Are the CCC having a laugh with Wifi (1 Viewer)

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
wi-fi tip

I have a dongle and also a mobile with internet access both on 3.
The mobile nokia E71 can be connected to my laptop to enable me to surf but normally i use my dongle.
i found out while trying to connect in keswick using my dongle that the dongle and the mobile use different frequencies .
The dongle would not connect yet the mobile would..
3 say that the dongle and phone use separate way to connect.
so give it a try if you have a mobile with net access and your dongle cannot find a signal:thumb:

Sep 17, 2008
Portsmouth
Funster No
Exp
Please give me your opinion and feedback

Hi Guys, I agree with what you are writing, however I work for a company that is looking at introducing wifi into campsites, and I would like your opinion on what you think is a reasonable cost, to give you an idea we have our own telecoms division and are have developed a laptop that has a sim card fitted to it ( it is going to be reviewed in both MMM and practical motorhome in the next few weeks) that would be 3g and you would basically top the card up to whatever you want, (no contract) . I am involved purely because I have a motorhome but do not want to pay the costs or contract that others are offering. so your thoughts would be welcomed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Guys, I agree with what you are writing, however I work for a company that is looking at introducing wifi into campsites, and I would like your opinion on what you think is a reasonable cost, to give you an idea we have our own telecoms division and are have developed a laptop that has a sim card fitted to it ( it is going to be reviewed in both MMM and practical motorhome in the next few weeks) that would be 3g and you would basically top the card up to whatever you want, (no contract) . I am involved purely because I have a motorhome but do not want to pay the costs or contract that others are offering. so your thoughts would be welcomed

In answer to the first question about WiFi on sites ,
£1 per day would be acceptable

The second question about a sim card slot in the laptop.
Not a new idea, my Sony VGN TZ21 purchased in 2007 has this feature, no need for a 3G dongle as it's built in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
£1 per day would be acceptable
but only for days used! ie not £365 per year whether it is used or not. (or even £30 per month).

I use a £40 Vodaphone dongle which came with £15 credit and 6 months on it still has more than a tenner left.

Perhaps a dual rate is needed - a really cheap/ free service for people just wanting to check emails and what rubbish has been posted on forums and another rate for those who for some reason choose to download movies when on a campsite?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

If you spend your £7.00 at Delamere you will get nothing for it, as the signal is about as strong as a candle in a stockng and the wardens cannot give a refund.

You personally have to contact Commis the supplier of the signal.

get yourself a dongle and let them miss out on the buisness

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
You know; with the right equipment one van could have a connection and repeat it for as many as wanted to connect.

Doug...

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Whenever I want to use the site WiFi (rarely but sometimes I need the bandwidth) I always use netstumbler to check the signal first. Saves all the arsing about trying to get refunds if it doesn't work and is especially useful for those 'Oh yes sir, wifi is available over all the site' and you can point out with a graph on your laptop that the signal is in fact non existent and you wilol be complaining to the advertising authorities about their claims.

There is no reason why a site can't be fully covered with at least a good signal for very little money.

There are units for sale that will amplify a weak signal into a useful one. But there does have to be a useable signal in the first place.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
All the new ones expire after 30 days now. Even Vodafone:Sad:

Yes if purchased from Vodafone themselves, but resellers such as Tesco, Currys, PC World and Amazon have a few remaining K3565 [note no suffix] dongles with the non expiring credit if used at least every 6 months. Most are selling at under £30 with £15 credit that gets you 1 GB. Expensive to run if you use real amounts of data but for just servicing your email when away a good option.
Only viable for UK usage.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back