Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have two AS Electric bikes with 26” wheels that we bought second-hand off a Funster, a few years ago. We really like these as they are step through and also fold, but still give the ride and feel of a full size bike. We currently carry these folded up, in bags, in the garage, and I am starting to find them heavy, awkward and difficult to lift in and out. The garage can hold one fully assembled bike strapped to the rear wall, which is fairly easy to load and unload, but the garage is not big enough to have the two mounted side by side, as the floor has a step in it

We did originally carry them on a tow bar bike rack and don’t want to progress backwards from carrying them in the dry and secure garage

We are wondering if we should move down to the smaller and lighter AS 20” wheel versions, and see what they are like to ride, and to carry, as we have heard that the smaller wheels are not as stable. We are thinking that if we started with one 20” we can see if we could possibly carry it folded with the other 26” assembled

What I would like to ask is:
  1. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on how stable the AS 20” wheels are, compared to the 26”?
  2. Does anyone have a used 20” model for sale, at a realistic price, that we could buy to let us try out the ride and the carrying?

Sep 2, 2017
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have 2 for sale for £550 for both. bought second hand beginning of the year and havn't used then. One has a new battery. Both batteries are fully charged

jimmy000

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
hardiman000
Hi Vince, Dont suppose you still have youer electric bikes for sale, cheers Jim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
As this thread is generic AS Bikes, I have the 20" folders. How do you mount your rear light?

At the moment I'm using the seat post but that means I have to move the light whenever I mount the battery. I guess I might be able to replace the rear reflector with a combined light / reflector but that seems a waste of a perfectly good refelector.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
We started with 2 20inch AS bikes a few years ago and at the time thought they were great but decided to upgrade to the 26inch wheel folding As bike. The difference was amazing, a much smoother ride and enabled us to ride twice as far( and faster, for less effort ) as the 20inch ones. 3 years ago we could tell the batteries were starting to loose capacity and at 4 -5 years old we changed them for 2 more 26inch AS bikes which we have still today.

After riding the 26inch model I would not recommend the 20inch ones as there is a world of difference.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Just to add a bit more info. The AS bikes have an aluminium frame, alloy mudguards and stainless steel spokes so there is very little to rust as we always carry them on the a bike rack.
We remove the batteries and seats ( including seat stems ) and store them in the MH.
The bikes weigh about 19kg each with the batteries and seats removed and can fairly easily be lifted onto the bike rack, I lift from the centre of the bike and the wife just guides the front wheels onto the rail so it does not twist round as I lift the bike.
We dont cover the bikes as I found they do not rust even on 3 month trips on the rack. Also its obvious to any potential thieves that the bikes are not complete and that they are chained onto the rack.

We did cover the 20inch bikes and found they rusted quite badly which I put down to them being covered and not drying out after travelling in wet weather.

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Thank you for your recounting your experiences. Fortunately/unfortunately the new 20” bikes arrived yesterday 😀

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We started with 2 20inch AS bikes a few years ago and at the time thought they were great but decided to upgrade to the 26inch wheel folding As bike. The difference was amazing, a much smoother ride and enabled us to ride twice as far( and faster, for less effort ) as the 20inch ones. 3 years ago we could tell the batteries were starting to loose capacity and at 4 -5 years old we changed them for 2 more 26inch AS bikes which we have still today.

After riding the 26inch model I would not recommend the 20inch ones as there is a world of difference.

We really like our 20"ers, and the ride seems pretty smooth already, with the front suspension and sprung seat. What other differences apart from much smoother ride have you found? Ours are Mk3, did your 20" variant have suspension?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Going back to rack mounted rear light, the thing I'm thinking of is making a bracket so that the extant reflector and a rear light can both come of the rack bracket holes.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thank you for your recounting your experiences. Fortunately/unfortunately the new 20” bikes arrived yesterday 😀
Yay! Nothing quite like the new bike feeling is there. I'm a bit older than I was when I was 12 but it still gets me.

Woodster

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Woodbridge Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
We our newbies
We have two juicy plus folding electric bikes with 20inch wheels and we love them but must admit they do weigh 19kls each so not that easy to put in garage.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
It's that their real name or a pet name!? We've only done one hol with our 20" folders and I've put my back out somewhat. Awkward shape / maneuvering, I'd be alright if it was just eg 20kg kettlebell. I must think of some easier way to maneuvre them in the MH, perhaps using a sling. Or maybe this kind of thing:

Broken Link Removed

Actually looking at the reviews it doesn't seem a great example but searching for dog ramp on Fun brings up a lot of choice. I feel a bit of a wimp getting one but I feel a nit at the moment with numb / tingly leg! :}

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back