Asking for tips when buying a new Motorhome at the NEC (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
Apologies for the long waffly post, but I wanted to give plenty of background before we asked for your help.

We are just a few weeks away from completing the sale of our house and having the cash available for our new motorhome. Probably late July/early August. We are not totally restricted by budget but, like everyone, want value for money and the spend as little as practical.

We are experienced travellers (3 continents, Arctic Circle and Sahara in a Land Rover Discovery) and have done oodles and oodles of research on layouts, makes, extras, etc. etc. and have finalised our choice down to a Swift Escape 622 auto (or dealer variant).

The dealer 'special editions' (Champagne, Freestyle, Coastline, Carmarge, Seeker, Vogue, Spirit, etc. etc.) pack in several useful extras, over the basic Escape model, for not a lot extra dosh and would seem a good option. Sadly, due to the time of year, the 2019 versions of these models have all but disappeared from the forecourts and won't be replaced until the 2020 'influx' after September/October.

So we face a dilemma (albeit a good one). Do we opt for a 2019 base Escape model that has been on the forecourt for while and bolt the extra bits on ourselves or do we wait for the NEC show and the 'new release' of 2020 dealer specials?

Option 1 gives the possibility of a lower price and chance to haggle to clear the dealer's forecourt ready for new models and get us the motorhome earlier so we can enjoy an extra few months of this summer.

Option 2 gives the possibility of a newer, better spec'd van, more choice of colours, graphics, trim, etc. and a 'show deal'.

We have visited the show in previous years and know that deals can be had, but would love to hear from anyone that has actually bought at the show and just how much they managed to haggle the price down or amount of added extras they got thrown in.

We'd especially love to hear from anyone that has bought a 'dealer special' to see what kind of lead time applies to show purchases. The fact that all the relevant dealers will be within walking distance of each other, all with comparable trim/spec'd models should help with some leverage (or does it?)

Any show specific tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ralph & Belinda

PS. There is an Option 3 which is a secondhand model. If the right one pops up at the right time, we would definitely consider it as a viable alternative, but our initial preference is for a new model.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We did what we said we would never ever do :

1 We bought a new van
2 We bought at a show
3 It was a factory order

We did exactly the same thing this year. In Spain at the moment with our Adria Matrix Supreme 670dc, had it since end of April and up to now, touch wood. loving it. I think Adria might have pushed their motorhomes through this year trying to beat the first Brexit deadline. We got ours from Signature in Preston and it was a show offer with loads of extras.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I think Ralph has his heart set on a Swift. It wouldn't be my choice but we all have our individual preferences. I would still shop around Ralph. We went around all our local dealers in NW then went on a tour of the South for a week looking to trade our van in for a brand newy. As I've said on here there is a huge difference between dealers. We were offered between 24k and 38k for our old van, eventually took the 38k off Signature but they have only just put the van up for sale, now asking 39k so I think we did ok there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Final word of warning Ralph...about 7 years ago I bumped into a guy in Spain with a beautiful brand new Baileys caravan. He told me it was the second one...the first had started to 'disintegrate before his own eyes' on a trip to Eastern Europe. When he returned it to the Dealer they asked where he'd been with it and when he told them he was told that "these vans are only designed for a few weeks holidaying in the uk each year". He had to take them to court to get the replacement. Good luck with the search. My view is that there are some very knowledgeable people on here who know their stuff, but others who just can't get there head around why you want a new van, and why it isn't foreign. I bought new because I can. I prefer Continental vans but I also had a swift caravan years ago for 13 years and when I eventually sold it it was as dry as a bone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
10 years overlanding in a Discovery. Sahara, Arctic, Iceland and Asia with more to come.
I think Ralph has his heart set on a Swift.....

That's not quite correct. If Burstner, Adria, Carado, Hymer, Auto Sleeper, etc. etc. produced a motorhome that met as many of our requirements as the 622 does, then we would buy whichever one had the best build quality/reviews. We are both very open to any brand, but the size and bed layout are key elements that guide our choice. We have spent 7 months researching (including reading lots on here) to get to where we are.

..... I would still shop around Ralph. We went around all our local dealers in NW then went on a tour of the South for a week looking to trade our van in for a brand newy. As I've said on here there is a huge difference between dealers. We were offered between 24k and 38k for our old van, eventually took the 38k off Signature but they have only just put the van up for sale, now asking 39k so I think we did ok there.

We will definitely shop around although the availability of the model we want is limited at this time of the buying year. At the moment I can only find 2 in stock in the UK! That's why we were considering the NEC, as the choice would be much greater and the shopping around would be contained to a couple of days.

I still don't know whether to go for a current lower spec 2019 forecourt model for £44k (- any discount I can negotiate) and add the extras myself or wait till the show and try and haggle on a better spec'd 2020 dealer model that could start around £50k (- any show details or negotiated discounts) but get more choice of colours etc.

Decisions, decisions.......:)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks for all the comments, but we seem to have got a little sidetracked into my choice of Motorhome rather than any tips on how to get it cheaper:D

So, trying to get back on track, can any of you kind folk help me with any negotiating tips for the NEC? Even if I don't end up buying one there I'm sure they would be useful to know(y)(y)(y)
My suggestion is try to get the best deal you can before you get there then go on the first day to the dealers tell them either what deal you want or ask what the best is they can offer. Make it clear that you are a serious buyer with the wonga and ask for their best offer by the end of the day. On day 2 go back to them say what the best deal is you have been offered (but not who is offering it) say you are just checking before you do the deal if they can't get lower are they able to offer any sweeteners like a set of levelling ramps/refillable gas etc . In the end make your mind up but remember the cheapest deal might not be the best if another dealer is closer and a better reputation it may be worth paying a little more. If its a model that sticks on the forecourt it may well be hard to shift when you come to sell but then again if you but at the right price it might not be too bad if you need to reduce the price to sell. I think the comments about VAT are a red herring dealers often use the VAT excuse as a reason for a low rade in on a nearly new used van but the value of anything is what someone will pay for it after all there's the same amount of VAT on all m/h but secondhand some go down quicker than others and as no-one has the option of a VAT free new m/h its all in the price somewhere.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My final thought, my last 2 were “bought” at the NEC show in Oct.
Reality was that the deal was done on the ground in the weeks before , after the new models were released

I then closed the deals AT the show by playing my choice off against other similar marques that i had no intention of buying
Remember though if you buy at the show in Oct, you may not see it until summer 2020

Done

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
If it’s any help we full timed in a swift bessacar e630 for nearly three years, most of which was in Europe. Had quite a few warranty issues dealt with by our dealer (Don Amott), and it was never mentioned about the 90 day clause. I should say the dealers knew we travelled Europe and even asked for postcards!

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With regards to buying at the NEC for some makes of motorhome there is a better deal to be had - if you know what model you want to what specification & any extras & have shopped around all the dealers to get them down as low as they will go then at the Show you get the manufacturers Show Deal on top (normally £1-2K of extras) as that doesn't come out of the dealers budget. Some dealers will tell you that they can do a better deal at the October Show because of this but that may not be the case for the make or dealers that you are considering.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
......Reality was that the deal was done on the ground in the weeks before , after the new models were released......
If we go down the NEC route then I shall be contacting each of the dealers well in advance to check the new models.

......Remember though if you buy at the show in Oct, you may not see it until summer 2020.....

TBH That's the biggest quandary. Do we buy a lower spec one now and add the extras ourselves or wait 3 months to order and expose ourselves to the risk of a further multi-month wait for it to be delivered. This means missing out on several months or enjoyment.

I would have thought that the bigger dealers would have pre-ordered some of the special editions so they could have some demonstrators for the show and so they could be delivered in weeks rather than months after the show.

If it’s any help we full timed in a swift bessacar e630 for nearly three years, most of which was in Europe. Had quite a few warranty issues dealt with by our dealer (Don Amott), and it was never mentioned about the 90 day clause. I should say the dealers knew we travelled Europe and even asked for postcards!

Thanks for that info especially regarding Don Amott as this is one of the dealers that currently has a suitable van in stock. All the reviews I read seem to give them top marks for service.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
So, as part of my research, I had a chat with a Salesman at Brownhills today. As I suspected they have no dealer special "Champagne' models let and can't order any until Swift announce the 2020 changes.

One bit of good news is that depending upon build schedule I might be able to take delivery of one in September or October. This is longer than I wanted but bearable (just).
He is going to ring me in a few weeks to give me the updated spec (he doubts that there will many changes) and the new price (probably increased :cry: ).

We have looked at the Champagne and Freestyle (Lowdhams) and do prefer them over the base escape model.

We have both decided that the short term benefits of getting the base model now will be outweighed in the longer term by the feeling that we didn't get what we really wanted. We plan on keeping the van for many years. The trouble is that I am a very impatient b*gger:unsure:

So now comes the long drawn out process of trying to negotiate a good price and/or some included extras (refillable gas, extra battery, etc. etc.).....

Once again any tips would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
You can possibly hire the 622 first before you commit to it.

Also in the same layout and length is the more upmarket IH630RL:

It is more money but so is the quality, backup and being a PVC it's fundamentally tougher. I.e. a greater chance of a happy ownership experience.

One thing I'd go for is 16" wheels, very tricky to retrofit as the PCD is different, some claim you can get 16s that fit 15 hubs but I've not seen it. Fiat autos are nice when they work well.

The NEC show is what it is, it's where I ordered mine (which is now finally built!), go on the first day if you want to buy a sought after model. Nothing wrong with shows or the show model IMO, the advantage of buying a show model is you get it quickly and see exactly what you get!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph Hardwick
Sep 30, 2018
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 202
Exp
Thanks.
We had looked at hiring one, but it felt a bit like 'dead money' at £1.2 per week we could spend that on touring once we have ours.
We did rent a Roller Team T590 last November as we thought that was the right motorhome. It taught us a lot. It proved that we liked the lifestyle, but not that particular van.
If we can't get a van until October time, then It might still be an option.
We looked at the ih vans and loved the quality feel. Sadly didn't particularly like the style. We felt they were more 'Stately 1920's cruise liner' rather than 'modern, contemporary motorhome'.
Style is very subjective and we may have grown to like it, but with a price tag of nearly £70k it was just too much. We wanted to stick to as near to £50k as possible as this would leave us enough funds, from the house sale, to have a comfortable lifestyle and tour regularly. We would have to go for a S/H 2015 model to get near to that price.
If we were going to spend £70k we would probably have gone for an Auto-Sleeper Bourton on the Merc chassis.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back