Area degraded by the motorhome invasion (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
More bad press for motorhomers .. :Sad:

MAY I be permitted to reply to the misguided opinions/suggestions expressed by Messrs Whalley, Watkinson and Snape on the subject of motorhome accommodation.
The Moggs Eye/Marsh Yard area has been degraded over the years by the invasion of the motorhome fraternity.
There are a minority of responsible motor-home owners who have frequented the Moggs Eye & Marsh Yard area but, in my long experience, the majority have shown themselves to be most irresponsible.
No they don't break equipment in toilet blocks during summer months, toilet blocks are a source of an unlimited supply of free, to them, water.

Add to this free parking for as long as they want, free rubbish collection from the ground (not in the bins) where they dump it, vandalism of the fencing, picnic benches and tables chopped up for firewood, the threats and intimidation when anyone who lives locally has objected to them destroying the facilities and desecrating the area.
Chemical toilets are emptied on the sand dunes, where people and animals can walk into the filth hidden by the undergrowth, and in the dykes surrounding the area.
The contents of their waste water tanks and drains from sinks and showers are released straight onto the ground under the parked motor-home.
Finally, the car parks are NOT closed at night, sea anglers and the like have no restrictions placed on parking unless the vehicle is over 6.4 metres high.

If your correspondents want the type of motor-home dweller I have experienced in their area then I suggest they open up their gardens and driveways to allow the free parking and facilities required by the motor-home owners.

Good work Lincolnshire County Council, it's not before time.
If people want to camp in the area then let them pay for it and if they don't, let's see the new bye-laws used to their full extent.
Joseph. G. Dowse,
Sandilands

Broken Link Removed

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Broken Link Removed

I dont like the idea of bad press anymore than the next.
If these people are behaving irresponsibly then the local council
will rightly throw the book at them.
[HI]
Of course we all know press coverage is rarely unbiased
but what sort of irresponsible git, behaves in this fashion to give
press or council the ammunition.[/HI]

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Broken Link Removed

Sounds like another jealous "Nimby" to me.

It would be nice if he backed up his letter with some evidence, photos, video, including faces, vans, number plates and pictures of the vandalism being committed by the Motorhome fraternity... etc...

Sounds like he also does not like overnight "Sea Anglers and the like" either..........:Doh:
I always wonder what "the like" actually consists of........

There are for sure inconsiderate motorhomers, but from my experience they are in the minority, not as Mr Dowse suggests........

I agree with the last part of his rant though, suitable areas with reasonable overnight parking charges, as with french Aires, would be most welcome...........:thumb:

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Moggs Eye

I believe that the people who stay there are more like new age travellers or itinerant type in old horseboxes and such like.
They've stayed there for several years and are not motor homers as we know them
Alan

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Same thing is happening on the Lizard, and Marizion, AND, it's not just Brits, couple or three years ago I caught a Dutchie emptying his cassette in the hedgerow at Kynance Cove.

It's not ENVY, it's just people are rapidly getting fed up with the countryside being abused, BY THE MINORITY, and unfortunately the MAJORITY are being tarred with the same brush.

Live with it! cause until there is a change in Attitude by that Minority, the Majority will suffer!

Or, let's make it even! Tell me where you live, and I'll come and spread my rubbish around, empty my BLUOO in your hedgerows and drain my grey waste on your roads, and park in front of your house for a couple of weeks. Even stevens?:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A bit of Googling identifies that this argument has been going on for several years with many complaints received by the local authority. As so often happens it appears that a few are again spoiling things for the many.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Same thing is happening on the Lizard, and Marizion, AND, it's not just Brits, couple or three years ago I caught a Dutchie emptying his cassette in the hedgerow at Kynance Cove.

It's not ENVY, it's just people are rapidly getting fed up with the countryside being abused, BY THE MINORITY, and unfortunately the MAJORITY are being tarred with the same brush.

Live with it! cause until there is a change in Attitude by that Minority, the Majority will suffer!

Or, let's make it even! Tell me where you live, and I'll come and spread my rubbish around, empty my BLUOO in your hedgerows and drain my grey waste on your roads, and park in front of your house for a couple of weeks. Even stevens?:thumb:

Dyou mean it's not you ?:whatthe:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
how tall?

Can I just ask how many funster motorhomes are over 6.4M tall - as referred to in the article?

Finally, the car parks are NOT closed at night, sea anglers and the like have no restrictions placed on parking unless the vehicle is over 6.4 metres high.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I know this area well and unfortunately have seen irresponsible motorhomers dropping waste water directly on the concrete parking area and leaving their kitchen waste etc in the litter bins. there are several converted lorries / horse boxes that appear to live there. There are signs forbidding overnight camping but I do not think the majority of motorhomers that ignore this are doing any harm. There has been talk of hight barriers being constructed at the entrance I would be sad if this were the case as we often spend a Sunday parked up by the beach.
For what its worth I would like to see the lorries and vehicles living there shifted and think local objection would probably subside.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Is this the area also known a huttoft car terrace?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Can I just ask how many funster motorhomes are over 6.4M tall - as referred to in the article?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tallest thing I have driven is a low loader at 18 foot with a bloody big crane on it
20 foot 6 meters camper van got to see it

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i live a a few miles from these areas and used to go there quite regular sea fishing and just for walks , i have seen vans there with their drains open allowing their waste water to run all over the parked areas , seen them dumping rubbish and emptying cassettes,this includes vans who have been there for a few hours and then moved on, it spoils it for others who are responsible motor-homers if height barriers go up as they are great spots to spend the day

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I don't understand anyone who dumps toilet cassette anywhere when there are plenty of public loos around if you look for them - if their isn't, many pubs will allow you to if you ask nicely and buy a drink/have lunch there.

In the report, they mention the on site toilets being used for free water supply - if they are there, I don't understand why people are not using them to empty the cassette and flush away afterwards. As regards to 'free' water - they may not pay rates, but being in the area are contributing to the local economy - so in a way, their is a benefit.

Of course, the cure to this is to put the facilities on site and make in an aire.....problem solved! If it was made into and aire, and was chargeable for a small fee to cover water/waste etc - then it would be used in that manner. The ones that won't want to pay will move on.

I do think UK councils are missing a trick with the aire situation. Having an aire is far better than banning camping in an area which would benefit from the income from tourism. It will increase employment with those cleaning the aire waste away and will bring a small income into the council to pay for it. Far better than not making anyone welcome, and losing that income into the local economy.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I don't understand anyone who dumps toilet cassette anywhere when there are plenty of public loos around if you look for them - if their isn't, many pubs will allow you to if you ask nicely and buy a drink/have lunch there.

In the report, they mention the on site toilets being used for free water supply - if they are there, I don't understand why people are not using them to empty the cassette and flush away afterwards. As regards to 'free' water - they may not pay rates, but being in the area are contributing to the local economy - so in a way, their is a benefit.

Of course, the cure to this is to put the facilities on site and make in an aire.....problem solved! [HI]If it was made into and aire[/HI], and was chargeable for a small fee to cover water/waste etc - then it would be used in that manner. The ones that won't want to pay will move on.

I do think UK councils are missing a trick with the aire situation. Having an aire is far better than banning camping in an area which would benefit from the income from tourism. It will increase employment with those cleaning the aire waste away and will bring a small income into the council to pay for it. Far better than not making anyone welcome, and losing that income into the local economy.

Open up a free aire, anywhere in Britain --it will be invaded and taken over with Itinerants and any loose scrap within 5 miles will disappear.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Open up a free Arie, anywhere in Britain --it will be invaded and taken over with Itinerants and any loose scrap within 5 miles will disappear.

There are already some Aire facilities in the UK. Canterbury Park and Ride, is but one. There are other facilities such as on the Fylde coast. They are not free but neither are many of the ones provided on the continent.

There was another at Guisborough that was abused by motorhome users who stayed and refused to pay and it was closed Because only a few tickets had been sold in the first year, that council that was then able to say there was no demand in the area.

There are also 5 Aires with Bourne facilities operating in Northern Ireland.

These facilities are not over run by "Itinerants" as you call them. It is negative prejudice like this, that is fuelling the fire of discontent, against the establishment of more facilities.

I stayed on a site in Bedfordshire for 9 months and beside this was a lay by on the A6 that was regularly used by travellers. The site was spotless most of the time when they left. It was one group that spoilt it for everyone. They arrived and set fire to cars and dumped other rubbish. It was a total mess. The local authority moved them on and large bounders were placed over the entrances.

The local authorities don't like travellers. The law was that they had to provide sites for nomadic travellers. Instead they provided caravan sites that restricted the type of vehicle using them and closed in the winter. They paid lip service to the law but ignored the sprit. They were later force to provide these facilities to comply with the law but again made them for settled travellers and not for the nomad. The law was then relaxed so no new sites were provided.

Today we have ourselves (Full Timers and Leisure Motor Homers) and the nomadic travellers competing for the diminishing few unblocked places.

John

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We use a remote site that is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

We have it in writing from Natural England that toilet waste is to be buried in the sand dunes on this site. This is in the site management plan.

Done correctly buried toilet waste is completely absorbed within a year of disposal. Waste water contains nothing harmful to vegetation, so if spread away from where people walk, it to is absorbed quickly.

It is laziness just to let the waste water leak out onto the area the van is standing on.

John

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A letter in response to the anti motorhome brigade

Motorhome owners are better off abroad

Wednesday, May 15, 2013East Lindsey TargetFollow
IT was interesting reading the comments from the anti-motorhome brigade.
It's not that the local motorhomers want to use Huttoft Car Terrace very often, we too have homes in the local area, but the council keep banging on about wanting more tourists.
How many foreign motorhomes do you see in Lincolnshire?
There is an opportunity to increase that market. How about having Huttoft just for motorhomes, as they do in France, and see how the area tidies up?

There are several other places for car drivers and caravan owners anyway and the council could always put on a charge of £10 per 24 hours on all car parks along the coast, which works out the same as static caravan owners pay per night, if they need to make money.
As for myself, I like many hundreds of other motorhome owners will be heading for the continent to spend my hard earned cash where I will be welcomed and allowed to park in towns, villages and by the sea without any problems.

Read more: Broken Link Removed
Follow us: @ThisisLincs on Twitter | ThisisLincolnshire on Facebook

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Open up a free aire, anywhere in Britain --it will be invaded and taken over with Itinerants and any loose scrap within 5 miles will disappear.

It's that sort of attitude that will stop councils even thinking about having Aires free or not. Have been in a free Aire just North of Epernay I spoke to a French resident about the motorhomes that park there. In rather broken English he did say that they have never had trouble with itinerants there and sure enough whilst talking the local Gendarmes drove round checking the site visually. It is a nice site in Mareual sur Ay by the river and a small supermarket 20yards away. Water and electricity by tokens where we parked. We spent 60 Euros at the supermarket and all was friendly. If it was like this in the UK properly supervised with police with the powers to move offending people on then I am sure more responsible motorhomers would use them and contribute to the local area. I'm sat in a Marina at Numansdorp writing this. Boats seem to be another type of "Motorhome but on water" as a lot of these people live on their boats. No difference to us except we drive on roads theirs is wet.:whistle:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
In my experience, parking up where you have to pay a reasonable charge works quite well. The free parking areas seem to attract the sort of people we are talking about. I have seen Motorhomers brits and foreigners, go to any lengths trying to avoid paying anything, eg, get there late leave early, obtain water from toilet taps, dumping grey and black waste anywhere they feel like it.
Things will always be the same with those sorts of people.
Phil

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We like the motorhome parks in Spain and Portugal, loads cheaper than sites with basic facilities. We need some in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back