Armitage A-frame's (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Am looking at having an A-frame fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia and Armitages at Ferrybridge seem to be reasonable priced compared to other's , have any funsters used them and were you happy with the work .
I know there not legal in some other EU country's such as Spain but is France also no-go area with a car in tow

FL

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Believe you can also have problems in France, Foggy.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I had a towbar fitted there last month, apart from them not tightening the towball bolts up! It was all good, pleasant people

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I have a armitage tow frame no probs but heavy piece of kit I thing tow sure look a bit lighter but I found them really nice people the also fit my bike rack and they lend you a courtesy car while the work on your van

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Believe you can also have problems in France, Foggy.
Yes thought as much , think I will just stick to using it in the UK .
Considered buying a new Car transporter trailer but there not cheap and IMO there more hassle as there worth so that's a No No besides we managed just fine on our recent 3 month trip to Spain by just walking or using the electric bikes but here its pretty risky cycling on UK roads so having the wee car would solve any problems

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Foggy
Only a "belief" not absolutely sure. Others may have a different "belief".
Stick wi the bikes or Shanks Pony and you'll be fitter anyway!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I had mine done there. No problems with fitting everthing was good.
As said it is quite a hefty piece of kit, if that's not a problem then go for it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had a towbar fitted there last month, apart from them not tightening the towball bolts up! It was all good, pleasant people

Only a minor detail then :rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thought I remembered the name , back in 2011 a member had an a frame fitted by them and I quote from the thread " overrun brake incorrectly adjusted , after a few miles smart car on a frame caught Fire and........ the dispute over who's fault went on for weeks " don't know if it was ever settled .
Looks about the same level as not tightening towball bolts :Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thought I remembered the name , back in 2011 a member had an a frame fitted by them and I quote from the thread " overrun brake incorrectly adjusted , after a few miles smart car on a frame caught Fire and........ the dispute over who's fault went on for weeks " don't know if it was ever settled .
Looks about the same level as not tightening towball bolts :Eeek:
I was just going to type that about them when your post beat me to it --No idea what eventually happened but ARMATAGES ADMITTED FAULT ONLY TO GO BACK ON IT ONCE THE INSURANCE WAS INVOLVED
terry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I was just going to type that about them when your post beat me to it --No idea what eventually happened but ARMATAGES ADMITTED FAULT ONLY TO GO BACK ON IT ONCE THE INSURANCE WAS INVOLVED
terry

That's right , the thread still shows on search . What is concerning is the standard still does not look much better with a towball not tightened correctly, negligence comes to mind.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
At the handover with the A frame fitted to my car i was told that after hooking on and driving for a couple of miles I should stop and check if the car brakes were getting hot.
Either hand brake not released fully or overrun cable not adjusted correctly.
Must admit to never having checked as I treble check before moving, handbrake off, car in neutral, steering lock off with spare key in, bungee assist cord around brake pedal and through seat bar and seat slid fully back.
Then lock car with main key and away.
Did 800 miles around Scotland last week over some narrow roads through the Cairngorms without any problems.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
it ONLY TAKES ONE JOB TO GO WRONG AND EVERYONE REMEMBERS IT -that's a smart car on fire and now tow bar bolts not tightened ;)Wonder if they would have accepted the blame and rescinded on that one if a trailer or caravan overtook you :D
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
At the handover with the A frame fitted to my car i was told that after hooking on and driving for a couple of miles I should stop and check if the car brakes were getting hot.
Either hand brake not released fully or overrun cable not adjusted correctly.
Must admit to never having checked as I treble check before moving, handbrake off, car in neutral, steering lock off with spare key in, bungee assist cord around brake pedal and through seat bar and seat slid fully back.
Then lock car with main key and away.
Did 800 miles around Scotland last week over some narrow roads through the Cairngorms without any problems.
They must be learning from there mistakes ;)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
They must be learning from there mistakes ;)
Maybe, there was another guy there who had just had a tow bar fitted, so used his van with my car on around the car park as a demo as to how it would work.
I also had a pneumatic tyre fitted to the A frame, so I can drive up to the tow ball and connect up, as swmbo cant help with it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We used an A frame in France last year, but actually found the car more of a bother than a help, in fact at one point we left it on a site and went on without it. Its useful in the UK though.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Used Armitage for my toad and A frame. Everything fine but it is a heavy bit of kit, however I specifically wanted a jockey wheel so that I could hitch up when on my own.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Towtal a frame, also with a pneumatic jockey wheel.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I found Towtal at Stoke very expensive when they quoted me recently at £1700 :eek::eek::eek:

We had an unbraked frame fitted and obtained an RVi Brake 2 direct from the U.S. it's an automatic unit that applies pedal pressure in the car.
They are not the cheapest but it is a substantial well made a frame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back