Free Member
Oct 31, 2014
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Pop Top Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
I can't help but notice that the great majority on here are retired.

Make sense I guess; you've got more free time so get a MH and go exploring. I used wonder what the percentage of active users was for retired/non retired.

*Secretly I'm just envious, I've still got another 30 years before I can disappear off into the sunset (or down the Mosselle)

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm 55 and retired from teaching but now earn my crust in more enjoyable ways, so I suppose semi-retired would be the correct answer. We have two long European MH holidays a year and the odd weekend here and there, but no time for bimbling around and exploring yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I closed my business down last year so class myself as 'retired' as I have no intention of working again anytime soon.

It's more a question of priorities, I think, and the freedom that motorhoming gives you makes you try harder to find a better work/life balance.

Barrie's now working on his exit strategy from the daily grind :)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've just gone part time at 60 so have four day weekends. That's what prompted us to buy our first motorhome earlier this year. Otherwise it would have had to wait until we fully retired for us to get the time to use it. Still finding our feet but revelling in having the extra time. Can't wait until 2016 for full retirement.

One thing we did notice on our two week trip to France was that everyone seemed to be away for far longer than us (i.e weren't working) and also ours was the smallest MH (apart from the old Citroen ice cream van conversion we saw at Brantome).

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Took early retirement 5 years ago, my wife been retired a year so we have just started going away for longer periods would have gone to Europe for the winter but have aged Mother in Law who needs our time and why not. I my advise do it while you can your health won't hold out forever. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thats surprising actually as i thought it a younger crowd on here...maybe they are all just half mad instead:whistle:

I'm 61 been retired due to health since I was 57. resented it for years as I enjoyed what I did..but resigned to it now. would be better if Mrs Mental retired so we could travel more but she is younger

Try to make the most of what time you have no matter what life throws at you.......

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
When my wife's uncle was killed in a road accident, we newly "second time arounders" decided to do as many "retirement"things as we could as he died a wealthy man waiting for retirement. The next week we bought a VW Danbury conversion and used it every available weekend and holiday around the UK and Europe, and carried on when we bought our first coachbuilt. We lived every day as it could be our last - I am so glad we did as one day it was when my lovely wife was also killed on the road. DO IT NOW, YOU MAY NOT REACH RETIREMENTS!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I sold my business 10 years ago at 49 so I suppose I officially retired then. I did some supply teaching until I moved abroad 18 months later, then did a terms teaching in Cyprus because I was bored.

Met my partner, who'd retired due to work trauma, and we planned to travel Europe and beyond. Bought our first motorhome and he died a week later in a RTA. ( motorhome not involved)
I echo Digger Jon, not necessarily retire, but do everything you can while you can. You never know when something beyond your control takes the choice away from you.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Husband made redundant nearly 2 years ago at 58 he was over the moon, he only had 2 yrs left so didn't lose much from his pension pot plus he got a good redundancy package. I had my kids late so haven't worked since I was 37. (y)

jamesrob

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Funster No
dont wait for retirement 10 years ago i had 4 mates all died in a short time of eatch uther and all younger than me we all had caravans so desided to jump up to motorhome and enjoy life a lot more and never looked back your health is more important than money you have the health when your younger and the money when older its up to you do it while you can jimrob

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I took redundancy last year at 57 my wife did the same at 55.Got to say it's the best thing we did.Sometimes I find it hard to believe We are retired.we never seem to have a minute.we look after grandkids one day a week.Love it .can't wait to get away in van.we usually go away at every chance.Next year we are planning to travel down to Italy via Switzerland for around three weeks.

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
:party2:I shall be come April!!(y)
Full military Pension, house rented out (no mortgage) and buying an MH in the new year!! Age 55 and a half!! Cannot wait to hit Bilbao, turn right and set of around Portugal and Spain for 10 months is the plan.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We sold our guesthouse 2.5 years ago both aged 56 we decided to take a year out(something we never got when young as we started work at 15). Well we are still on a year out , I did a bit of work last year delivering motorhomes, but the owner was not my cup of tea . If something interesting came around I would consider it, but it can't get in the way of motor homing, gliding and watching rugby.
The worst thing about being retired is the feeling of self worth and loosing goals and targets to achieve, and the lack of a good income.
The best thing is the freedom.
I think I still miss work, but I don't miss the inconvenience it brings.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
My best friend retired in March this year after working full time for 46 years (no kids). Her husband had retired 2 years earlier. In May this year he was taken into hospital with infective endocarditis. During the operation to replace the heart valve which was affected by the infection he had a stroke. He is now paralysed and incontinent. She is now his full time carer. She had 2 months of freedom before this happened after 46 years hard graft! I am desperately sorry for her and only wish she had retired much earlier. My opinion is, if you can retire early and manage on a pension, then DO IT NOW!!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
in a word,NO.I think they will be taking me out of here in a box:LOL::LOL:
brian

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Retired 10 years ago aged 51 after some chronic health problems. In retirement my health improved dramatically and I haven't looked back. Too many people I know retire and only enjoy a few years, or some none at all. If you can, do it.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yes retired and never been busier. Just don't get away as often as 'I' would like. Regular weekly grandchildren minding and the other half trying to get her golf handicap lower keeps us in North Devon a lot. Still, never mind the suns shining at the moment, golf in an hour, could be worse!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back