Are you guilty of using wet wipes? Time for the 'wet wipe police'? (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Contrary to the wording on wet wipes packaging, they are NOT flushable. Recently in Oxford, a 'fatberg' closed a major road in the city for several days causing chaos while a main sewer was cleared of kitchen fat and 'flushed' wet wipes. Water companies spend millions every year clearing sewers which are blocked by wet wipes. I don't know how the manufacturers can claim they are flushable when they clearly are not.

This week's Spectator featured a letter from a campsite owner who is having to close their site because of the dreaded wet wipes .

Don't flush them - you know it makes sense! (We all pay for it in the end!)

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Catherine, I do use quite a lot of them for wiping round when cleaning the bathroom ... maybe not what you mean ... I then don't flush them but put them in the bin.... Do I get a gold star for that please?:Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We use em at home and in the motor home but they are binned not flushed. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a drainage engineer told me years ago when sorting a problem in a church i look after, wet wipes are just like velcro and stick to the joints and quickly cause blockages. they make him a very rich man as there is no shortage of work. he pays his workforce overtime at time and a turd:ROFLMAO:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Reminds me of a friend who got Delhi Belly in Goa, as he went into the toilet at the airport, the attendant handed him ONE square of toilet paper. He looked at the attendant and said “ its not a square of paper I need pet, its a &#@%^ing pressure washer ” :whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may be amazed at how many full skips of wet wipes and other rubbish leave a sewage farm .
about three a week from a small one near me. the bigger ones more .
it amazed me when i started working at them .
mind you find toweling nappies and lots of other things as well.
another one is pamper type nappies .
you wonder how people get them to flush away.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Catherine, I do use quite a lot of them for wiping round when cleaning the bathroom ... maybe not what you mean ... I then don't flush them but put them in the bin.... Do I get a gold star for that please?:Smile:

Joy, you are a very good girl (we all knew that anyway!) :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
wet wipes, plastic bags, condoms, sanitary products, conspired to block our septic tank, it cost £350 to get it cleared. I can well understand sites closing.:Sad:

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Yes I use them in the bathroom and kitchen at home and in the van, but I always bin them . Same as colour catchers in the washing machine - in the bin .

Do I get two gold stars now?:winky:

Lucille
Staging Lady

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My OH once went out to a job on Christmas Eve - blocked toilet in a second floor flat. There were enough disposable nappies in the sewer pipe to block it from ground floor right up to the flat. The lady who called him out was a young Mum and he felt sorry for her and only charged her the cost of his diesel in getting there even though it was a disgusting, messy job.

She wasn't going to pay, said it was too much, so he said he'd put them back and she could call the organisation with the orange vans. "But they quoted £400 to come and look and can't get here until tomorrow!". Next time she rang he said he couldn't get there until the following week.

His pet hate was the toilet freshener blocks that hang on the side of the bowl - thinks they should be banned!

I didn't even know that the pack said wet wipes were flushable - it wouldn't have occurred to me to dispose of them anywhere other than the refuse bin.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know somebody who used to work on the sewers for Middlesbrough Council. May years ago he told us of a call out to a house in a well off suburb where they found that condoms were the cause of the blockage.

The householder, when told, was most indignant, denying responsibility on the grounds that he didn't use condoms, having had the snip. "Do you have a son?" asked Bernie. "No" came the answer.

Turned out that the lady wife had a friend :whistle:opp5

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Use them for all sorts in the van, one of the best things for cleaning marks of things, flush them never, bin them yes.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

No only men get gold, and you know why:thumb:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
In a previous life, one of the things I did was arrange for contractors to unblock toilets,drains,sinks etc. As well as wet wipes,disposal nappies and icontinence pads were a major problem,but fat was the absolute nightmare.

Once went to a culdesac of 8 property,s, took away a wheelbarrow full of solid fat,but not one of those owners accepted any responsibility for it!!

Funny how all these things occur, must be the naughty pixies in the night.::bigsmile:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In a previous life, one of the things I did was arrange for contractors to unblock toilets,drains,sinks etc. As well as wet wipes,disposal nappies and icontinence pads were a major problem,but fat was the absolute nightmare.

Once went to a culdesac of 8 property,s, took away a wheelbarrow full of solid fat,but not one of those owners accepted any responsibility for it!!

Funny how all these things occur, must be the naughty pixies in the night.::bigsmile:

Ya know in China people are taking that "street fat", reprocessing it and selling it as cooking oil?

Sounds bad - it's worse! http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-street-vendors-use-gutter-oil-2013-10#!JHzWB

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I am a big fan of wet wipes for all sorts of things but I always put them in a bin. :thumb: I use them to remove make up, wipe dirty marks off my shoes, freshen up arm pits if I have to wait to access a shower :Blush: etc, brilliant things but they should have a large warning on the packets saying "please do not flush" although there will always be that element of society that will never take any notice as they just don't care :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the manufacturers are correct....wetwipes pass from the toilet bowl to the sewer pipes so are deemed flushable.

But i do know what you mean.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We use em at home and in the motor home but they are binned not flushed. :thumb:

Fibs, you dry them out and re-use them..

white-washing-clothes-line-9271960.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back