Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The worst thing about being retired is the feeling of self worth and loosing goals and targets to achieve, and the lack of a good income.
Thereby lies the problem, however, the first bit is purely the way you were brought up, nothing else. As my doctor said when I consulted him on the same issue, "I have patients your age whose last job was school milk monitor". Never bothered me since. (y)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Its never too early to retire, I started a 5 year retirement plan but, everything then just fell into place so that the plan was completed in 18 months, that was 5 years ago, people keep asking if I miss work, not for a moment!

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've just gone part time working (3 days a week) and plan to retire fully in July 2016. But as time goes on bringing that date forward seems more and more attractive. Why retire in the summer when we can retire in the spring. All down to economics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Retired 13 years ago at the age of 52.
All I miss about work is the money, but hey, you can't have everything.
This is not the dress rehersal and there are no pockets in shrouds.

It's become a bit of a cliche, but. . . . Yep, retired, happy and living off the kids inheritance

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Retired at 51 and went traveling. Never had a problem as work provided me with an income not an identity. I saved throughout my life and stopped when I had enough. Many years ago now but still traveling.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:ROFLMAO:I had to retire because of blood clots. I miss my job, but I am getting used to being at home. I did not retire until I was 67. but we are still fostering kids at the moment. but I would love to go full time:mad:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Thereby lies the problem, however, the first bit is purely the way you were brought up, nothing else. As my doctor said when I consulted him on the same issue, "I have patients your age whose last job was school milk monitor". Never bothered me since. (y)

Ha ha Tootles, I totally agree, it is the way we were brought up, and I suppose your doctor was right, I will bear that in mind

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Mr. reckless has lived up to his name and agreed to bring our retirement date forward from April 2015 to end of this year! Cannot wait to join the retired funsters. Yippee.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
My husband says that I am retired :eek:…… but I do have a very small part time job!
He works very hard for us both. He only switches off when away from home, hence the reason for purchasing the MH. We are only 43 but our business can take over our lives and I don't want to reach a certain age and be too old to start living.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Unfortunately not :(. We won't get our state pensions until we are 66. Alan is 7 years older than me but hopefully we'll be able to afford to finish at the same time - fingers crossed. We do get away a lot, I make it my mission. My mum died a long time ago just after my dad retired, since then I believe in living for the day and if we can afford it we do it! :)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I'm semi-retired.I'd like to work but there is nothing here.I can get by ,just.

why wait till ya so bloody old ya cant do nowt get out there and do it now if you can of course

I am 57 finished work at 55 and agree with both of the above. Very happy and enjoying every day.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The worst thing about being retired is the feeling of self worth and loosing goals and targets to achieve, and the lack of a good income.
I took early retirement/redundancy (linked with ill health) some 8 years ago.

I don't recall any loss of self worth and I replaced the job's goals & targets with my own. Our retirement income was planned (and paid for) over our working lives. As a result, whilst we are not mega-rich it isn't a problem :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm sort of retired, well I have been for a number of years. I found while I was working my security sort of destroyed any ambition that I may have had. Since I have been retired it is different I now tend to do exactly what I like, when I like. It is a really good place to be.(y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We closed the business about 18 months ago. At first I was concerned that we would get bored, but we seem to fill our time. I needed a reality check last summer when planning our next trips and complaining we could only get away in the van for 4 weeks in September, was it worth going...... after countless years of friday afternoon to sundays where we could get to, 10 days at Christmas wherever we could find open and a week at Easter, I was questioning only a month away, ONLY a month. I'm now much better and back to as normal as I can be, happily retired.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nope but run my business so that it doesn't control my life - pretty much come and go as I please. We're both 38 so a while before we can think of retiring really but OH can take her gold plated NHS pension at 50 so that would seem like a good time to pack it all in.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Turned sixty this year and my state pension does not kick in until 67. Can't afford to retire, but going to do it anyway - 22 Months and counting. Will go off for longer periods, then come back and do part time work to fund the next trip. Looking forward to escaping for the winter. (y)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Retired at the end of June aged 55, I do feel a bit guilty at times but the last 18 months had worn me out. My Mum was dead at 55 and my Dad at 62 and my father-in-law at 61 , Nick retires in April. We bought our first van 2 1/2 years ago after a friend died who was the same age as me, best thing we ever did(other than have the children). We are upgrading in March. We are lucky that our pensions are good but you are a long time dead.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Retired due to ill health a few years ago... My husband was older than me and had already retired so we spent winters abroad until he died in 2012. I still have a motorhome and have just introduced my new partner to the motorhome life and he loves it.
As my signature says" live for today we are not promised a tomorrow"

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I've been retired 5 years, but motorhoming since 1979, now on my 10th m/h.
Terry FIDGET

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I retired a few years ago due to ill health, husband had enforced retirement 3 yrs ago this month, aged 56. Luckily he could take his pension. I wasn't sure how he'd cope and tbh, it's taken him a while but this last year he's been ok.

Sods law but he's had quite a few health problems as well this year, just glad we swopped from a caravan to a motorhome so we don't have to rely on him driving everywhere.:)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
9 years tomorrow and I will then be able to fully retire! However I have thought processes in place to put someone in to run my business while I go away with husband for extended holidays over the next few years. I can keep an eye on it from afar. After losing my sister this year at 52 years old and my husband having a quadruple bypass all within a month of each other is has certainly put things in prospective for me. I want to enjoy my life and have no regrets. I want to head south with the rest of you over the winter! (y)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I agree with everything everyone says. My Dad dies at 61 just 6 months into retirement, my Mum was only 59. My Mum went on to live till 83 but never got over my Dad. They always looked forward to retirement and put everything off till then. It has spurred me onto ensure we retire early. We don't get the state pension till 67, so not waiting for that. But we have a private pension and a lot of money tied up in the house. Just waiting until 2019 :) that is when our youngest daughter will leave school. We will both be 57 so not to bad. No point in us retiring now as we are not free to do anything. We will downsize to a smaller house and live off out savings if need be. I would rather run out of money in my 80's than have loads and not be able to spend it. In the mean time we get away as much as possible and we both have jobs we enjoy. :)

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
Retired early 5 years ago best thing I ever did, mrs and I still quite healthy and get away as much as we can.Love sunday nights no bad thoughts of going to work monday morning.Retire as early as you can you have only one life.

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
I am semi-retired due to ill health (3rd H.A 2013) and not been back to work since, would be away more but for finances and hospital visits. Still it has given me time to modify Ivy, although it took 5X as long to do anything and getting used to doing things at a slower pace takes getting used to. :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Coming up to two years now. Was all a bit sudden when it came but it certainly did not take long to get used to the idea. Do I miss the working life.....certainly not! Miss the social aspects with the people, sometimes stick my nose into the office as I am still in the lottery syndicate, come away thanking my good fortune not to have to put up with the stress or aggro of the place.
Very busy with family stuff and just the pleasure of a Sunday evening without work on Monday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back