Are the days numbered for diesel (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It seems that the pressure is increasing on the diesel engine according to i think its the daily telegraph, it appears that it will disappear in the not to distant future in cars if the pressure increases due to the dangerous fumes from the exhaust emmisions.
I wonder what the future holds for motorhome owners will we be be restricted to fewer and fewer places to visit and will the value of our motorhomes drop considerably.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just think if they were to take every diesel vehicle off the road, there would not be a lot moving around. And all our shopping would not get to the shops etc. I think diesel will be around for a long time yet.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
More likely to be priced off the road because of the cost of diesel....Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
No time soon . . . the world would stop a.t.m. without diesel powered transport - most commercial shipping is diesel powered, aircraft tugs, practically everything in any shop is delivered by a diesel powered vehicle, many trains are diesel powered, taxis, private transport . . . the list is endless.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It seems that the pressure is increasing on the diesel engine according to i think its the daily telegraph, it appears that it will disappear in the not to distant future in cars if the pressure increases due to the dangerous fumes from the exhaust emmisions.
I wonder what the future holds for motorhome owners will we be be restricted to fewer and fewer places to visit and will the value of our motorhomes drop considerably.
Pressure on the manufacturers to find ways to make them cleaner.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Strange to think that not so long ago we were told that unleaded petrol was the bees knees for the environment and it was very cheap .as soon as all cars were modified (at our cost) the price went up, then we were told that diesel engines were the much better for the environment and much cheaper to run . Now guess what ???"

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

I'm not sure there's much more the engine manufacturers can do & other than a scrappage deal on pre Euro4 level vehicles, which would be unaffordable. . . E.G.R.V.'s, CATS, D.P.F.'s & now adblue have all been added over the last 10 - 15 years.

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A viable option for larger vehicles is a long way off, but in the meantime, a lot more :cycle: for me, especially once on site.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
My grandson is training to be a commercial pilot at a school in New Zealand, he will shortly commence flight training on a single engined Cessna - powered by a Mercedes Benz Diesel engine as there is now only one plant in the world producing petrol for these aeroplanes. Apparently there is a big move towards Diesel engines in these machines so I think the answer is that diesel will be around for a long time in the future.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yo ! Good old chip fat , ah but wait that will be taxed to high heaven due to it being so cheap.

They can tax it at £50 per litre if they want, BUT, how will they know how many litres you have made :sneaky:.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They can tax it at £50 per litre if they want, BUT, how will they know how many litres you have made :sneaky:.

Because motorhome owners are all fine upstanding members of society, and would no more think I lying to the tax authorities than politicians would over their expenses.;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Trucks are clean so if the makers had spend the money on sorting light vehicles out instead of fiddling the figures there would not be a problem,,BUSBY,,

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Trucks are clean so if the makers had spend the money on sorting light vehicles out instead of fiddling the figures there would not be a problem,,BUSBY,,
Just had my VW 2L 'Sorted' so the technology is getting there.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Diesel will be around for a while yet. For interest most commercial shipping is powered by heavy oil, not diesel, an even more highly 'polluting' fuel. It has a specific gravity higher than water.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My grandson is training to be a commercial pilot at a school in New Zealand, he will shortly commence flight training on a single engined Cessna - powered by a Mercedes Benz Diesel engine as there is now only one plant in the world producing petrol for these aeroplanes. Apparently there is a big move towards Diesel engines in these machines so I think the answer is that diesel will be around for a long time in the future.

I wish him well with the career move. I am a bit of a geek about aviation (licensed) as you will discover if you read on

The vast majority of certified Cessna 150s, 152s and 172s are powered by avgas (high octane, low lead petrol), in the case of the 150 Aerobat (most used for training) this is the Continental 0-200, the 152 runs on 100LL to feed the Lycoming O-235-L2C engine, and the same 100LL fuel is used to feed the Continental O-300-A on the Cessna 172C Skyhawk.

He has been misinformed as to refining avgas Conoco, BP and Total are the dominant sources, along with many others, but you need to consider that all light rotary craft (helicopters) run on 100 octane LL avgas. I have yet to see a piston operated helicopter running on anything else (power to weight being the major factor, I presume). Typically the eponymous R22 uses the Lycoming O-540 100LL fuel guzzler

TD engines are certainly certified for operation in Cessna 172s, with a three bladed prop. But they run on Jet-A as opposed to straight diesel and turbo altitude normalisation tends to limit performance at higher altitudes

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yo ! Good old chip fat , ah but wait that will be taxed to high heaven due to it being so cheap.
Mine will run on any 'oil'. Rapeseed, sunflower ,etc. (y) In the UK it's cheaper to fill at Lidl's /aldis when on special than at a pump.:D2

Diesel will be around for a while yet. For interest most commercial shipping is powered by heavy oil, not diesel, an even more highly 'polluting' fuel. It has a specific gravity higher than water.

Thought the EU done away with heavy for any shipping operating out of EU ports. That's why the ferry prices went up at start of last year due to engine mods & cost of the new stuff.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Compared to commercial shipping ferries are small fry, anything ex-EU still uses heavy (and that's most shipping). We tried carbon capture, waste of time and money. LPG is the best way forward but even that is really difficult.

OP
OP
chasthedagger
Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
best price is costco if you are a member or can use someones card £1.12 ltr last week

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back