Asda canopy- Am I in trouble? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No doubt when out with other motorcyclists you will be the sort of people who love to take up a whole car parking bay with each motorcycle rather than parking in one bay together.
Three of us parked our bikes in one bay (no m/bike parking that we could see) at Sherringham and we all got tickets. We appealed and were told it was one vehicle per bay.
Most bike tanks hold less than 20 litres. It takes no longer to fill a bike than a car, especially when car owners feel the need to do shopping, change the kids nappy, reset their satnav, or enter every detail of the fuel purchase and mileage in their 'accounts' book. I've seen 'em all.

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Buildings jumping out to attack motor homes - whatā€™s the world coming too!
Jasper Carrott insurance claims collection includes: 'I reversed into the wrong drive and hit a wall that I don't have ...' :LOL:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Was confused by the earlier comment as I always fill my car, lock it and then walk to the shop to pay, am I supposed to drive off and park somewhere else then?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think there's a bit of confusion going on ref the motorcycle 'spat' ... some are talking about the drive through kiosks some the walk in shop type ones, this is my view on them.

Drive-through kiosk: if your vehicle is physically able to exit via the kiosk (ie it's not too wide/high to fit through and the road isn't too tight for you to do so ... been there, got the T-shirt!) then even if it means you have to get out/off it when there to pay that's what you should do - if it's a chore for bikers to mess about with gloves etc then shove them in your jacket or anywhere else, even sit on the ruddy things, pay and then exit pull up just outside the area and sort yourself out (I got my motorcycle licence many years ago and this is what I'd do if necessary). There's simply no excuse for holding up others as these type of fuel stations are meant to speed up fuelling and paying, not the opposite.​
Shop: Leave your vehicle whatever it is at the pump and go in to pay, this is what the usual procedure is and what others expect you to do, however if you know you are going to be a while (eg shopping) it is courteous to pull your vehicle out of the way then go in to pay.​

As for inconvenience others ... we had an issue with a selfish driver when we stopped at a 'shop' type fuel station when returning home in our MH on Tuesday. We pulled in to the pump which is where the LPG pump was and stopped behind a car which had just been filled. We waited patiently behind as the female driver and a younger female (assume mother and daughter) went into the shop, they took an absolute age as they had done some shopping whilst in there but eventually returned to the car. I'd already got out of the MH, donned my thick fleece-lined purple 'Marigold' type gloves and put the adaptor on the gas filler, but instead of apologising for holding us up which is what most 'civil' poeple would do they proceeded to go to the boot, get out some bags and start putting the shopping in them, there was absolutely no need for them to do this as they didn't have a lot and they could have done it later/elsewhere - it was obvious they were just being ignorant prats and doing it on purpose by the slowness with which they were packing it away. I very politely asked if she could pull away a bit so we could fill but was met with a load of 'attitude', she then well spat her dummy out and said she could stay as long as she wanted and in fact had forgotten to buy some bits so both went back into the shop. It didn't actually make any difference to us in the end though as I notice that there was an extra long filler hose on the LPG pump so I got hubby to drive the MH a bit closer to the rear of her car and was able to fill up the gas anyway. I had nearly finished when they walked back to the car ... it was such a disappointment that she didn't want to go in her boot again as she'd have been totally stuffed as there was only a 6 inch gap and we wouldn't have moved. :giggle:

After a load of verbal from both of them (I gave as good as I got though but without the 'flowery' language they were using), they got in the car and drove about 2 ft away then stopped ... hubby had got out by now and was standing at the front offside corner of our MH watching her in case she decided to accidentally put it in reverse and 'tap' us ... she sat there for about 30 seconds then drove off with more verbal from them both ... such ladies! They were no doubt miffed that we'd managed to fill despite their trying to stop us with their actions, all the pillocks had actually done was inconvenience themselves by spending a lot more time there than they had originally planned. :LOL:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I think there's a bit of confusion going on ref the motorcycle 'spat' ... some are talking about the drive through kiosks some the walk in shop type ones, this is my view on them.

Drive-through kiosk: if your vehicle is physically able to exit via the kiosk (ie it's not too wide/high to fit through and the road isn't too tight for you to do so ... been there, got the T-shirt!) then even if it means you have to get out/off it when there to pay that's what you should do - if it's a chore for bikers to mess about with gloves etc then shove them in your jacket or anywhere else, even sit on the ruddy things, pay and then exit pull up just outside the area and sort yourself out (I got my motorcycle licence many years ago and this is what I'd do if necessary). There's simply no excuse for holding up others as these type of fuel stations are meant to speed up fuelling and paying, not the opposite.​
Shop: Leave your vehicle whatever it is at the pump and go in to pay, this is what the usual procedure is and what others expect you to do, however if you know you are going to be a while (eg shopping) it is courteous to pull your vehicle out of the way then go in to pay.​

As for inconvenience others ... we had an issue with a selfish driver when we stopped at a 'shop' type fuel station when returning home in our MH on Tuesday. We pulled in to the pump which is where the LPG pump was and stopped behind a car which had just been filled. We waited patiently behind as the female driver and a younger female (assume mother and daughter) went into the shop, they took an absolute age as they had done some shopping whilst in there but eventually returned to the car. I'd already got out of the MH, donned my thick fleece-lined purple 'Marigold' type gloves and put the adaptor on the gas filler, but instead of apologising for holding us up which is what most 'civil' poeple would do they proceeded to go to the boot, get out some bags and start putting the shopping in them, there was absolutely no need for them to do this as they didn't have a lot and they could have done it later/elsewhere - it was obvious they were just being ignorant prats and doing it on purpose by the slowness with which they were packing it away. I very politely asked if she could pull away a bit so we could fill but was met with a load of 'attitude', she then well spat her dummy out and said she could stay as long as she wanted and in fact had forgotten to buy some bits so both went back into the shop. It didn't actually make any difference to us in the end though as I notice that there was an extra long filler hose on the LPG pump so I got hubby to drive the MH a bit closer to the rear of her car and was able to fill up the gas anyway. I had nearly finished when they walked back to the car ... it was such a disappointment that she didn't want to go in her boot again as she'd have been totally stuffed as there was only a 6 inch gap and we wouldn't have moved. :giggle:

After a load of verbal from both of them (I gave as good as I got though but without the 'flowery' language they were using), they got in the car and drove about 2 ft away then stopped ... hubby had got out by now and was standing at the front offside corner of our MH watching her in case she decided to accidentally put it in reverse and 'tap' us ... she sat there for about 30 seconds then drove off with more verbal from them both ... such ladies! They were no doubt miffed that we'd managed to fill despite their trying to stop us with their actions, all the pillocks had actually done was inconvenience themselves by spending a lot more time there than they had originally planned. :LOL:

As I said in my posting about ignoring the driver, there was plenty of other pumps to use and I tend to ignore people who shout at me no matter what language itā€™s in. ;)

The way we refuel at the kiosk type check outs, is our tried and tested method and rarely have we inconvenienced anyone. The amount of times our UK cards have been rejected (mainly in France) means if we were sat on our bikes, at the one and only open kiosk, I think weā€™d have been shouted at far moreā€¦ā€¦just like the drivers who pull up behind motorcycles at toll booths and expect them to be able to act as quick as they do.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Lack of forward observation by some drivers I guess.(y)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year

What horrible people, so unnecessary! I Can count on one hand the number of times I have meet people who act like this and tend to just shrug it off as think they must be very unhappy to start with being such pratā€™s.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
My pennies worth, it will be quite an expensive insurance claim, clearly drivers fault, but that's why we have insurance because we make mistakes. I like others get annoyed about things that should never bother me, motor cyclists have on occasion annoyed me, but in general will move left to let them pass easily. If we all had a little more patience with each other we would be happier.
Me standing in queue, older person wanting to pay with change from their purse, 94p in change 90,91,92, 93 oh dear I haven't enough I will have to pay by card, five minutes later they have found the right card but cant remember their pin meanwhile my ice cream is melting, fuming at silly old sod, forgetting that tomorrow I'm that silly old sod.

Deleted User
Three of us parked our bikes in one bay (no m/bike parking that we could see) at Sherringham and we all got tickets. We appealed and were told it was one vehicle per bay.
Most bike tanks hold less than 20 litres. It takes no longer to fill a bike than a car, especially when car owners feel the need to do shopping, change the kids nappy, reset their satnav, or enter every detail of the fuel purchase and mileage in their 'accounts' book. I've seen 'em all
The parking site was taking the P@@@, as long as you were all within the bay. Total scammers!! It used to be the case that carparks had motorcycle bays which were free, since they have gone private they take all sorts of scams to con people out of money. Like those ANPR registration scam machines.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Unless they discover a structural problem when they remove the trim, it looks like a new trim is all thatā€™s required

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So sorry about the damage. I hope the insurance sorts it for you.

I once pulled into an air pump bay - walked back to the shop to pay for my fuel and ask them to switch on the air line (I'd been there before so knew the drill - ask and pay before using the air line). When I got back to the air line a "gentleman" had pulled across the back of my car and gave me a mouthful for blocking the air line. Anyway I checked my car tyres and the cashier came out and asked the guy blocking me in to move - which he did with poor grace. By the time he had pulled into the now vacated air line bay it had been turned off so he had to leave his car and go and ask for it to be reactivated! I do sometimes wonder what he thought after he realised I actually did know what I was doing and was a bright crayon in the box and not a sandwich short of a picnic!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Id have started letting the air out their tyres as soon as they walked back in the shop šŸ˜ they'd have soon moved or had to visit the air pump.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its been two months now and still no claim.
I guess they have decided it shouldn't have been possible to clout that canopy
Fingers crossed for you, I was wondering the other day if you'd heard anything ... looks like the virtual drinks are on you! :giggle:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
And the above comment is exactly why so many motorists despise you selfish motorcyclists. You should be ashamed but will not have the moral fibre to be so.

No doubt when out with other motorcyclists you will be the sort of people who love to take up a whole car parking bay with each motorcycle rather than parking in one bay together. After all us mere motorists don't matter do we. You of course are the Kings of the road.

Back to the original OP, sorry for your trouble. It is easy to make such a mistake and I agree that a bollard or kerb should have been placed to avoid such innocent accidents.

I hope that you have protected no-claims? Good luck with it.
A motorbike is a vehicle and entitled to take up one parking place, after all you pay tax for it the same as a car.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Absolutely. Wot yu avin?
OooooOooOOooo .... let me think .... how about a nice cuppa! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I filled the RV with LPG at ASDA Derby about 2 weeks ago, never hit anything on my way out. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
... must try harder! :LOL:

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Neither have I, no idea if there's a reason for that.
They like to be sure you are filling legal bottles before they switch on the pumps. They are exactly the same in France. Although the Germans do have credit card LPG pumps

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I've been in a few Asda petrol stations since , most of them have that corner dented
Are your suggesting that Stealaway is a serial corner basher? Surely not :rofl:.

In 2009 I did the same thing in a Leclerc, whilst under the directions of Dorset Lady. I felt the van tip slightly went into their carpark and had a peak at the damage on the van. Just a slight rub. Surreptitiously checked the kiosk and not much to be seen. They hadn't noticed. :blush:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Slowed down on the Gin then? :drinks:
:sick: ... I rarely drink anything, once a year is a lot for me and even then it would be so watered down with lemonade I'd hardly taste it ... I even dilute Sangria at a rate of 1 to 4 parts lemonade! šŸ˜„

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back