Are we fulltimers for insurance purposes (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Do we need to insure our van as full timers or leave on our standard CCC policy.We plan to let out our flat in June but intend to continue our retired lifestyle of long haul travel and rent overseas properties where we end up.When back home we use the van in the UK and Europe but not for more than 2 months at a time normally.Up to now the flat has hardly been used since we downsized on retirement and thought to earn some income.As an example last year went spent 4 months in Indo China and 2 months Central America the rest in the van and expect to continue in that vein.The fact that we can not return to the flat might,from the insurance perspective seem we are 12 months fulltiming ?

I think we will have to keep the tv licence in our names also to cover the vans tv covered ?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think if you rent out your flat and don't have another UK address to use then you would be considered full timers, even though you aren't actually living in your motorhome.

Denise

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
Comfort Insurance charge me a fortune because I don't have a long term tenancy agreement at my UK address. (At least 9 months) You can be sure they will closely investigate peoples living circumstances should there be a claim

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Best to ask your insurance company as different companies have different views.

I just renewed my car insurance. The old company said I did not need business use for going to the post office if I was doing domestic shopping on the same trip. The new insurance company was clear that business insurance was a requirement. Better safe than sorry so I paid the small extra premium which I'll claim back from the business anyway :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I think Comfort are the only insurer offering full time insurance. So what would other insurers do if someone said they were full timing?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
From Comfort.

Long Term Touring & Full Time:
Proposers must maintain a UK residence through ownership or long term rental ( 9 months min)
This address must be the one at which the proposer is on the electoral register unless a full time rate has been paid. And this must be the address for your driving licence and vehicle docs.
Should the insurers request a copy of a utility bill as evidence of residence at the address at anytime, one must be provided.

You will likely get away with it, however get caught and the info will likely go on the insurers database, which could make future insurance difficult.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you claim they will want to see utility bills and travel tickets.
Best to check with insurers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ironduck

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
If I am touring for less than 9 months and either own a UK address or have a long term rental agreement or (subject to agreement with underwriter) live with one of my children, they will define that as NOT full time. That's Comfort Insurance. I currently have to pay over £3,000pA on a 2016 Hymer 620.

If my address is not that of a close relative, I HAVE to buy a TV licence.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If I am touring for less than 9 months and either own a UK address or have a long term rental agreement or (subject to agreement with underwriter) live with one of my children, they will define that as NOT full time. That's Comfort Insurance. I currently have to pay over £3,000pA on a 2016 Hymer 620.

If my address is not that of a close relative, I HAVE to buy a TV licence.

Flipping heck I used to pay around £1800 fulltime in my rv.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess with such a price difference between FT insurance and standard insurance any problems would be fully investigated with every stoned turned. I would discus it with the insurer and pay the dividend. It is a bit like attempting to hide preexisting health issues from your medical insurance....it don't work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back