Are we helping criminals on here? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
After @DavidG58 's experience I wonder if we might all be helping criminals.

We are by definition 'absent' from our homes from time to time and many post on here with their travel plans and sometimes our home security.

Our motorhomes are targeted by criminals, we give our location, sometimes with photographs of our homes and with Google Earth and Streetview it's easy to spot homes with MH's and caravans.

I don't normally say when I am travelling and have a visible steering lock but you can only do so much -

We don't need to be paranoid though, just be aware and do our best not to be a 'target'

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes, food for thought.

It helps to keep a 2nd MoHo just to make the scrotes think you haven't gone away. :D

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Ours is at a facility so we always have a car on the drive, so nobody knows if we awaya

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
A friend of mine is always on Facebook. He states when he is off to Spain, how long he is away for, and even the time he arrives home..........:doh:

Craig

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
The petty thieves arent interested in MH stuff, they just want car boot fodder.

My mate has had his van done 3 times in 10 months, i asked him at what point he is going unload his van every night as part of his working day , at least of the power tools, and he shrugs.. meanwhile my van, sits in the street with nothing of value in the back, unlocked.

Its the trade off for being able to park at home, you have the security of having your kit with you, but its obvious when you are not about.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A friend of mine is always on Facebook. He states when he is off to Spain, how long he is away for, and even the time he arrives home..........:doh:

Craig
As indeed do many people. I hardly ever check in on faceache and there is always a car on the drive plus timed lighting. It will deter the chancer and doubt that there is enough to attract a professional

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We have rented our house out, none of our stuff is in there....cross the bridge in the picture, fourth bungalow on the right.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
More risk on sites like FB and tweets that people give huge amounts of information than forums .

On one forum I was on we found a member befriending other members for information for criminal intensions . So it does happen but just use your loaf .

Giving your address or phone number and boasting you have a new motorhome or caravan sitting on your drive and have XXX alarm and tracker fitted and you and other half hope to retire next year as the kids have left home and there is only you and the wife at home and your going on a cruise for three weeks should be avoided .

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
David could give me his full weekly itinerary, but I have no idea where Davids house is so how would it help me rob him?

It was about members giving too much information (not necessarily David) about their home location and plans.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I like wearing a ballet dress. That is probably tutu much information.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Let's turn it round and ask how many Funsters have been the target of thieves because they advertised there travel plans online?

With Facebook, I can honestly say that I have shared food with everyone of my friends with the exception of one who lives abroad but I have known for 12 years, much like a penfriend.

In the case of Facebook, common sense should prevail or you might be asking for trouble.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As well as having a motorhome we also race motocross. Motocross bikes are stolen on a daily basis often in pairs and the means they go to is unbelievable. We never post photos of our bikes on Fb and never announce when we are away on holiday or racing, only posting photos on our return. You an only do so much though, if they really want it they will take it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have never given our address on open forum, only in PM or e-mail, to visitors.

Anyway we are on first floor and on ground floor is Basia's son and DiL, both Police, and an Alsatian(not police but barks aggressively), so we feel we are well covered when absent.

Geoff

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a very aggressive dog, upside is he keeps us and our property very secure. Downside is he sometimes forgets I am a friend. :cautious::)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
David could give me his full weekly itinerary, but I have no idea where Davids house is so how would it help me rob him?

If you had a picture of his MoHo it may be possible to track down an address, apart from that you would struggle.

Ohh just thought doesn’t some digital pictures have an area stamp on them?
Or did I dream that?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I like wearing a ballet dress. That is probably tutu much information.

Aha! A like soul!

We should form a duo, we'll call ourselves "SYMBOLLICK"
I'll be SYM And you would be - - - - - - - :hi5:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

I have paid you using Paypal so you have my address Jim. Not that I have anything worth nicking :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our motorhome is not kept at our house, I have been very careful when posting. Anyone scouring through my posts would be able to get a general idea of where I live, but not an exact location.

Any scrote who located where the van is kept may be alarmed when trying to break in that the house is not empty, and is likely to be met with extreme violence, particularly if they wake up the occupants at night! :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ohh just thought doesn’t some digital pictures have an area stamp on them?

Some digital photos record quite a lot of information on the original file, referred to metadata and is transferred when an exact copy of that file is made. Depending on the device used to take the photo a GPS tag can sometimes be part of the data.

When an image is uploaded to the web, especially social media sites like Facebook the image is usually compressed to almost nothing because it only needs to display on a screen so can quite happily be low res. The metadata almost never survives this process.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Our address is for any members who require it is =

Mr & Mrs Old-Mo
S.P.H..
Weston Road
Stafford
ST16 9JZ

We are out most mornings on business, and we leave the back door unlocked for any delivery`s...

Thanks.. (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Our address is for any members who require it is =

Mr & Mrs Old-Mo
S.P.H..
Weston Road
Stafford
ST16 9JZ

We are out most mornings on business, and we leave the back door unlocked for any delivery`s...

Thanks.. (y)
Hey that's not fair you didnt mention your Ex SAS mate who house sits while you are out ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Remember the days when there even used to be adverts on the tv reminding you to cancel the milk, the papers, etc when going away on holiday so folk wouldn't know you were away.
Nowadays, it seems to be the opposite, hey guys we're off, see you when we get back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back