Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Currently into the final leg of a European trip that has taken in 5 countries and will see us pass through a sixth tomorrow. Most of what we've seen and the places we've visited couldn't be found in the UK, so I'm perfectly happy not to be counted among the 'unique'.

However, I'd be grateful if far more British MH owners could adopt the OP's stance and stay north of Channel, then there'd be less competition for campsite and aire pitches abroad. Give it some serious thought Funsters, please - I'm reliably informed that Skeggie is quite bracing at this time of the year :)
Ahh, Skeggie, the very name of it evokes...er, well not too sure really!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
BBQ's I can take, or leave, though we do have one. France, the continent, love it, though I have always traveled. Joined the MN at 16 to 'see the world' and did. However, for one reason or another did not get abroad this year, stayed in the UK and still had a great time. We have been touring Scotland for 30 odd years but still managed to visit 9 islands we had not been to before. Just got back two days ago after a week in the Borders and Northumberland, fantastic time.
A bit like yourself...joined the RN at 15 to see the world (and fortunately not have to kill anyone in the process). We're live in the Scottish Borders so are quite handy for travels to the Highlands or Lake District. Yet to visit the Western Isles. It seems that whenever I see the weather on our local news the ferries are being cancelled due to adverse weather, but places like Oban and Fort William/Ben Nevis are great and further north Dunnet Bay...magic! Did France in July...hot!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We camp in the uk on sites all year but usually short trips and use a small gas bbq occasionally.however the first year in France with the MH and as a nervous newbie I booked sites. Most were very expensive all singing all dancing and not for us since our daughters grew up.
Now we use Aires or small municipal sites so can't use the bbq as often but try to eat out in the villages or towns when we can! Cooking in the MH can be hot in hot weather but we always try to sit out except on an aire but Monsoir French often does!! Did Germany last year and may visit relatives next year in Spain ! But we love France:france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We camp in the uk on sites all year but usually short trips and use a small gas bbq occasionally.however the first year in France with the MH and as a nervous newbie I booked sites. Most were very expensive all singing all dancing and not for us since our daughters grew up.
Now we use Aires or small municipal sites so can't use the bbq as often but try to eat out in the villages or towns when we can! Cooking in the MH can be hot in hot weather but we always try to sit out except on an aire but Monsoir French often does!! Did Germany last year and may visit relatives next year in Spain ! But we love France:france:
Anthea, we just follow the example of our hosts, the french, and sit out and BBQ on Aires, unless they really are jammed full. However, like you, our first visit was much more organised, using camp sites which we booked.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We live in France and enjoy touring around the continent where it seems more geared up for Camping cars. We also cook outside when we can mainly to reduce grease and cooking smells in the Camper.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Its the ease of travelling in france that is the attraction empty roads and the aires are everywhere so no need to set out an itinerary of prebooked sites you can just wander,only in the remotest parts of Britain can you do this
then of course theres the weather the further south you go the warmer it gets
we never barbeque but do cook outside when the weather is nice which is more often abroad

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
We live in France and enjoy touring around the continent where it seems more geared up for Camping cars. We also cook outside when we can mainly to reduce grease and cooking smells in the Camper.
You probably cringe when you see the likes of moi over there, doing the Franglais thing or putting my face close to the person we're talking to and saying things like "do vous comprendo"? I am kidding, but I keep promising to brush up on it before our next trip. We do like the Vendee, that bight seems to make a lot of difference weatherwise if you get the timing right and go just outside the busy season

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
What ever floats your boat,but most of all Enjoy what ever you do,Good luck AlfandM

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.

Nothing strange orunusual to me!

I don't have a passport, it ran out ten years ago, I didn't renew it when I felt the fun of international travel had gone.

Devon, Wales, and other parts of England and Scotland that I haven't scene attract me more.

I don't feel the cold, hate the heat and get skin cancer breakouts if I'm in the sun.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Nothing strange orunusual to me!

I don't have a passport, it ran out ten years ago, I didn't renew it when I felt the fun of international travel had gone.

Devon, Wales, and other parts of England and Scotland that I haven't scene attract me more.

I don't feel the cold, hate the heat and get skin cancer breakouts if I'm in the sun.
The last reason would do it for me!

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We were surprised how much we enjoyed touring Europe, but also love holidaying in the UK. It wouldn't bother us we could never fly long haul again though :).

Same here. Love touring the UK and Europe but would hate to go through that airport rigmarole again. There's so much to enjoy in the Uk, it wouldn't trouble me if we couldn't go over the channel again but I can't see that happening. It is great but certainly not compulsory.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
...or just unusual? As mentioned previously we are newbies, having just ordered a Pilote Pacific motorhome for collection in March. Everyone keeps saying to us "oh, you must go to France, it's really geared up to motorhoming". However, we have no interest whatsoever in going abroad anywhere (other than, maybe, Ireland), and never have. We love the UK, especially Cornwall and Scotland, and are looking forward to discovering many new areas.

The other thing that probably makes us "odd" is that we don't like barbecued food, but barbecues seem to be a prerequisite of any type of camping. Will we be "blackballed" for not joining in with the mania for outdoor cooking lol?

Is there anyone else out there like us? I hate to feel we are the only two people in the motorhoming fraternity thst feel as we do.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Fortunately, in the UK we are blessed with a large variety of beautiful places to explore. We do tour Europe but enjoy our trips in the Uk equally as much.

As for bbq, I love it but I think Mrs Muddibootz sees it as a sacrifice of good meat. :)

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
Or do it the easy way, boat direct to Spain.
We go all over Europe and never touch France! Each to their own though. Got to say the UK has a lot to offer, good food, lovely sites, cracking people and best of all lovely lovely accents. Can't beat the Uk.......ah wait a minute, the weather. Skin's waterproof!

Brianbern

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Chester or sometimes Spain
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1983off and on
Like yourselves have never enjoyed the faff of a barbie. Weve travelled extensively in Europe and are looking forward to meandering round UK, even if the weather beats us.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Think off the positives of UK driving;

We drive on the correct side of the road.
The Police aren't as scary.
Mostly the motorways are free.
You can change gas bottles easily.
Asking for direction doesn't involve getting a Gallic shrug, unless you're in North West Wales.

An most importantly.

Any dead bugs on your windscreen don't last long.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
To love only one kind of music is not to love music at all........................

The Tincas

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We love the travelling through France (slowly) to Spain or sometimes to Croatia, don't like BBQ's But as we are in Dundee we are never far away from some of the most beautiful parts to go and visit, for a day, a weekend or longer !!
We regularly visit the Islands and have been to the Hebridies and Orkneys many times.
We also like going to Yorkshire Dales too, Lake district is good out of season but don't like in the summer as it is too busy for us.
But each to their own and wherever you decide you enjoy, it is a fab way to see around our beautiful country and to meet and make lots of new friends !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back