Are there other routes set up like the NC500? (1 Viewer)

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
Hi folks, I'm returning to England permantly after being overseas for close on forty years, except for the occasional summer break.
There is much of the UK that I haven't seen and I want at least one more adventure before I shuffle off my mortal coil - hopefully not for another 40 years. Anyway, although I've driven across the Sahara, I've never motorhomed before and am giving myself 2 years to leisurely drive the coastline of Britain (full time) and to catch up with Britishness.
To the point:
I hadn't been familiar with the concept of the NC500, so was delighted to find it.
Are there other such regions of our coastline that have been similarly 'conceptualised'?

Thanks. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think you need to be somewhere as remote and relatively unpopulated as the very north of Scotland to dare to encourage so many more to use the few roads there are going round our coast

I love north Scotland and your idea of following the coastline is excellent, but doing your own thing I reckon is always best especially in a MH where you don't really need much support, the hardest thing is ensuring somewhere to dump officially and refill water, we tend to use a site every 3rd or 4th night just for that but others cope without, some use only sites

If you can make the time in your 2 years travels I would highly recommend the western isles, probably the northern isles as well but I haven't been there yet, still getting over my love of Harris :)(y)

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hmm, so there isn't?
I can't think of anything similar and on top of the reason @DavidG58 has given, I think the small size of the UK also restricts such routes.

That small size has allowed a lot of cycling routes to emerge, such as the Coast to Coast, the north east's Coast & Castles and for the fitter cyclists LEJOG or JOGLE (depending on direction of travel).

There are popular distance walks too, such as the Pennine Way and the Lyke Wake Walk, and an ever expanding link of coastal footpaths, none of which help with your driving quest :D which btw sounds superb.

Upvote 0

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello, @The Returnee

Welcome home.

Ireland has an NC 500 type route which begins / ends in Northern Ireland...

The journey of a lifetime awaits along 2,500km of coastal road on the Wild Atlantic Way. Read on to discover all the ways you can immerse yourself in this unforgettable part of the world.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@DavidG58.
Thanks David.
I would guess I'll only make it up that way once, so will want to see as much as I can. I figured I'd be stopping in a site or two to take care of chores.
I'm planning to be carrying a Honda scooter in the MoHo garage and a bike on the bsck, so that I can get out and about...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Kingham
Thanks Ken.
I'd spent 6 months reading about the Pennine Way and making plans for a summer holiday walk - with my brother, who chose that time to get pregnant and called it off. Seriously disappointed.
I'm hoping to find an A Class with a decent garage for a scooter, and to have a bike on the back. I intend to get out and about. I'm looking forward to living through the seasons again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@ColinandDawn
I've only been to a couple of conferences in Dublin, and a few associated excursions. You're right. It's just too beautiful to not see about taking the MoHo over that way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@olley
Well, it does take two to tango and it was their first time, but he was still a wuss for not following through on the walk. I sometimes felt that he was more pregnant than his wife,

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You don't really need a 'planned' route to enjoy the UK. The NC500 is really quite new; the route it takes isn't: it was only started in March 2015. We got our first moho at the end of 2013 and our first real trip was a 3-month tour of Scotland which as it happens almost mirrored what is now the NC500 but dropping into different places we'd decided we wanted to see and following a few different roads.

Other longish tours we've done are
  • our "South Coast tour" - we went to Land's End and wandered across to Deal via eg Dorchester/ New Forest/ Hastings/ Great Mongeham/ Battle/ Salisbury;
  • our "Welsh Marches, North Wales & Anglesey tour" eg Dolaucothi Gold Mines/ RSPB South Stack/ mountain railway to Blaenau Ffestiniog/ Llechwedd slate mines/ Magnox site & lake at Trawsfynnydd/ Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynlleth;
  • our "Bristol Channel tour" from St Agnes/ Glastonbury/ Bath/ Bristol/ Cheltenham & Gloucester/ on to St David's/ amble around Pembrokeshire
Mostly unplanned, get in the van & decide which direction to turn. If you're wanting to follow the coastline, it's even easier! Stop at places, call into the Tourist Information Centre & get all the info leaflets you want. It's much nicer to work out for yourself what you want to see and do. For us, it's always been lots of walking, wildlife and mountains (though one trip we 'did' what seemed like a hundred cathedrals). Decide on your own priorities.
Most of all, have lots of fun :D and let us know where you go (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@CWH
Thanks for the input. I've rediscovered my old AA Illustrated Guide to Britain. SW England is their first of 13 zones: coastlines and internal deviations. I figured that I'd start down there, heading North up the West coast. The West is the area that is most foreign to me. I hope that when I get organised and can announce my plans elsewhere, that I'll find old friends prepared to share some time. I have much catching up to do, and haven't been very good at maintaining correspondence.
Hopefully, serendipity will be doing some of the driving.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@CWH
Thanks for the input. I've rediscovered my old AA Illustrated Guide to Britain. SW England is their first of 13 zones: coastlines and internal deviations. I figured that I'd start down there, heading North up the West coast. The West is the area that is most foreign to me. I hope that when I get organised and can announce my plans elsewhere, that I'll find old friends prepared to share some time. I have much catching up to do, and haven't been very good at maintaining correspondence.
Hopefully, serendipity will be doing some of the driving.
Maybe start by contacting your old friends now, tell them what you're planning to do, and ask if they'd like to meet up sometime during your tour. Then you have some 'anchors' to build the rest of the route around?

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Then tell us here on Fun what you like to do, mention specific areas you're likely to be in, and - trust me - there will be so many suggestions you won't know which way to turn!
Please - when you start - start a blog!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Returnee

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yep. Will do.
I hope to be on the road in October. First I need to get back to England and use my research to find the right Motorhome...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back