Are we the only ones having after sales problems. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't believe that he did, seems Armitages washed their hands of the affair. For that reason I would never use them in the future.

Mike

Its frightening that these guys can just bury their heads in the sand and get away with failing to provide what they boast up front :Angry:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't get this.
Please can you tell me what it means?
cheers:Smile:

This was the persons 1st posting, he has not paid his £10 fee, as far as I can tell.
No introduction, no background, just ONE post defending Lowdhams, no other posting at all, NOTHING.

If you look at Lowdhams web page the poster has a link to his blog, a direct connection between him and Lowdhams.
http://www.lowdhams.com/about-us/useful-links

That link takes you :

http://robsarahwhiteman.blogspot.co.uk/

I am not suggesting anything besides it looks a little strange.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This awful transaction has been playing on my mind and as I was walking round the garden(pretending to be on holiday- I don't do bank holiday weekends!) it suddenly struck me that I've walked round with a strange mist before my eyes with caravan and motorhome dealers.I thought the process worked like this:
Dealer researches the market
Decides the type of vehicles he wants/ can afford to sell
Buys some in
Inspects what he's bought.
Employs a team of experts to try out the vehicles.
Repairs any faults.
Retests vehicles and puts them up for sale.
Sells vehicle making sure customer is safe and competent.
Provides a comprehensive aftercare service and offers replacement vehicle where appropriate.
What Lowdhams appear to do:
Have vehicle dropped off from manufacturer.
Put a bit of diesel in.
Take payment from a customer
Count the money in the bank
Thieir website claims:

Every Ultimate Used Motorhome comes with:

Road Fund Licence and MOT
Full Mechanical and Habitation Multipoint Inspection
HPI Vehicle History and Mileage Register Check
Full Professional Valet
Personalised Handover (full working demonstration)
Out of Hours Technical Advice Line
Overnight Stay Facility
Lowdhams Customer Privilege Card

I wonder why they have a 6week waiting list for repairs?Might they be very busy putting things right.

Who knows, they are getting a really good kicking on here and unless they do something positive it may backfire.

If it was me, I would not have waited this long and may have driven the £100k motorhome right into their reception area emptied the Thetford.

£100k is not small change...:Angry:

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
well,well

www.dethleffsowners.co.uk/
Just found this site with the following tributes.

Hi Shane.
I emailed Dethleffs last week to enquire about getting a manual for a second hand MH we bought last November. Had it through the letterbox in FOUR days. They're like a breath of fresh air to deal with.

Upon reading Waleem's experience with Dethleffs in Germany, I decided to give them a try. I asked them for the colours of the motorhome, so I can match when its resprayed and also about the stickers. She replied back within 24hrs with all the colour codes and asked me for my address so she could send out replacement stickers for me.
Absolutely fantastic service!
Snelly
We welcome DOC members with these older vehicles....they demonstrate the wisdom of buying a new Dethleffs.

I think your story might burst their bubble!

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Interesting
I bought a motorhome from a dealer in Herne Bay in 2006, no problems at all. I'm sure there can't be more than one dealer there. It shows that the same dealer can have both good and bad reports, though I'm sure the bad ones have the most lasting effects.

There are actually two dealers in Herne Bay........or there were in 2007 when we bought ours. BCS are the ones to be avoided.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Who knows, they are getting a really good kicking on here and unless they do something positive it may backfire.
Already has - was seriously considering making my first motorhome purchase via Lowdhams Notts in the near future... not now.
With the dearth of dealers in my locality, I can see I'll end up at Brownhills :cry:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Already has - was seriously considering making my first motorhome purchase via Lowdhams Notts in the near future... not now.
With the dearth of dealers in my locality, I can see I'll end up at Brownhills :cry:

See you're in Lincs - Camper UK not far away from you and very good reputation. ::bigsmile:

From past experience of Lowdham's service dept, I wouldn't go anywhere near them. :Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Try Camper UK in Lincoln and tell Dean I sent you, good reliable honest dealer

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/

Peter

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
buyer's checklist

I was quite impressed by this checklist from Autotrader

Anything missing do you think?
Would it have prevented this situation if it had been available to "Geordie"?

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012

Just to say I had really good service and aftersales from David Fullers 1/2 mile further upthe road from Lowdams. Don't have to use Brownhills
Kath:Smile:

Robwhiteman

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
eight
Real World ! Real Person !

Hi all you people who have commented on a genuine reply to Geordie..
Yes we have a link to Lowdhams web site because we obviously travel a lot and they think we are a good advert even though we have had a lot of problems with our vans they have always come up trumps in the end. We also do not hide behind silly Pseudonyms and nick names. I have always lived in the real world and was just trying to give this thing some perspective.,. We live in our van FULL TIME and have over the last three and a half years had a very happy retirement even with the problems which most new vans suffer. Many people we have met have had similar stories from many dealers. It is not uncommon. To say that every dealer should have excess capacity for work is a nonsense and anyone who has been involved in Retail will know that to be true. Why is it only the negative that people bring to these sites ? I just thought it would be a nice change to have some positive response from a responsible identifiable person who is not afraid to be named..
Having looked at this site for the first time, I think it may be my last if this is an example of the content. These forums should be constructive and informative and not just destructive. Some people should get out there and enjoy living and I hope that Geordie will get his van repaired and start to enjoy the freedom.. Good Luck Geordie.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I take on board your comments, but think a little deeper, you live in your van full time as many members of this site do.

There are also many motorhomers who keep there motorhomes at there home address so not always a good idea to give names as well as area's when posting, hence why some choose to use forum names.

As you say always two sides to a story, I have to say in this case I find it hard to defend a company who can ignore someone who has paid out £100,0000 for a motorhome, it does not bode well for those that have a limit of £20,000, which will have been hard saved for.

It is everyone's choice to which forums they choose to visit, but as there is often over 500 people viewing this forum at any one time, I think a lot will hold a different opinion of it than the one you hold.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Yes we have a link to Lowdhams web site because we obviously travel a lot and they think we are a good advert even though we have had a lot of problems with our vans they have always come up trumps in the end. We also do not hide behind silly Pseudonyms and nick names. I have always lived in the real world and was just trying to give this thing some perspective.,. We live in our van FULL TIME and have over the last three and a half years had a very happy retirement even with the problems which most new vans suffer. Many people we have met have had similar stories from many dealers. It is not uncommon. To say that every dealer should have excess capacity for work is a nonsense and anyone who has been involved in Retail will know that to be true. Why is it only the negative that people bring to these sites ? I just thought it would be a nice change to have some positive response from a responsible identifiable person who is not afraid to be named..
Having looked at this site for the first time, I think it may be my last if this is an example of the content. These forums should be constructive and informative and not just destructive. Some people should get out there and enjoy living and I hope that Geordie will get his van repaired and start to enjoy the freedom.. Good Luck Geordie.

You say this is the first time you have looked at this site so clearly you have no idea of the balanced reports that are posted on this and the other major motorhome forum sites.

People do report good experiences as well as bad. You say that dealers should not have excess capacity for work - what nonsense. We have here a case where someone has paid nearly £100,000 for a motorhome from a dealer who has earned a substantial commission for selling it. He has serious problems with it and the dealer refuses to look at it for 6 weeks, would you be happy if you had bought an expensive car and the dealer dealt with you in that way?

The buyer has the right to know that the dealer from whom he purchases has the facility to put problems right, that is not really excess capacity, it is providing customer service.

I have held up Camper UK as providing the proper level of service when things go wrong, they make Lowdhams look very poor indeed in comparison.

Comments about sill pseudonyms and nicknames do you no credit whatever.

If I was being uncharitable I could suggest that your posts have been suggested by the company that is being discussed.

Interesting that there was no response from them until the subject was raised in both the motorhome forms - isn't it!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp

You are obviously someone who is happy with the service provided by Lowdhams, as am I

But, surely you can see why a first time post on this sort of subject may be viewed with suspicion, especially as you didn`t mention the link you obviously have with Lowdhams outside of just being a satisfied customer.

Just using a name doesn`t necessarily make you identifiable either.

Steve

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Quote....Happy retirement even with the problems which most new vans suffer. Many people we have met have had similar stories from many dealers. It is not uncommon. e.[/QUOTE]

Surely this is the problem with many dealers and the industry in general....

It accepts that it is not uncommon and most vans have problems. However, because a dealer accepts it why should we as customers.

There are always 2 sides to every story. I have no reason to doubt Geordies post and that being the case Lowdhams should be ashamed of their customer support policy and practice and deserve poor publicity as a result of their lack of support.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Mrs ShiftZZ was surprised that the case had taken so long and that Geordie has been this patient.

"What would you have done Shifty? She asked (knowing the answer)

"Well, I would have driven the bloody thing right through their plate glass window." I like the subtle approach..

£100k is not a small bit of money and it was a BIG investment from Geordie and so far from what we have been told he has been badly let down.

So let me get this right, you came on here, found the Lowdhams thread and decided that they needed defending!

How about, 1st post, Hi my name is Rob and we full time.

Most people on here know each other (off line) and often speak , PM or phone each other, this has been built up over a number of years..

Recently, I have given credit where its due to at least THREE Motorhome dealers or suppliers of spares or services.

If YOU managed to find this thread, then others could also, ALONG WITH LOWDHAMS..

So lets hear it from Lowdhams...

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I just thought it would be a nice change to have some positive response from a responsible identifiable person who is not afraid to be named..Good Luck Geordie.

Trouble is we don't know you. Post one, massive endorsement of a business that is being criticized.

We're a cynical bunch, so how come you find this site at exactly the time a big criticism is made of Loudhams and make your first post praising them ?

Why didn't you join and post last week, last year ?

We get the same criticizing businesses. First post "Do not buy from XXXX".

We assume the worst.

We're right most of the time.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Rob whatever your experience of Lowdhams the way they have treated this customer is indefensible to tell them they will not even look for weeks will not get them many sales on here.I am with Shifttz with the window aproach:thumb:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Lowdens

So sorry to here of your plight, they have your hard earned money and turn there back on you! What a disgrace.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Sorry to hear your tale of woe Geordie, and to think that I had a good offer of discount for a new vehicle from them just two years ago. In the end I had a better offer from Dolphin Motorhomes in BURSLEDON, SOUTHAMPTON. Unfortunately I don't think they deal with Dethleffs but I would strongly reccomend them for after-sales service. I have had a good share of problems with a new Swift 669 and they have been 100% on the ball and they are right on your doorstep.
I hope everything gets resolved quickly for you and you get to enjoy the pleasures of owning a brand new van, good luck,
Adrian.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Yes we have a link to Lowdhams web site because we obviously travel a lot and they think we are a good advert even though we have had a lot of problems with our vans they have always come up trumps in the end. We also do not hide behind silly Pseudonyms and nick names. I have always lived in the real world and was just trying to give this thing some perspective.,. Many people we have met have had similar stories from many dealers. It is not uncommon. To say that every dealer should have excess capacity for work is a nonsense and anyone who has been involved in Retail will know that to be true. Why is it only the negative that people bring to these sites ? I just thought it would be a nice change to have some positive response from a responsible identifiable person who is not afraid to be named..

Bully for you, Robwhiteman - you obviously haven't had a very good look around this forum if you think it concentrates on the negative. I also think its a bit odd that you just happened to join (not become a paid member, mind you) in order to castigate Geordie and the rest of us who think that Lowdhams behaviour on this occasion has been absolutely disgusting and have DARED to voice their opinions on an open forum as to the appalling service Geordie has received.:Eeek:

As to the drivel about "excess capacity for work" about Lowdhams - that is laughable and ridiculous. They certainly had the "excess capacity" to snatch Geordies £100K and then give him the huge run around / get lost / go away after that. Anyone who takes money from a customer is OBLIGED BY LAW to remedy or exchange or refund poor quality goods which have broken down or shown such poor workmanship so soon after purchase. What a load of tosh about the expectation for "excess work" - they sold it, they HAVE TO provide the service BY LAW - its not a grace and favour thing when and if they feel like it!!! :Eeek:

I think you are HEAVILY involved with Lowdhams quite honestly, as no one in their right minds could defend such indefensible service from any dealer, whoever they are. :Angry:

Oh and as for "responsible and identifiable" - well actually, we are - many of us have met one another over the years and some of us have been members of this forum from the day it started........using a forum name in these days of extensive fraud and targetted crime makes excellent sense from a security point of view - anyone advertising their name, location and expensive motorhome details online and then posting about trips and locations gives criminals all the info they need to burgle a home, or hit on a retired motorhomer in a remote location. So actually, WE, not you, are the RESPONSIBLE ones.
I take exception to your sneering tone as well - I am a well-qualified and respected professional and do not need some one-post-wonder to arrive and deride my professionality and that of my fellow forum members, particularly when their association with a particularly shockingly-performing dealer seems somewhat unclear..........:Eeek::Eeek:

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
privacy,security and protection

There are many very good reasons for not making yourself identifiable, not least personal security,I have introduced many people to the simple art of Internet surfing and as a priority I always emphasise witholding of personal details.This is particularly important for people whose lifestyle might suggest they have assets/nickable commodities i.e. motorhome,cash,passports and it is sad to say that silver surfers, as many Motorhome Fun users are proud to be,are often targetted by people with criminal intent.
Also all emotion aside, there is a law in this country known as the Sale of Goods Act and it is illegal to breach it.Both retailer and customer are subject to.It's not personal or vindictive.It's to protect both parties.

Last edited:

Oldlag

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
Northampton & Calvados Fr
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Lowdhams

Over the last few days I have watched this saga developing with incredulity. We all assume that Lowdhams MD is acutely aware of how much damage this must be doing to the reputation and good standing of his company.

Is there anybody there?

I would have thought that a little humility was called for whatever the circumstances. Come on Lowdhams, do the decent thing, believe me it will cost you far less in the end!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Over the last few days I have watched this saga developing with incredulity. We all assume that Lowdhams MD is acutely aware of how much damage this must be doing to the reputation and good standing of his company.

Is there anybody there?

I would have thought that a little humility was called for whatever the circumstances. Come on Lowdhams, do the decent thing, believe me it will cost you far less in the end!

I'm amazed, absolutely amazed that having got themselves into this position Lowdhams are just letting it drag on from day to day. Do they realise that this is the sort of thing that could break them at a time when business is at an all time low. Just how many of the members of the funster forum would now not even look at them as a company to buy a high-value item from? Each day that this drags on sullies their reputation more and more.

I think only something like a feature on national television's Watchdog, or similar exposure could cause them more harm and maybe that's the next step.

Disgusted :Angry:

Wyn

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We live in our van FULL TIME and have over the last three and a half years ..........

Having looked at this site for the first time ........

3 1/2 years fulltiming and never visited this site before. So how come the one post that caught your eye was tucked away in the 'Website Help' section with only a part title of 'Are we the only ones having ....' on display?

3 1/2 years fulltiming yet never troubled with any of the posts in the surely relevant 'Fulltimers' section?

:wub:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I believe that the hierarchy of many companies are arrogant enough to ignore the small man / customer that complains, not considering that a collection of such customers have kept them in the position they have been accustomed to.
Could be at their own peril
:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back