Arrival checks (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I know ive been down this road before but I have yet to find a solution.
I am in spain in my 16 year old RV and am covered for European breakdown cover with the C&CC / RAC arrival scheme but you are only allowed 90 days per single trip.
I am one month into the three month trip and want to now stay for 6 months to work, the maximum time im allowed out of the UK on my vehichle insurance.
Ive considered taking out a policy with ADAC but thanks to my wing mirrors and air con unit am slightly over their size restrictions but more so a 200 euro maximum cover per tow is not enough for an RV. Ive tried every where and some one said just risk them not checking your ferry booking, now surely under the data protection act the ferry company ( booked through the C&CC) cant veryfy what is on a reciept, or can they ?
So my question is have any funsters actually used this cover and what checks where made by the RAC ?
I know its risky but I am going to loose out on three months well paid work to go back to the UK and none.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If I understand you correctley its a break down and recovery insurance that your talking about. What would the ferry company have to do with that.

If you aint insured for breakdown and recovery its only you that will have to fork out.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong ?

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
cos they would check your ferry to see if your within the 90 days limit ? woudnt they ?
I know of a pay as you use scheme but I dont have the kind of money needed for low loaders etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I dont know why the ferry company would be interested as to whether or not you could or could not afford to transport your broken down mh. Breakdown and recovery insurance isnt a legal requirement.

Jim
:Smile:
Edit: Sorry are you talking about the breakdown company not covering you after the expiry of you breakdown cover.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
sooooo no ones ever used the Arrival / RAC/ C&CC policy abroad ??????
I just want to know did they ask for proof of ferry booking ??

Deleted User
Never used the service because I never joined. I brought this point up when speaking to the young lady at the RAC who said that they WOULD check crossing dates. When I asked whether the cover would operate for the first 90 days, as I do not always make a return crossing booking, I was informed the cover would not operate at all in that case. About as much use as a chocolate teapot to me!! Of course this is only what I was informed, another operator on a different day may have given a different answer, the only way is to find out from experience. I hope someone else can furnish a more definitive response as I would also be very interested.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
well I have to leave sunny spain and and my job to go back to blighty and no job. all because this 90 day rule. If people would have shared thier experiences on this thread I might have thought differently, perhaps their too busy sharing jokes and trivia !! Maybe its time to try motorhome FACTS !!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Sorry, Wyn, but that sounds like sour grapes!!

Would you rather have bum advice, rely on it and get into more trouble, or have folks giving it straight like the funsters who have tried to help you?

If you ask for advice, don't moan if you get it.

Put bluntly, you want to cheat your insurance company, which means the rest of us have to pay a bit more. I accept you changed your mind about how long you wanted to stay, when a work opportunity cropped up, but you don't get something for nothing.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Now Now calm down dear :thumb:

I assume you have access to the internet??

If your RV breaks down and your working I assume you wont require immediate assistance same day?? If this is the case and you are over your 90 day period just go online and book another ferry ticket, ok it will cost you a few quid to book it but you will then have proof of a ferry crossing (even though you never actually used it) to give to the breakdown man when they turn up :thumb:

Problem solved, yes???

Now go and pick up your dummy and chill out, life is to short to get all excited about little things like this, remember there is always a way round this kind of thing :thumb:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
well I have to leave sunny spain and and my job to go back to blighty and no job. all because this 90 day rule. If people would have shared thier experiences on this thread I might have thought differently, perhaps their too busy sharing jokes and trivia !! Maybe its time to try motorhome FACTS !!

Seems a little unfair to expect others to share their experiences in order to aid you to consider risking not having valid breakdown insurance cover.

A little extreme giving up a job for the sake of break down cover? :Cool:

Chill 'cus the weather's cool here. :Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

I am with Comfort Insurance. Aviva are the insurers and RAC commercial the recovery agent.

I was covered for 6 months on any trip out of the UK. I am now on a Full Timeing policy with the same insurers and I do not have to return to the UK at all. The only limit is 6 months in any 12 months on one country.

I have used the recovery service in the UK but have not needed their services overseas. Broken Fan belt on both occasions.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Maybe no one has anything to share. We have a 5ver try getting cover for that impossible to get true cover with either of our two big organisations, so i opened an account with a commercial recovery firm that also covers europe - no yearly premiums to pay (and no time limits on length of stay) but should i ever have to use them i will have to pay whatever the bill is. I look at it from the point of view that for every year i would of paid for nothing (recovery policy not used) balances what i might have to pay one day

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
think you will find that the mirrors play no part in the legal width of your vehicle ; I think there is a legal maximum for the mirrors in addition to the vehicle though

I suspect adac put this in in case of low loading ; if that should happen you could demount the mirrors , couldn't you ?

just had a quick look at ADAC site , max width is 2.55 , which is the maximum width [ excl mirrors] permitted in europe ; if you exceed that you are illegal anyway

with regard to the height at 3.0 , if you only have bits sticking up from the bodywork [ virtually all motorhomes do ] , don't worry about it ,the nominal height of the vehicle excludes the bits ! on a low loader there isn't a roof anyway , and drivers are well used to judging bridges etc

btw , I have never had breakdown cover in 35 years , I soon found out it was cheaper just to pay to have it fixed wherever I found myself

ADAC sounds just the job !

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
sooooo no ones ever used the Arrival / RAC/ C&CC policy abroad ??????
I just want to know did they ask for proof of ferry booking ??

I have used it and there were no checks on how long I'd been away (though it was only 2 days in my case)

Deleted User
Maybe no one has anything to share. We have a 5ver try getting cover for that impossible to get true cover with either of our two big organisations, so i opened an account with a commercial recovery firm that also covers europe - no yearly premiums to pay (and no time limits on length of stay) but should i ever have to use them i will have to pay whatever the bill is. I look at it from the point of view that for every year i would of paid for nothing (recovery policy not used) balances what i might have to pay one day

I am in the same situation, when I contacted the RAC last year they did give me a phone number for recovery assistance abroad but fortunately have not needed to use it so far.I agree with your philosophy on paying for recovery, especially as there does not seem to be any cover available.
I would be grateful if you could let me know the recovery firm that you are registered with( by PM if you like) as this seems a very sensible alternative.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no need for that tone of voice not our fault that YOU failed to research before leaving.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
OOOhhh look at the respnose I get when I mention jumping ship :ROFLMAO:
Firstly I did do my research and planned on returning within the 90 days but as I said I now have work here and none to go back to, so wish to stay longer.
Comfort wont insure me due to my proffesion as most wont.
I would like to know who this commercial recovery pay as you tow scheme is, though I dont have the sort of funds available to pay for low loaders etc.
and ADAC will only pay for the first £200 of any tow, which wont get a 7 tonner far.
I know I can get a new ferry ticket but should I be on the hard shoulder of a motorway could be problematic. and my question is can and do the RAC check with the ferry company to see if a journey has been made ? bearing in mind the data protection act etc.
I dont want to bend the rules, I am always to honest for my own good, which is exactly why I have this problem.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I would rather do that but a 35 footer cant just go to any garage and if im in the middle of nowhere ??, them motorways between southern spain and england arnt half long.
it just pisses me off that a 7.5 meter motorhome is covered for 180 days with the C&CC /RAC arrival scheme but anything over that is only covered 90 days and I quote the reason being the computers need updating !!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Are you on your own???

If not can you not get your companion to join when yours has expired to give you another 90 days cover??

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
nah all on me todd...apart from a mad dog.
The other pain with this european arrival scheme is it runs in conjunction with your UK policy. In other words BOTH UK and abroad need re-newing in a few weeks, so I got 4 months European cover for the price of 12, again I contacted the powers that be to be told thats just the way it is though we are looking into it.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
OOOhhh look at the respnose I get when I mention jumping ship :ROFLMAO:
Firstly I did do my research and planned on returning within the 90 days but as I said I now have work here and none to go back to, so wish to stay longer.
Comfort wont insure me due to my proffesion as most wont.
I would like to know who this commercial recovery pay as you tow scheme is, though I dont have the sort of funds available to pay for low loaders etc.
and ADAC will only pay for the first £200 of any tow, which wont get a 7 tonner far.
I know I can get a new ferry ticket but should I be on the hard shoulder of a motorway could be problematic. and my question is can and do the RAC check with the ferry company to see if a journey has been made ? bearing in mind the data protection act etc.
I dont want to bend the rules, I am always to honest for my own good, which is exactly why I have this problem.

Ooooh you are a wag. :Smile: Join FACT (?), look at all the fun you'd be missing. :roflmto:

I do see your predicament. Can't be easy with such a big beast. Is there no flexibility with these insurers? Seems a shame to come back to blighty and lose work.

The other issue if you do get cover and need rescuing do you have a plan as to where you need taking to? Imagine it wouldn't be easy finding somewhere to repair a big unit like that.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
If I did get cover I would presume that the recovery company would take me to a suitable garage. 18 months ago the engine went bang on my old motorhome on an dual carriage way underpass, 2 hours later and god knows how many rear end misses I was recovered to a suitable garage 60 miles away where I spent 3 months on their forecourt. This is why Im a bit paranoid about having someone on the end of the phone if need be.
Ive even tried changing my motor insurance provider again, with no luck, in fact one recognised my name from the forums, ??? which is why I will be cancelling my membership.
Im not in good health and if I become unemployed I can get everything I want and more from most of the big name insurers, so I'll either do that or risk it for a biscuit and with my nerves the way they are it will probably be the afore mentioned.

SO PLEASE BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU POST COS THE POWERS THAT BE ARE WATCHING !!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its called choice. i normally visit maroc ,spain .portugal every year . my choice. last year had to drive home with only 4th gear .year before drunk driver smashed the front corner 6,000 pounds of damage came home in daylight as had no lights .previus years had to have tow starts etc. this year all ok. came home from maroc on solid suspension once when i broke all the leaves on my vw type 2. it was your choice to go to spain ,you had lots of advice last year. maybe you made the wrong choice. as you are working start saving. you havnt broke down yet. start worrying if you do. or sell it and get a small camper. or just pay for a recovery ,if it happens. lots of us just have to be prepared to walk away from our vehicles if the s--t really hits the fan while abroad. join the club.having said that keep smiling we are. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back