are we mad? (1 Viewer)

C

cluelesscamper

Deleted User
Hi

we have never been in a campervan - ever. 2 adults 2 kids age 5 and 2

we want to hire one in slovenia (Roller team - sirio 590) then
spend 4 nights in istria croatia the drive to split 3 nights then montenegro 10 nights then back to slovenia

bit worried kids will hate it, get car sick and be scared of dark and bugs

question

once parked in a pitch do people stay thee or can you easily take it for a spin
to the local town for a few hours and get back in your spot or is it a major hassle

any other advice appreciated

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hiya
Yes totaly" barking" .....but then again so are 3000 plus others on this forum :roflmto::roflmto:

I would have thought the best thing to do for your first time in a motorhome was to try a shorter trip to see how you get on.

when you "pitch up" on a site you can go off exploring if you've paid in advance for your pitch it's yours till you leave. some people mark the pitch with a reserved sign,or you could leave something like a folding chair if you feel it's safe enough.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to MHFun :thumb: Don't know about abroad but on my campsite campers leave something on their pitch like a bucket to show its in use when they go out for the day. I'm sure you will have a great time. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cluelesscamper

Deleted User
thanks

thanks for advice i shall make sure i pack a bucket to take with me.

I suppose i was also thinking about manouvering the beast around into towns and car parks, then returning to the camp at night and not finding my spot?

Upvote 0

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi, you won;t know till you try it:Smile: then if you like it you can buy one of your own,::bigsmile: if you are planning to go to montenagro I would check first if you can, only we wanted to go there whilst visiting croatia, but we weren't allowed, best to check first before you travel all that way. enjoy your holiday, I am sure the kids will love it it is an adventure for you all. let us know how it went when you get back:thumb:
ruth

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hiya...

You're not mad.

Just try a short break away locally first to see if your kids enjoy it.:thumb:

I'm sure they'll love the spirit of adventure.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cluelesscamper

Deleted User
too late

hi

would love to try a short break first problem is i have to buy flights tomorrow and
the vehicle is provisionally booked already..we might be leaving in less than 2 weeks if i go ahead but it will be paid for so even if could try for a short break in next 2 weeks it would be too late to cancel!

decisions...

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:thumb:
hi

would love to try a short break first problem is i have to buy flights tomorrow and
the vehicle is provisionally booked already..we might be leaving in less than 2 weeks if i go ahead but it will be paid for so even if could try for a short break in next 2 weeks it would be too late to cancel!

decisions...

Decision is already made I sense.
If it were me I'd go for it.If you don't , there'll always be the big ?(What if)

We have just had to make similar decision today.

Live for today.The kids and you will love it.:Cool:

It's a big learning curve but you can do it.Just do some swatting up on the rules of the road beforehand. (That's exactly what I did)

I did invest in a Sat Nav though.You'll have enough on your mind without having to map read/argue with the other half, as well.:thumb: (Worked for us)

Was so chilled out we really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Cluelesscamper

I just had a thought you should check with the hire company in Slovenia about taking the camper out of State you may find that your restricted to Slovenia with a Slovenian registered motorhome.

Those countries are still not seeing eye to eye since the war and won't usualy allow you to leave the country with the vehicle

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Upvote 0

arielultra

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wouldn't worry about the kids, Clueless, they are bound to love it. We find that our kids (and dog), actually get sick less in the camper than the car - not sure why.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have had our three kids in the van with us since they were very young.

They absolutely loved it. So much so that whenever we all get together these days the conversation always seems to revert to our times in the rv with the kids.

Jim :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back