename will become the start of the search text - all you do then is add further detail (ie town name) to pinpoint what you're looking for, (eg France All Aires Gravelines). And that's it.

Two TomTom tiptips:

1. If using the CCI Aires POI file, it's handy to know the index number of the aire you're looking for as that makes searching easier, for example The Ave Jean Moulin aire in La Rochelle is number 1931, so those numbers alone will pinpoint it when searching your POI file.

2. If you're looking to expand the storage space on your TomTom SatNav with a micro SD card, they're fussy. Use SanDisk brand, maximum 8Gb. I tried a PNY 8Gb (from Curry's) and had no joy whatsoever. SanDisk worked straight away.

Enjoy your POIs - you have not been charged for this service :)

For the same info in TomTomSpeak - click here.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have emailed this info to john give him something to think about, thanks

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Perfect, thanks (y)

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just back from 3 weeks in France and the CCI Aire POIs worked perfectly on our Go 5000, searching by reference number, town name, aire type, nearest to me etc. A major bonus and a much easier trip as a result.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back