ASDA Mobile PAYG (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
I have a 1p sim in my phone, but since they now charge a minimum of £2.50 a month I'm looking for something else (I make nowhere near 250 minutes of calls per month). I don't need data except when I'm away, so a monthly contract is not an option.

I quite like the idea of Asda's PAYG credit not expiring, so I ordered one of their sims, and have made at least a dozen attempts to top up, all successful. (I'm aware they've just changed over to the Vodafone network, but it seems that problems still persist) .

Anyway I decided to check them on Trustpilot, and all the reviews are quite appalling.

It seems they used to be good, but not now.

Does anyone have any recent experience of them? I'm definitely having second thoughts.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We recently sent for the sim for a spare 'emergency' phone. Put £10 credit on. Works no problems. In Spain at the moment and short of data so bought a £10 bundle to included 10 g data to be used in a month. Works well - use the phone to tether other devices. Quite happy. Funnily enough have been able to download bbc iplayer using it when other data/wifi would not allow it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a 1p sim in my phone, but since they now charge a minimum of £2.50 a month I'm looking for something else (I make nowhere near 250 minutes of calls per month). I don't need data except when I'm away, so a monthly contract is not an option.

I quite like the idea of Asda's PAYG credit not expiring, so I ordered one of their sims, and have made at least a dozen attempts to top up, all successful. (I'm aware they've just changed over to the Vodafone network, but it seems that problems still persist) .

Anyway I decided to check them on Trustpilot, and all the reviews are quite appalling.

It seems they used to be good, but not now.

Does anyone have any recent experience of them? I'm definitely having second thoughts.
I have got one but only in a second phone, so only use it about once a month but havnt had any problems with it , I am still on the first £10 top up after about 5 months.
Julie has also got one in her spare phone and uses it more than me with no problems.
But as you say it does use Vodafone which is a pity as my main phone is on that and could have done with it being on something else.
But as to your op , no not found any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well, just got my other phone up and running on Asda, and it never used to work in the house with ee but now it is working in the house.
Just read the trust pilot thing and , no we haven't encountered any of the problems on there.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
My autocorrect!

Of course it should be unbgfchgfh (unsuccessful)!
We have 2 ASDA SIMS one for the Inet box and one for mifi. The Inet one was on the old network so we changed that one over and the balance etc. moved OK and topped up online no problems. The one for MiFi we topped up online for our holiday and will top up again in a few weeks for next holiday. Not sure what problems you are having but you need to register a payment card (I believe there was an issue and you have to re-register it to get it to work) then you can top up to whatever bundle or PAYG amount you need. Only think I find strange is if you have 2 sims you need 2 accounts as you can only have 1 sim per account!!

I may swap the 2 sims round as the one on the old network has unlimited data abroad I think whereas the new one only has 25GB limit but will double check as it would mean having to set up the Inet box again...

OP
OP
GoldenVision
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
I did register a card, no problem. Using that to top up just doesn't work. They do have a message stating they are experiencing difficulties with payments - and the Trustpilot reviews certainly echo that. But it's been like that for several days.

Some reviews also refer to unauthorised payments being taken from their cards...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got an ASDA (Vodafone) in the second sim slot of the phone and it works no problem. Only reason it's there is to give wife and I all 4 networks to maximise connectivity when touring Northern \ Western Scotland.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
If it is a sim for occasional use you need Minxy Girl told us about Rwg mobile. It is a free SIM with 50 mins a month free and 250mb data. I ordered one and works fine as a back-up in my phone. Works on the ee network.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another option is the £8 a month one where you submit the bills every now and then to get cashback making it £2 a month (£24 a year) for unlimited calls & texts and 8gb of data.

OP
OP
GoldenVision
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Another option is the £8 a month one where you submit the bills every now and then to get cashback making it £2 a month (£24 a year) for unlimited calls & texts and 8gb of data.

I'm happy to do cashbacks as a one-off, but relying on a recurring cashback is more than a little risky. This offer doesn't seem to be there anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back