Argos - quick delivery or what? (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I needed a new ink cartridge for my Canon printer and had a look to see if Argos sell them.

Not only do they sell them for a good price (£11.99) but that includes free delivery and, best of all, that includes free delivery today between 14.00 and 18.00!

I know they have just started offering same day delivery so this might be a special offer, pretty amazing though.

Paul

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Argos have recently linked up with eBay to offer a courier service for sellers. It doesn't compete very well with Royal Mail small packet rates but offers serious competition for ParcelForce rates on bigger (>2kg) packets. Only problem is Argos are using a third party courier who's insurance smallprint is rubbish - basically they insure very little against loss or damage.

If your Canon cartridge is a CLI-8 you can still get them for around a tenner on eBay but delivery takes longer. I have a printer that needs 8 of the little buggers so I have to watch the pennies!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Supermacado Tabua, beats Argos,bought a wood burner and paid,they said they would deliver same day,poked around the store and drove home, the burner was on the drive,the lad had lifted it over the gates with a Hi-ab. Result
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I bought a black Friday offer from Argos at 5-30pm yesterday - parcel arrived about 7-45pm and delivery was "free". If the price is ok then the quick delivery is a bonus.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wish the shop staff were as good.

On Monday we visited the Argos store at Teesside Retail Park paid for our order and joined the queue until our number came up, at which point we realised that none of the orders placed that morning had been fulfilled and all the customers were still waiting.
We waited around as more "ready" orders came up on the screen but nothing happened. Obviously flagging the orders as "ready" was a bare faced lie. Staff in the store room behind the delivery shelves were studiously ignoring the growing queue. There was no attempt to inform customers of the reason for the delay.
Eventually I called to a staff member to point out that we were all waiting, to be answered by an offhand "we are doing our best". I asked to see the manager and was told he/she was "busy with an IT problem". Basically the message was "**** off you're only customers".
Faced with that attitude we got our money back and went elsewhere.

I e-mailed the Argos COO when we got home to complain. No answer by the next day so copied in the Home Retail CEO. Today I received two e-mails:
1) Thank you for your feedback with relation to your recent experience.I would like to offer you a £10.00 Argos gift card as a gesture of good will.
2) Thank you for your email dated 23rd November 2015 which has been received by our Director's Office. I have been asked to look into your complaint and reply on their behalf.I would like to offer you a £20.00 Argos gift card as a gesture of good will. Please let me know how I am to proceed.

I've given them my address and told them to send the £30 (total) to me. Hope they're as quick with that :LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have had nowt bar a real duff service from both from Argos and Tesco's ..
But I suspect this is more to do with the local shops than anything else

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My daughter works for argos and to be honest, all I am hearing about the NEW temporary staff being useless really makes me wonder what the hell will happen tomorrow Black Friday and in the week before christmas. daughter comes home knackered each day and her manager is so stressed its ridiculous

argos have their own procedures for doing everything and although brief instruction is offered, new staff are expected to study online. Then they get dropped in at the deep end, with the easiest part being the job on tills. orders go onto the system and are put onscreen in the warehouse for a couple of people running up and down aisles and ladders to pick items. problems occur when the incoming stock has to actually be unpacked from pallets and taken direct to the conveyor belt or lift. the collection point staff are constantly getting abuse from customers and have to chase up the pickers using the headsets. on a normal day this runs smoothly, but on busy days or if anything in the system has an issue it becomes mayhem

last week my daughter's store had a lock on the secure storage jam shut so they couldnt issue phones/tablets/laptops/jewellery etc till the locksmith turned up. he was contacted at 9am and turned up at 4:30pm. that led to a lot of disgruntled customers who took out their frustrations blaming the staff. another day the point of sale computer that runs the tills and the stock picking system crashed and had to be restarted. all the orders in the system then had to be manually checked and picked. for a busy store this is a herculean task

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My daughter works for argos and to be honest, all I am hearing about the NEW temporary staff being useless really makes me wonder what the hell will happen tomorrow Black Friday and in the week before christmas. daughter comes home knackered each day and her manager is so stressed its ridiculous

argos have their own procedures for doing everything and although brief instruction is offered, new staff are expected to study online. Then they get dropped in at the deep end, with the easiest part being the job on tills. orders go onto the system and are put onscreen in the warehouse for a couple of people running up and down aisles and ladders to pick items. problems occur when the incoming stock has to actually be unpacked from pallets and taken direct to the conveyor belt or lift. the collection point staff are constantly getting abuse from customers and have to chase up the pickers using the headsets. on a normal day this runs smoothly, but on busy days or if anything in the system has an issue it becomes mayhem

last week my daughter's store had a lock on the secure storage jam shut so they couldnt issue phones/tablets/laptops/jewellery etc till the locksmith turned up. he was contacted at 9am and turned up at 4:30pm. that led to a lot of disgruntled customers who took out their frustrations blaming the staff. another day the point of sale computer that runs the tills and the stock picking system crashed and had to be restarted. all the orders in the system then had to be manually checked and picked. for a busy store this is a herculean task
In those circumstances (and the ones I described) Argos should give their managers the power to close the store with an explanation to customers rather than just messing customers about.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My nearest Argos is a smallish store at Thetford. I find the girls on the checkouts polite and efficient, I usually get a smile too - makes this old man happy.

Usually no problem collecting my purchase, no more than a few minutes wait. I am surprised to read about @TheBig1 daughter's experience. Plenty of big firms don't train their staff properly and treat them badly but there is no excuse for customers to dish out abuse.

Its fine to complain if things don't go right but its not usually the front line staffs' fault so we shouldn't take our frustration out on them.

Paul

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same place as me Paul..
Cannot argue with what you say about the smiley staff.. But they are just SOOOO slow !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My nearest Argos is a smallish store at Thetford. I find the girls on the checkouts polite and efficient, I usually get a smile too - makes this old man happy.

Usually no problem collecting my purchase, no more than a few minutes wait. I am surprised to read about @TheBig1 daughter's experience. Plenty of big firms don't train their staff properly and treat them badly but there is no excuse for customers to dish out abuse.

Its fine to complain if things don't go right but its not usually the front line staffs' fault so we shouldn't take our frustration out on them.

Paul
May I make it clear that my approach to the Argos staff member whose attention I eventually managed to gain was polite. It was her attitude to the many customers waiting which was rude.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have bought a few things this week off eBay using the click and collect facility, all went 100% smooth, ordered online 8pm next morning before 10 I was picking them up, 2 from Argos, walked past a very long queue gave the lady at the desk my details less than a minute I`m leaving the store goods in hand.

Second one from Debenhams forgot to take my paperwork there dooh no worries said assistant, I gave my name and proof of ID less than 2 mins and I`m leaving the shop, all done without a hitch, would fully recommend Click and Collect.
Super fast service with a smile. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have bought a few things this week off eBay using the click and collect facility, all went 100% smooth, ordered online 8pm next morning before 10 I was picking them up, 2 from Argos, walked past a very long queue gave the lady at the desk my details less than a minute I`m leaving the store goods in hand.

Second one from Debenhams forgot to take my paperwork there dooh no worries said assistant, I gave my name and proof of ID less than 2 mins and I`m leaving the shop, all done without a hitch, would fully recommend Click and Collect.
Super fast service with a smile. :)
Fine if it works, Rob. On Monday, though, the staff were ignoring the click & collect queue as well. In fact, some of the other customers waiting said they should remove the "Fast Track" sign :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My worst click and collect experiences are B & Q ( useless bunch of twonks to say the least .. They could not find one item.. a BIG box.. Asked me to return.. Sorry not here. I then pointed to the large box the idiot was leaning on.. yup ! it had been there all the time ) and Tescos who just did what they always seem to do to me.. Lied absolutely through their teeth and messed me about for several days

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did it turn up on time?

I have heard and read above about same day deliveries, and still for free, great when it works (y)

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Did it turn up on time?

I have heard and read above about same day deliveries, and still for free, great when it works (y)

Placed my order at about 10.00, it arrived just before 16.00, pretty good I reckon. My nearest Argos is about a 25 mile round trip. Do that journey, pay for petrol etc or sit indoors and wait for free delivery - hmmm tricky decision!

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back