Asda canopy- Am I in trouble? (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Itā€™s all Asdaā€™s fault!! Make a big thing about warning signs being inadequate and that they are to blameā€¦ā€¦.youā€™ve nothing to lose as your ncd and renewal premium are at risk.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why is half of the side piece a different colour green? I wonder if it has been bashed before and painted without being refitted properly or modified to prevent this happening again?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Cant you pay at the pump?
The lpg pump is in the pay at kiosk lanes at Cribbs Bristol Asda so I assume the same at the others mentioned here. No way I could reach down to the attendant at the low window from the Ducato cab especially as the window does not fully retract. I held up following vehicles while I jumped out to pay before reaching the kiosk but it was a tight exit through once paid. Reminds me of the French fuel stations at some smaller IntermarchƩ stores, We once had to drive over a plastic hollow bollard to negotiate the pay kiosk.

I will remember the tip to reverse out of the Asda pump and exit through pay at pump lanes next time. (I will pay at kiosk first of course!). The lpg pump is the first you get to so no one should be behind unless queuing for the pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Because in the architects text book there isn't a chapter labelled dumb arse moho drivers and how to help them avoid things šŸ˜‘
Dumb arse?
Should I feel insulted?

Obviously I'm not like you, I make mistakes from time to time.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
When filling up our motorcycles we leave them at the pump and I walk to the kiosk to pay. Faffing around with my wallet whilst sitting on my bike is a pain.

Once had someone in France try to tell us to move, but just ignored them. Plenty of other pumps to choose from. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
And the above comment is exactly why so many motorists despise you selfish motorcyclists. You should be ashamed but will not have the moral fibre to be so.

No doubt when out with other motorcyclists you will be the sort of people who love to take up a whole car parking bay with each motorcycle rather than parking in one bay together. After all us mere motorists don't matter do we. You of course are the Kings of the road.

Back to the original OP, sorry for your trouble. It is easy to make such a mistake and I agree that a bollard or kerb should have been placed to avoid such innocent accidents.

I hope that you have protected no-claims? Good luck with it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why is half of the side piece a different colour green? I wonder if it has been bashed before and painted without being refitted properly or modified to prevent this happening again?
It might well be spring loaded as well if hit often enough?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
And the above comment is exactly why so many motorists despise you selfish motorcyclists. You should be ashamed but will not have the moral fibre to be so.

No doubt when out with other motorcyclists you will be the sort of people who love to take up a whole car parking bay with each motorcycle rather than parking in one bay together. After all us mere motorists don't matter do we. You of course are the Kings of the road.

Back to the original OP, sorry for your trouble. It is easy to make such a mistake and I agree that a bollard or kerb should have been placed to avoid such innocent accidents.

Itā€™s a vehicle, the same as a car. šŸ¤”

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Revenge good job!

I had a sainsburys trolley park gutter take a 12" scrape above my windows. I wasn't looking that high up!!!

Cheers James
I drove into our Sainsbury's a couple of years back and somebody (kids ?) had turned the exit arrow round 180Ā° on its pole and it was now jutting out into the roadway and caught the passenger side overcab and put a scratch in it. I never took it any further as I wasn't up for a fight at that time. :(

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

What can I say? Having a bad day? Ever been a motorcyclist?

If we (my wife rides as well) were selfish weā€™d pull up to a pump (two as my wife needs to fill up), then go to the pay booth, switch off my bike, take my gloves off, get off my bike in order to get my wallet out of itā€™s waterproof bag, pay for our fuel, put my wallet back in the waterproof bag, ensure it is safely put away and pocket zipped up, get back on my bike, put my gloves back on, start my bike then ride a little forward so my wife can go through the same procedure.

Instead, we pull up to one pump, switch off (as does my wife), I take my gloves off, fill up both bikes (using one pump of course), walk over to the pay booth at the same time as taking my wallet out of itā€™s waterproof bag. Pay for both tanks of petrol, walk back to the bikes whilst putting wallet away. Put gloves on, start bike and both of us ride out without holding up all the other vehicles wanting to payā€¦ā€¦..is that selfish?

Parking?ā€¦ā€¦we look for the motorcycle bayā€™s if they are supplied, otherwise we both park one behind the other in the same bay.

Thank you for the character assassination without even knowing me. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Yes just like the Volvo driver on the M25 slip road who put his fist out at arms length to stop me passing on my motorbike because he was stuck in a queue of stationary traffic.
John.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes just like the Volvo driver on the M25 slip road who put his fist out at arms length to stop me passing on my motorbike because he was stuck in a queue of stationary traffic.
John.
should've put your fist through his window , it's not a great idea to pick a fight with someone wearing a helmet, body armour and gloves with kevlar knuckles :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
John.
Just drive straight through it.
should've put your fist through his window , it's not a great idea to pick a fight with someone wearing a helmet, body armour and gloves with kevlar knuckles :D
problem with a full face helmet is once they have grabbed the bottom they have control of your head & can snap your neck . never a good idea keeping it on.

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen

So you arrive at the fuel station in your car or van, fill up and head to the kiosk to pay, return to the vehicle and leave.
Same as motorcyclists.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
At the one at Dartford I always get out to( pay because to hang out the window is not low enough for the cashier because of the covid screen has a little hole at the bottom of the screen.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The lpg pump is in the pay at kiosk lanes at Cribbs Bristol Asda so I assume the same at the others mentioned here. No way I could reach down to the attendant at the low window from the Ducato cab especially as the window does not fully retract. I held up following vehicles while I jumped out to pay before reaching the kiosk but it was a tight exit through once paid. Reminds me of the French fuel stations at some smaller IntermarchƩ stores, We once had to drive over a plastic hollow bollard to negotiate the pay kiosk.

I will remember the tip to reverse out of the Asda pump and exit through pay at pump lanes next time. (I will pay at kiosk first of course!). The lpg pump is the first you get to so no one should be behind unless queuing for the pump.
I always use the HGV pumps at Asda at Cribbs Causeway as its pay at the pump! Those kiosk exits are a nightmare and designed to be awkward to make it more difficult for drive-aways without paying!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013

To be fair there are plenty of car drivers who don't pull away from the pump before going in to pay and the even more selfish ones who pull in front of you, not leaving enough room centrally for you to get by and get out because you have finished and paid at the pump! Its not just motorcyclists!

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Oh thats a bummer, I would be inclind to wind the awning out just to make sure it goes in & out ok.

Good luck

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
Was there a height warning?
If not, down to Asda...
Worth challenging Asda I think. They have a duty of care.
I had a problem at a Tesco where only parking was under store.
Looked a bit low wife went in store to check height said over 3 metres. Went in to damage my satellite dish long story short.
Misinformed about height, height restriction sign had been damaged and not replaced. Their insurance assessors accepted responsibility and paid for new satellite dish.
Good result Tesco very good no hassle once case made.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back