Feb 18, 2020
Cymru / Wales
Funster No
MH
Planning van con
Exp
Aspirational
Heia pawb!

I've been strongly entertaining the idea of doing a van conversion for about a month since I first became obsessed with the idea. It's something I've said "one day..." about for years but I only really thought about it after watching van conversions on Youtube. I'm approaching a crossroads in my life because of work and tenancies so it seems like a great time to try and take the plunge (after I save up a lot more money...). I've just started driving lessons (late 20s but I just never fancied learning) so, yeah, I'm really starting from the bottom. I looked around for a forum to join so I can absorb more knowledge and have a place to inevitably ask the million questions I will have along the way!

I'm currently really big on the idea of a Luton box van conversion, after previously leaning more towards a panel van like a Sprinter (how unique, I know...). Video below is the sort of thing I'm dreaming about right now. I also make music so I'm starting to think about how I could get a good speaker set up based around a mount for my iMac, and maybe a mounted audio mixer ... but this is the sort of thing which will come much later!

I've got a long way to go, years I figure. But you don't get there if you don't try!

The question that's I've been wondering recently: Why aren't there that many Luton box van conversions? Most van conversions seem to be panel vans. Is there that much of a difference in how they are to drive that puts most people off, are Lutons that hard to park, etc? Or is it just other people are being a bit more economical with how much space they have?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for general resources for understanding the basic principles of wiring up electrics and plumbing I'd be very interested. It's going to be so long away once I do this I figure I can afford to absorb some more general knowledge now. I don't want to just follow some guide to build the van I want to actually understand how each bit works. Same for car maintenance, come to think of it. ... Like I said, a long way to go ...

Look forward to chatting with you!

- Yolo

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
There are quite a few self-builders/converters on the forum and if you invest £15 to become a member you will be able to search for threads that will interest you.
A couple of important things to be aware of with a luton conversion.
1 it might not meet DVLA rules to be registered as a campervan
2 weight - when you eventually learn to drive and get your licence, it will only allow you to drive vehicles up to 3500kg. The conversion in the video with all the domestic fittings and lots of wood is most certainly over that limit.

Deleted User
The DVLA do list the Luton Van as one they will consider for conversion, just have to make it look like a campervan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yoloswaggins

yoloswaggins

Free Member
Feb 18, 2020
Cymru / Wales
Funster No
MH
Planning van con
Exp
Aspirational
The DVLA do list the Luton Van as one they will consider for conversion, just have to make it look like a campervan.

I don't particularly want it to look too much like a campervan beyond unavoidable stuff. The gov.uk link Borderland posted says:

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

Then looking at the internal requirements, they all seem pretty common sense: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

Everyone feel free not to answer, because this info is probably elsewhere (I'm replying quickly on my break), but why does a conversion need to be registered as a campervan if, externally, it doesn't look that much like a campervan? Is it just for insurance purposes? Obviously want the extra stuff on board insured, not just a basic van. But why do the DVLA still insist on knowing?

Hi and welcome, it may be worth visiting this forums' sister forum.
There are a lot of comments about how difficultu it is to get a van conversion approved by the DVLA at the moment so may be worth looking at this.

Thanks for the links! I suspect I'll have to spend a lot of time reading what the DVLA has to say...

Deleted User
Everyone feel free not to answer, because this info is probably elsewhere (I'm replying quickly on my break), but why does a conversion need to be registered as a campervan if, externally, it doesn't look that much like a campervan? Is it just for insurance purposes? Obviously want the extra stuff on board insured, not just a basic van. But why do the DVLA still insist on knowing?

Thanks for the links! I suspect I'll have to spend a lot of time reading what the DVLA has to say...
If it does get registered as a campervan then insurance will be easier to find with more companies to choose from. If the internal fit out complies with the DVLA guidelines (which is fairly straightforward) then it can still be used as a campervan and that gives the benefit of being able to comply with the campervan speed limits rather than the van speed limits.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
main reason lutons are not as popular is the cab and hab are seperated not a problem for someone in one place for weeks but a pain if your actually traveling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Most luton vans have crappy ply grp wall panels. They screw brackets to it on the inside, water gets it and they rot out (especially if living in one) . The roof skin is usually always a piss thin sheet of fiberglass that wobbles about.

There are aluminium bodied ones out there, my mate lives in a VW LT luton van with an aluminium body. Definitely worth scouting for one rather than make dooing.

I would chose a luton over a panel van, mainly because they are alot taller and alot bigger inside ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back