As flat as a Fluke in Southport ......... (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As many of you know we picked our new to us Wentworth up a couple of weeks ago and the Southport Rally was the first off grid weekend. On Friday night the lights literally went out for us as one by one the top lights just died!

On Saturday morning I started the van to charge some gear for perhaps fifteen minutes. I mentioned the power failure to a couple of the guys and Terry put his multi meter across the leisure battery and it showed 12.8 volts, happy days, checked the start battery also 12.8 volts. Thanks Terry.

In the afternoon Mrs Badknee was checking her eyelids for pinholes before the big night out with the funsters and I was reading and went a bit chilly so put the fire on gas with the blowers. Ten minutes later the fan slowed to a stop.

Before I started the engine this morning I isolated the leisure battery and when we got home after a fantastic weekend away I checked the leisure battery with my own fluke tester and it was at 9volts after only ten minutes running a small fan motor, so back it will go asap to get something sorted.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't forget Terry doesn't do electrics :D

Probably only needs anew leisure battery, an expected once every three year expense, but try and get this one on the dealer, he probably swapped it for a duff one anyway (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No, I have three in my works van. Different ones for different jobs.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
When Terry tested the battery and found 12.8 volts I assume this was with the engine not running. if it was after the engine has been running then you have measured the surface charge which would deplete quickly when an appliance was connected.

It does sounds as if you need a new battery. On my wenty I fitted 2 x 110ah.

Phill

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
The problem with Fluke Multi Meters is you can't wire people up and make them dance like you can with an old fashioned Meggar!! :whistle::sneaky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It does sounds as if you need a new battery. On my wenty I fitted 2 x 110ah.

Phill

Did you use the white plastic tray for the second battery? It has a 110 fitted but suspect it's very tired.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back