are tablets dead and useless? (1 Viewer)

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I am looking at replacing my sony tablet. But there seems to be very few actual tablets on the market. Its a shame as I fund them to be very useful with loads of excellent apps..

Any views out there?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Bought a Huawei M5 10" a few months ago and love it.

Lightning fast, great battery, almost standard Android (latest 9.1 version). Use it all the time.

I'd wanted it for ages, then bought it the day Mr Trump declared war on Huawei. Had a good discount :)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I am looking at replacing my sony tablet. But there seems to be very few actual tablets on the market. Its a shame as I fund them to be very useful with loads of excellent apps..

Any views out there?

Tablets are still alive and kicking (both Android and iPad) from a 7" to 13.3" (that's the biggest I've seen).

Although I imagine the 7" ones are falling out of favour given that smartphones have screens as big as 6.5" these days.

10" tablets seem to occupy the sweet spot these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
My experience has been good on 10" tablets. Such a good size for maps and reading websites.

Sony have said in reply to an email I sent that thy are still producing them they are just not on sale in the UK or Europe.

Interesting with the Huawei are they still being blocked support by Trump?

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
plenty of tablets out there including Phablets, thats a tablet with a phone built in, it takes a sim card like a phone (unlocked) and means you can use mobile data (surf the net watch films send emails etc) when you are travelling as well as make calls. (no need for a mifi unit in your van)

Some good value cheap ones, just as good as the big brands on ebay

(I see you are from Yorkshire) ;)

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 10", 3.5 years of daily usage and still like new. Amazing screen, fast, light. Nothing replaces a tablet, and a tablet does not replace anything :) They are brilliant.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There will be a learning curve if you are used to Android but have a look at the various iPads. They are competitively priced these days and refurbished ones or 2018 models can be had quite cheaply.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting with the Huawei are they still being blocked support by Trump?
They never were blocked - was just his usual rhetoric probably :)

I get updates as regularly as I do on my Pixel phone.

Trump cannot block Huawei updates per se and he never pretended to do so. What his administration did was to block some trade with China, and that includes a lot of high tech components and software. Following that, Google revoked Huawei's license for Android, which would have affected future products and maybe some updates after a while.

Since then the ban on the concerned tech has been temporarily waived.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
10" Lenovo Yoga pad here, fast, great battery, quite happy with it.

Bought it as damaged box from curry's on ebay, got it half price ?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think a lot of people now are using tablets more than desktops and laptops
Unless you really need the bigger computer processing power or screen real estate, most things now can be done on a tablet.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I use an iPad Pro it can do nearly everything we need on a computer, hardly ever use our desk top now as even printing can be done from iPad.??

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
I used to use a very old and cheap 7" Nexus tablet to run CoPilot, music, email, etc. (less than £50).

As apps got more bloated over time, the tablet got slower, so I splashed out on a more powerful Samsung 10" (about £150 I think). We run CoPilot on it and stream UK radio from it to the radio in the cab while abroad, as well as using it for the usual web-browsing, email, etc. We have it in one of those cheapo foam cases designed for the abuse small children might mete out, which means you can chuck it around to a certain extent without sustaining any damage.

At work I have the use of a 12" iPad (and pen), which is a very beautiful beast, but I would never buy one for personal use. I would be paranoid about breaking it or getting it nicked (they cost about a grand). Similarly, my work provides iPhones (at least £600) but I would not buy one for fear I would lose it (or drop it down the bog like my sister did with hers!): a £150 Motorola does everything I need it to do.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Samsung do some great tablets, However, I have a Samsung tablet yet never use it. Phablets do anything that a tablet does yet fit in your pocket. Most other things I do on my laptop that then shares most things with my Phablet.
I have a Samsung note phablet which I would recommend to anyone and would choose over my tablet any day, it is the only kit that I now take and need when going away and it never leaves my side. It is everything that I need in one phone, slow motion, time laps video to personnel communication centre, Hi Google to being a best friend....(y);):) Beam me up Scottie.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I used to have a 10" tablet - it was great for watching videos, web browsing, looking at maps etc. but I didn't like it for spreadsheets and emailing - mostly because its very difficult to type normally on an on-screen keyboard.

I now have a 10" Asus Flip chromebook instead: I can use it as a tablet for web browsing, watching videos etc., but has a proper keyboard for slightly more intensive work. Its a bit thicker than a tablet and of course a little bit heavier, but that's not a problem because I don't carry it around with me every day (same as I didn't carry around my tablet either). Everything is stored in the cloud so I can access it from phone, laptop or chromebook no matter where I am.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Bought a Huawei M5 10" a few months ago and love it.

Lightning fast, great battery, almost standard Android (latest 9.1 version). Use it all the time.

I'd wanted it for ages, then bought it the day Mr Trump declared war on Huawei. Had a good discount :)

That looks nice, I will look at them when my Samsung Tab S3 bites the dust, currently it is doing a sterling job and long may it continue.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Only with their "lock you in and bleed you dry" business model.

Indeed, I had an original Ipad, it very quickly became completely useless as I was only "allowed" to go to a certain level of operating system, then the things I used it for like Sky Go insisted I had a higher level. Never had such nonsense with Android devices.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Indeed, I had an original Ipad, it very quickly became completely useless as I was only "allowed" to go to a certain level of operating system, then the things I used it for like Sky Go insisted I had a higher level. Never had such nonsense with Android devices.

Yeah, my father had a similar experience with a Macbook Pro. One of his most used website was based on Flash and asked for an updated Flash version. Turned out the updated Flash version required a more recent version of MacOS, but Apple would not provide it for his Macbook Pro that had become too old. Mind you it was 4 years old! So in order to keep access to that website, he had to buy a new Macbook Pro! Total madness. What's even worse in my opinion is that he went ahead and bought the new Mac!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got 2 iPads .
One for work and one for home.
Apart from a PC in work they are all I ever use now.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Trouble is phones are not such a big screen! Us old codgers can’t see it very well???

I understand completely.

Having worked in places where an absolute minimum 24" screen is normal and sometimes two screens side by side, I often find phones frustrating -- even more so given the fact that they don't have a proper keyboard either. All that effort expended in learning to type properly is suddenly thrown out of the window (but luckily I had a cunning plan on that front and bought a bluetooth keyboard that connects with the phone for when some serious typing is needed).

Happily phone screens are getting bigger and clearer and website developers now seem to design with phones in mind, so it's getting a bit easier. But I still prefer my old big screens and full-size keyboards at the end of the day.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yeah, my father had a similar experience with a Macbook Pro. One of his most used website was based on Flash and asked for an updated Flash version. Turned out the updated Flash version required a more recent version of MacOS, but Apple would not provide it for his Macbook Pro that had become too old. Mind you it was 4 years old! So in order to keep access to that website, he had to buy a new Macbook Pro! Total madness. What's even worse in my opinion is that he went ahead and bought the new Mac!
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, I wouldn’t let Adobe Flas Player anywhere near it, and luckily, I don’t need to.
Since Safari 10 was introduced with macOS Sierra in 2015, Adobe's Flash Player has been disabled by default - previously you needed to disable it manually. Clearly Apple isn't prepared to leave customers exposed to Flash vulnerabilities. Apple's preference is that customers use HTML5, the newer, safer way of browsing the web.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, I wouldn’t let Adobe Flas Player anywhere near it, and luckily, I don’t need to.
Since Safari 10 was introduced with macOS Sierra in 2015, Adobe's Flash Player has been disabled by default - previously you needed to disable it manually. Clearly Apple isn't prepared to leave customers exposed to Flash vulnerabilities. Apple's preference is that customers use HTML5, the newer, safer way of browsing the web.

They sometimes have a problem with the notion of customer's preference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back