Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you dream of going full time in a motorhome? What is stopping you? Are you scared of what others might think? Are you too scared to give it a try? Are you trying to convince the other half? or is there just some boring practical reason why your dream is on hold. If its something you are really interested in why aren't you doing it?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Why aren't we doing it?
Can't sell or rent this damned house we live in.....

Would do it tomorrow if we could.
In fact, would do it right now, this minute, just walk out and never give house-living a second thought!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's a big practical obstacle. :Smile: Selling a house can be hard at anytime but for the next year or 2 (if the BBC are to be believed) its going to be really difficult to sell a house. Even if you drop the price to or below current market value, the buyers can't get the loans. :RollEyes:

Our house had been on the market since August and we have had two view it, both of those in August. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Do you dream of going full time in a motorhome?
Planning toward.
What is stopping you?
Work.
Are you scared of what others might think?
Not at all....don't give a fig what anyone thinks.
Are you too scared to give it a try?
Nope.
Are you trying to convince the other half?
Don't have one to convince....fortunately!::bigsmile:
or is there just some boring practical reason why your dream is on hold.
Work, pension planning, financial planning and stagnant property market.
If its something you are really interested in why aren't you doing it?
The above.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Why aren't we doing it?
Can't sell or rent this damned house we live in.....

Would do it tomorrow if we could.
In fact, would do it right now, this minute, just walk out and never give house-living a second thought!

I'm probably wrong, but if people are not buying they must be renting, after all they have to live somewhere. So shouldn't the rental market be growing as sales diminish.

Pete

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think all those first time buyers are still living in their inlaws spare room:Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'm probably wrong, but if people are not buying they must be renting, after all they have to live somewhere. So shouldn't the rental market be growing as sales diminish.

Pete
You are right Pete. My sons girlfriend is an Estate agent in London.....but fortunately for her not in sales. She works in rental and leasings and is kept extremely busy.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
dream of it? yep every day.

Whats stopping us? well I susspect it's a multitude of reasons at present. Kid's, work, finances, and other smaller things. However nothing that could not be overcome.

scared of what others think? Not at all. nether have been and nether will be, it;s our life.

I have no need to convince Nikki, Our marrige has so far been successfull on the basis that we always share the same dreams hopes and aspirations for each other, our children and the world (sounds corney that but its not really:Blush:)

Yes there is a practical reason as to why not. It's our childrens education, Im not bright enough to teach them at home as they are already brihgter than me. :Blush:

So why are we not doing it? all I can say is that the time will come I hope when it is a practical soloution to our desire to full fill our dream. I personally have no desire to do it fo rmore than a few years. We will do it and see what we think if we like it we will continue.

I would be interested on the thoughts of those that are doing it as to if they wanted to stop doing it tomorrow would it be simple?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Yes I could stop tomorrow and rent somewhere, anywhere, (I would never buy again) but I don't want to, as I think what I do is so much better than being stuck in one place.
When I get bored with the view out of my window, I change the view.
I see a programme or hear or read about somewhere in Europe and think I would like to visit, so I do just that. Not next week or next month or even next year, but tomorrow.

Pete

Last edited:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Well for the last few months I've wondered that myself untill I gave notice (1 month) on my beloved appartment last Saturday after buying Winnie.

I work full time for local government but I can't see living in a motorhome affecting that..............

Finacially I will be £338.00 better off each month than staying here (that inc pitch with elec hookup on a nice site with all amenities, and including my £17,000 loan payments) and I will own it after 4yrs ::bigsmile:) so thats the financial best bit. I can have new scenery and naigbours when ever I want too :winky:

Kids are grown and at college/uni so I couldn't think of a better time.

I have thrown away a total of £23,800 in lost rent in the three and a half years i've been here and nothing to show :cry:

Makes sense to me :roflmto:

Boo

R

roger loiselle

Deleted User
Maybe we are luckier that some, just retired, house paid for and about to be rented on long lease, no family ties, new cheyenne 660 and we are off to europe at the end of Feb.

Apart from Calaise to Rennes then south I haven't planned any route, we intend to make decisions 2 days ahead.

WA58 ECX if you see us give us a shout.
Regards to all Roger & Jackie Loiselle::bigsmile:
rojackontour@hotmail.co.uk

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds great, Roger, sometimes the best plan is to "have no plan" :thumb:Look back in here every now and again:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Maybe we are luckier that some, just retired, house paid for and about to be rented on long lease, no family ties, new cheyenne 660 and we are off to europe at the end of Feb.

Apart from Calaise to Rennes then south I haven't planned any route, we intend to make decisions 2 days ahead.

WA58 ECX if you see us give us a shout.
Regards to all Roger & Jackie Loiselle::bigsmile:
rojackontour@hotmail.co.uk

Good luck ...

if you don't have a plan.. it can't fail..

Safe travels ..

Jim

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we tried it. sold 51% of our house to elder son. waited for pet passport scheme to start & went to france. imported a toyota hiace & had it converted to a MH by devon conversions & towed a caravan.

found we stayed on a site for weeks before moving on. i loved it & didn't want to go home for christmas but angie couldn't wait to get home. she went to work the night we got back:Eeek:

still she did give it a go. sold the caravan and bought the house back. that cost an arm & leg so it was a very expensive trip.

after spending 3 months in portugal, just me & the dog, found a panel van too small so changed back to a coachbuilt.

so now i go away for 2 months at a time ( pet insurace gives 60 days foreign cover) and angie sometimes flies out to join me for a couple of weeks.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Something i'd like to do ;but think I would need a bigger van ::bigsmile: guess my problem is not fulltiming.

Just spent 15years fulltiming (without wheels )and loved every minute. Having covered all the uk system, (been there done that ) decided to move on to new ventures.

We inherited a house and have found living in a house somewhat strange to get used to again.

There are sacrifices and adjustments you need to make if you full time ;but the freedom to do your thing go where you want, when you want is a good feeling.

Suppose you could say I'm ex fulltimer stuck in the ratrace, waiting to be released.:Eeek:
I wouldn't be supprised to see more fulltimers hit the road people can't afford houses, i guess ithe way things are its a cheaper option.

Regards

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We would love to full time but Im working to pay off the van anyway. But also there are other reasons.
1) Running out of money eventually (by then being too old to work)
2) What to do / where to live when the van falls to pieces / the money runs out
3) Bigger van defo needed
4) What to do / where to live if it just does'nt work out (having sold the house etc)
5) General lack of bottle needed to grab bull by the horns and get it on.

These are the things that stop us from living the dream - only a lottery win can save us from the rat race ::bigsmile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
We would love to full time but Im working to pay off the van anyway. But also there are other reasons.
1) Running out of money eventually (by then being too old to work)
2) What to do / where to live when the van falls to pieces / the money runs out
3) Bigger van defo needed
4) What to do / where to live if it just does'nt work out (having sold the house etc)
5) General lack of bottle needed to grab bull by the horns and get it on.

These are the things that stop us from living the dream - only a lottery win can save us from the rat race ::bigsmile:

The reasons you listed are the real reasons why, though many people will dream of doing it, they never will.

Some people will do it because they have shed loads of money and probably a house somewhere to go back to. Others do it on a wing and a prayer and that gives it a bit of extra edge. Quote "If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space" unquote

I will run out of money at some stage, but hopefully by then I'll be too old to travel anyway.
Somebody will find me somewhere to live by then, but frankly I don't care about it at the moment, I'll leave the worrying about it till it happens. Might not even get to old age, many people don't.

What I do know though is that I'm doing what I want to do and not what people think I should be doing at my time of life.

Ahh well enough of this got to put the bike back on the rack, unhook and move down to Southern Spain. Sigh!!!! will this adventure never end.

Not strictly true as I don't have to do anything if I don't want to.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
I am now probably able to live in the rv full time, having taken vr from the factory where i have spent the last 20 years, but having the bottle to do this is another thing, however we are heading for Europe, me, the wife stella and our cat Muffy, hopefully towards the end of the Summer, and returning, probably when Stella gets homesick, locking up the house and using my pension while I am fit enough to enjoy it, G. Brown, or whoever can look after me when I am too old to look after myself .You only get one shot of this life, it is not a rehearsal

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Nirvana....

10 years ago, I woke up one morning and in true Reggie Perrin style decided that I didn't want to play the game of conformity any more !! So I got rid of everything (including the wife), I sold the house, took the redundancy package offered,bought an income bond and a caravan. After 6 years I saw the error of my ways, sold the caravan and bought a Motor Home ! Since then , my life has been just perfect...no one bugging me and being able to up anchor and shoot off wherever I wish...Lots of time in France and Portugal...See some of you at the Carmarthen show....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
10 years ago, I woke up one morning and in true Reggie Perrin style decided that I didn't want to play the game of conformity any more !! So I got rid of everything (including the wife).
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cyanide soup? How was the dessert.....or was she simply not tasty enough?
Try sprinkling a little more seasoning. :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Doctors and medicines is one worry.

Don't honestly expect to be driving around in an RV at 80.

I want something to look forward to and cant if your always doing it.

That saying I would love to winter in Spain:Smile:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Do you dream of going full time in a motorhome? Yes What is stopping you? Work, (lack of) money, teens still at home Are you scared of what others might think? No Are you too scared to give it a try? Not totally sure, see below Are you trying to convince the other half? No other half or is there just some boring practical reason why your dream is on hold. See above If its something you are really interested in why aren't you doing it?

I don't think I could go off without a base to return to - somewhere to keep some favourite possessions, a valid UK address to satisfy the powers that be, a refuge ready for when I can't drive anymore or get ill. Maybe I need the security of knowing I belong somewhere?

But it doesn't really matter yet 'cos no way can I afford to try it till I retire anyway. :Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like lots of others iwinter in the warmer climates . return to base in spring . i find its nice to come home . life is like a balance scale, its nice in uk in summer ,if the weather gets too bad get off to europe . some people just live in a m,home dont seem to go anywhere its like living in a static. travel is about moving . bicycle ,m,bike car n caravan m,home does it matter . its the personel choice thats important , are you doing what you want? if not make the change , make the choice . lots live a life they dont want because they dont make the choice. your only here once life is not a rehearsel you only live once. do it.:thumb:

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well i have a RV and would love to live the dream as i cant work anymore due to a bad back
but where do you stop ie. park up for the night and how long can you stay??
i have a motor bike that gose on the back so can get around

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hi,
Most campsites are limited to 28 days, officially, but realisticly, you can find some that have an area where they allow some to stop for longer. You just need to ask? But then the idea is to travel around, so 28 days should be long enough??!!!:ROFLMAO:
What ever you do, should be fun and/or enjoyable. Happy travels

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Yes I would love to fulltime,but becouse I am disabled it is imposible as you need an address for your pension etc.Without the address it is an absolute imposible mission.I have asked this question on many websites and unless you have family,friends,etc that are willing for you to use there address as a care of address you cannot fulltime if you are in receipt of any state benifit.The powers that be do not allow no fixed abode.If anyone can give me a legal and bombproof answer to this issue I would be gone fulltime tomorow.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi, Yes I would love to fulltime,but becouse I am disabled it is imposible as you need an address for your pension etc.Without the address it is an absolute imposible mission.I have asked this question on many websites and unless you have family,friends,etc that are willing for you to use there address as a care of address you cannot fulltime if you are in receipt of any state benifit.The powers that be do not allow no fixed abode.If anyone can give me a legal and bombproof answer to this issue I would be gone fulltime tomorow.
I think you will find you can actually have your pension paid into whatever Bank account you choose to use, whether it be in UK, France, Spain or wherever.

Many pensioners actually emigrate permanently from the UK (my neighbour has just moved to live in Brittany). They will get their pension paid to a Bank over there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back