Arggghhh....Removing baked on Decals (1 Viewer)

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Had a few french car park dinks on one side of my Dethleffs MH and decided to have a fresh decal to cover up the damage...Silk purse out of Sows ear i hear you chant!! Thought Dafne deserved a facelift so went on a" pimp my motor" decal frenzy and now needed to remove ALL of them ..a total area of 3 sq. mtr. Spent a day using girlfriends hair dryer ,pecking away a decal area of 8x6 inches..Nightmare!! Needed a different approach..heres what i did.. utilised Screwfix Titan hot air blower with blade nozzle attachment which easily lifted the decal and separated it from adhesive, but care is required on heat setting (alternate between level 1 and 2) and ensure quick movement is maintained to reduce heat buildup on MH material. This approach removed 95% of decal area in 4/5 hours. Purchased Rubber Stripe Off disc and plastic razor blades from Amazon. The rubber disc removed remaining decal material, had to use mains drill for stripe disc as battery drill did not have enough grunt .. need about 3ooo RPM , anticlockwise application seemed to work best. Application of Tar and adhesive remover from local motor factors ( 5 litre @ 13 .50.. use gloves!) with plastic razor blades removed bulk of adhesive. Residue of adhesive removed with rag and adhesive remover...Job done...now gonna have new all grey decals fitted..

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Don't forget to thoroughly polish (not wax) the van before you apply the new decals, then wax afterwards. Whats that? you thought you had nearly finished the job :):):)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I removed the stripes from mine recently as they were faded with the sun but i was quite fortunate they didn't even require heat just peeled straight off which I was surprised at after being on there 14 years.

from this
14074833168030.jpg

To this
14081046796020.jpg

Took me 2 days to fully t cut then polish it afterwards though.

Then tinted all the windows to cut down fading and for added privacy/security

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Lucky escape with the T cut, something that should never be used on a motorhome unless its a very recent van conversion as its far too harsh and could easily cut right through the paint:(
Nice job with the euroyacht

Chris & Vickie

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie 1 year
Tambo,

What did you use to tint the windows? Any thing special?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back