Are there any Indian/Asian motorhomers out there? (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I did see a group of at least 50 Indians in hire motorhomes whilst in Austria.
They were arriving as we were getting ready to leave.

By the time we left there were 11 McRent vans (4-6 birth Dethleffs Sunlights from memory) all pitched in a row o_O

Each van had a different coloured ribbon tied to the wing mirrors. Was quite a sight :)

Last edited by a moderator:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I tend to tan very quickly and as Scottish people tend to remain Lilly white after two weeks in Spain , I figure that somewhere in the past one of those roman legionnaires actually managed to jump the wall and breed with the locals

Does that count ?

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you markh from North Berwick. They are Chinese or Indians or Parkistanis from the Indian sub continent. From reading Funster forums, most have met friendly lovely people when out and about however I would like to think the courtesy extends to taking people as they are and not dependent on race or colour.
I have seen people from different races in their Motohome this year in the UK,
either the family have a partner who is non white, groups hiring for a holiday and even other races from Europe.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I'm of what people would term as 'Indian/Asian' decent.

Although as it happens, I was born and have spent all of my 35 years in London. So, I love a curry and a beer as much as the next (white) Englishman (which, may I add, I am one too).

My love of camping, stems from the fact that I was a beaver, cub and boy scout from the age of 7 and then as soon as I was old enough to drive bought an old VW beetle and then started going to VW shows around the UK camping in my 2 man tent, then upgraded to bigger tent, camper van, camper van + various size awnings and now to a MH as I have kids.

Camping for me, (in my view anyway), is not culturally/ethnically related, rather more a product of ones environment - that said, judging by some of the comments made on this forum and this thread, does explain why some families who are from another heritage might consider twice going camping for fear of being commented on purely on the fact that they have a different colour skin.

And before anyone starts going radio rental about it, I'm not militant about it in any way (or am I offended to me now it's a fact of life). It saddens me that even people who believe they are completely PC fail to spot that by making comments about people's colour, jokingly or not, only serves to reinforce stereo types that exist in this country.

This post is not meant to upset or offend anyone, and to the OP - I know what you meant by starting this thread, it's true, you don't see many Indians camping, but that's little to do with their ethnicity and more to do with the fact that they struggle to keep one roof over their heads in India, let alone two :)

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
You hardly ever see ( oh my, this is gonna sound bad ) any of those people in the Lakes either
While we were staying at the Coniston CC site earlier this year, there was an Asian family a few pitches from us. They had an American RV with two slideouts :eek:

As others have posted, they kept themselves to themselves (just said hello in passing).

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
You hardly ever see ( oh my, this is gonna sound bad ) any of those people in the Lakes either, plenty of Chinkies though, they can't get enough of Beatrix Potter.
Dual language signs in Bo'ness and Ambleside are in English and Mandarin.

I will have to contradict you on that one, we have a lodge at Whitecross Bay near Windermere and there are now quite a few Asian families who come up and rent lodges and caravans. Seems to be coming very popular and becoming more so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I tend to tan very quickly and as Scottish people tend to remain Lilly white after two weeks in Spain , I figure that somewhere in the past one of those roman legionnaires actually managed to jump the wall and breed with the locals

Does that count ?
The Scots are disadvantaged by having to first go from blue to white. By the time that happens it's Winter again.:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It saddens me that even people who believe they are completely PC fail to spot that by making comments about people's colour, jokingly or not, only serves to reinforce stereo types that exist in this country.
I often find that the people who are most 'touchy' about colour are those who are non-white, (even though when I went to school, 'white' was also classed as a 'colour'). The over emphasising of colour, no matter which colour it is, only promotes the continuation of stereo type thinking.
And so, in the layman's words, don't mention colour, and it wont jump up and bite you. You were born in Britain?? Then in my view your British. You can never play the race card against a fellow Britain, without invoking colour, which matters for nothing anyway. Millions of white people spend most of the summer in Spain or wherever, TRYING to look black. :)(y)(y)

Reactions: GJH

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I often find that the people who are most 'touchy' about colour are those who are non-white, (even though when I went to school, 'white' was also classed as a 'colour'). The over emphasising of colour, no matter which colour it is, only promotes the continuation of stereo type thinking.
And so, in the layman's words, don't mention colour, and it wont jump up and bite you. You were born in Britain?? Then in my view your British. You can never play the race card against a fellow Britain, without invoking colour, which matters for nothing anyway. Millions of white people spend most of the summer in Spain or wherever, TRYING to look black. :)(y)(y)

To be honest, whilst there are people that play the race card, (in my experience anyway) the people who I find get annoyed by it the most are white.

My missus gets well offended when anyone says anything remotely racist. I shrug it off and get on with it, not worth losing sleep over people's ignorance.

My mother in law loves to consider herself in the PC brigade and feels its brilliant she's got a 'diverse' family, so much so, every time she meets anyone remotely Indian, she gets great delight in telling me that she met another Indian person. Oh, the irony. :lol:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Bumped into a North Korean family in a MH whilst touring Scotland a few years ago. Children impeccably behaved. The Father was very ineresting to talk to and he was loving Scotland.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
To be honest, whilst there are people that play the race card, (in my experience anyway) the people who I find get annoyed by it the most are white.
Not to sure about that. Many years ago, I worked, (for a short time), for a West Indian gentleman, who quite readily accepted white people, but was scathing about Asians. In fact, such was his 'hate', that he wouldn't conduct business with anyone who may have originated from the Indian sub Continent. His friends were the same. :(
Now, of coarse, both groups you would class as 'black', (as the word 'coloured' seems to be anti-PC these days), so what gives there?
Personally, colour matters to myself not a jot. Race isn't an issue either, unless someone wants to interfere with or try to alter my own, which I suppose you could simply put down to self defence. :)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I worked with ALL races when I lived in the US. One of the guys, Jerry, was black. A couple of his mates ( Also black ) rolled by one day and greeted him with the " Hey nigga " speak etc. Later that day I asked him out of curiosity was he not offended by the way they greeted him and he just laughed, said thats how they spoke to each other. Funny old world, If Im or any other white guy there talked to him like that it would be instant dismissal:confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back