Are so called wild campers spoiling it for everyone ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Great pictures Dave, the sort of locations you keep in your head, write in down and its gone.
Next time you go its full or fenced off. :cry:

It bit like when your on the road in a truck, you get to know where to park, and tell no one. :winky:

I wonder what would have happened, if we and everyone else never had a yard, parked on Industrial estates for months on end. :Smile:
It would most likely make it impossible for other lorry drivers to stop nowhere other than a truck stop, and if I was paying £100 a week to park every night :Doh: I can tell you we would not have been in Haulage very long. :RollEyes:

Bob.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Great pictures Dave, the sort of locations you keep in your head, write in down and its gone.
Next time you go its full or fenced off. :cry:

It bit like when your on the road in a truck, you get to know where to park, and tell no one. :winky:

I wonder what would have happened, if we and everyone else never had a yard, parked on Industrial estates for months on end. :Smile:
It would most likely make it impossible for other lorry drivers to stop nowhere other than a truck stop, and if I was paying £100 a week to park every night :Doh: I can tell you we would not have been in Haulage very long. :RollEyes:

Bob.

I did use to post coordinates for wild camping places. BUT, for the very reasons you put, I stopped doing it a couple of years ago. Its a pity and a loss to the motorhome community. Many of my favourites have now had to be crossed off the list as they became over populated with campers setting up for months on the same pitch. I never really got on well with cassette toilets as they have to be emptied daily, much preferring a black tank so at least I have the opportunity to find a sewer to empty it down once a fortnight. Many of the wild camping spots around Europe would still be available if it was not for the cassette and the few people that think its OK to dump whatever they wish on the ground or in bushes. Many of my travelling companions were Dutch and they all used to post wilding spots on the internet, am sorry to say that has now stopped. There was nothing better than to set off from Roses and work your way down to Gibraltar over a 6 month period, using nothing but wildings on beaches. Sadly those days are gone and will never return. The freedom to roam has been taken away by the few selfish ones. The photo below was a man that had the freedom to roam all his life, but both he and that freedom are now sadly gone :Sad:.

Attachments

• tumblr_lutgcvcInS1r1bik9o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lutgcvcInS1r1bik9o1_1280.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 48

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I will NOT rise to ignorant posts written by prejudiced people who know so little about the topic...

I will NOT rise to ignorant posts written by prejudiced people who know so little about the topic...

I will not rise to wind up posts designed to wind people up...

Look mummy... I am a good boy... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It seems to me that all the contributors here have exactly the same view on what we should do and where to do it, but there seems to be disagreement, some of it seems nastier than I like?

Is it me?

Deleted User
It seems to me that, to say the least, opinion is divided on this topic. This is amongst a forum comprised mainly of motorhomers who would likely be sympathetic to 'wild camping' in some form.

This would lead me to the conclusion that a majority of the population would be against the type of freeloading under discussion.

This would lead me to the conclusion that 'freeloading tossers' (not my words) are at best anti social in that they act in a way disapproved of by the majority of the population and at worst criminals.:Smile:

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
The way we wild camp is 2 toilet cassettes then every 3/4 days or when I need water and to empty the grey most camp sites will let you empty your tanks and replenish your water and we all have a proper shower etc for between 5 to 10 £ I can live with that and if it's a nice site been known to stay the night everyone's happy job sorted

Deleted User

I will NOT rise to[HI] ignorant posts [/HI]written by[HI] prejudiced[/HI] people who know so little about the topic...

I will not rise to wind up posts designed to wind people up...

Look mummy... I am a good boy... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Ignorant and prejudiced because they have a different viewpoint !!!

I am neither ignorant nor prejudiced but ' I know what I know' and I have seen what I have seen :Smile:

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
It seems to me that all the contributors here have exactly the same view on what we should do and where to do it, but there seems to be disagreement, some of it seems nastier than I like?

Is it me?
Suppose a good rule on these might be...
How would it be phrased if we were all sat around the same barbie?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we have parked in car parks,leisure centers.supermarkets.and on beachfronts.with no trouble,the only prob was with a german m/h.we was parked in a car park overlooking a very nice beach.the german van left early in the morning.and left two big bags of rubbish against our van.a French m/homer and myselve was just to take them over to a large bin,when the police brought the german van back to the car park and made them take the bags over to the bins.the spainish police really made look silly.when we asked the police how they knew,they pointed to the nearby resurant it had cctv.and that the m/home had to pass the police station on the way out.if they had got away thy would have been sent a fine.so beware wildpark and have fun.but don't leave rubbish.:thumb::Eeek:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have parked in car parks,leisure centers.supermarkets.and on beachfronts.with no trouble,the only prob was with a german m/h.we was parked in a car park overlooking a very nice beach.the german van left early in the morning.and left two big bags of rubbish against our van.a French m/homer and myselve was just to take them over to a large bin,when the police brought the german van back to the car park and made them take the bags over to the bins.the spainish police really made look silly.when we asked the police how they knew,they pointed to the nearby resurant it had cctv.and that the m/home had to pass the police station on the way out.if they had got away thy would have been sent a fine.so beware wildpark and have fun.but don't leave rubbish.:thumb::Eeek:
If every motor home just cleaned up after there shelf and removed that little bit more away with them.
Wouldn't it be a lovely but unfortunately most se other les considerate individuals rubbish as not there problem.
it is every ones problem and they spoil it for others :Angry:
I have seen motorhomes with vans I could only dream of having living crap every where.
And the hippy turning up and when they levee nothing but there tracks. and any thing laying around removed or put in the bin .

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
When I was younger, wild camping was just that, backpacking a one/two man tent into wild inaccessible areas. immersing oneself in the wilderness and on leaving, making sure that no trace of our presence remained. That also included removing any despoilers rubbish. Respect for the countryside has never let me down.

Free camping is no better than freeloading.

Wild camping is a completely different matter.
Now in my eighth decade, my apprenticeship as a wild camper stands me in good stead. No longer able to backpack, my 4 wheeled tin tent has to suffice. I hope to be able to continue with my version of wild camping as long as the DVLA allows, happy to leave any place better and tidier than I found it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have been talking to a family member still in the farming community today, and this subject was discussed

not that many years ago, but it seems an a different age, travelers would visit farms with their caravan and work for the privilege of camping there. jobs included picking produce in season or general labour on the farm. certain people with skills like hedge laying were very popular visitors and the farmers looked forward to the autumn when they knew that these people might visit. they often payed them and provided produce like fresh eggs and bacon too

obviously machinery has replaced labour in many cases but many farmers are quite happy to still honour the old arrangements. it just seems that the generation that used to be happy to travel in their old van round the various farms have now died off. wouldn't it be nice to revive the old practices but with a modern twist. i know for a fact it still happens in south wales

obviously many here are well past being fit for manual labour, but how many wild campers out there would be willing to offer something in return. some of the most beautiful views and areas of interest are out in the countryside, unspoilt by urban sprawl. but people don't get the advantage of enjoying it without asking the landowner. or otherwise get moved off by an angry farmer if you just pitch up in their field for the night. common manners cost nothing and could gain you a lot in return

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you not think CL's and CS's have now filled this gap, asking a farmer to let you stay for a few £'s is a bit of a smack in the face of the neighbour who has invested in his site, with widened entrance, taps, insurance etc

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When I was younger, wild camping was just that, backpacking a one/two man tent into wild inaccessible areas. immersing oneself in the wilderness and on leaving, making sure that no trace of our presence remained. That also included removing any despoilers rubbish. Respect for the countryside has never let me down.

Free camping is no better than freeloading.

Wild camping is a completely different matter.
Now in my eighth decade, my apprenticeship as a wild camper stands me in good stead. No longer able to backpack, my 4 wheeled tin tent has to suffice. I hope to be able to continue with my version of wild camping as long as the DVLA allows, happy to leave any place better and tidier than I found it.
you have expressed it in a way a couldnot well done every thing I have been tying to say thank you:thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
The problem with CSs & CLs is that a lot of them aspire to be proper sites and install facilities - a small washroom and EHUs - and then charge nearly as much as commercial sites do. Which is fine if that is what you want and happy to pay for it. Also, the more basic ones that would appeal to "wild campers" are probably on grass which is lovely in summer but not so great in wetter months.

I think that is the nub of the problem - having paid lots of money to buy a motorhome with all its own facilities, folk tend to think why should they pay for sites with things they don't need?

Maybe some campsites could introduce a lower price tier for just parking up for the night, emptying the loo and taking on water - not having an EHU and not using the toilet and showers?

Some sites even charge more for a motorhome than they do for a caravan, awning & car or large tent & car - why? Most charge for two adults even if there is only one, and don't get me started on ones that charge for my dog when he spends all day lounging in the van or being walked off site. :Angry:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Campsite use by Motorhomes in Spain

In the Cost News this week

In January 2014. 98.7% of caravan site users in Benidorm were from other countries with only 1.3% Spanish users.

Visitors from the UK made up the largest occupation rate 73.4% followed by the Dutch 11.4% Belgians 5.1% Germans 2.8% and the French 1.4%.

In the first two weeks of February the occupation rate has gone up to 80.8%.

This does not surprise us as most of the vans you see wilding in Spain are German, Dutch, French and Belgian in that order. There are a few Swiss, Scandinavian and British but these are far fewer.

We have found the Germans to be the worst for overstaying and marking out pitches for themselves while wild parking.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
my rant and anger is directed to the masses of people who see it as their absolute right to park en masse wherever they go and put little if anything into the community they are abusing.

I totally agree. People who do this are no better than so called "travellers" in my book.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When we park we try to get as far away from other vans as possible. However we have found that continental motorhomers will then come and park a few feet away from you, even where there is masses of room to park.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Just watched this video posted on a Spanish site complaining about "foreign" wild campers in Tavernes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6qZ0EgnPno&feature=youtu.be"]Tavernes - YouTube[/ame]

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Momo, that looks like hell on earth to me. I have to ask why people would want to stay more than one night (and that as an emergency) in such a place if there is an alternative?

Not for me, but obviously it does appeal to quite a few others.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just watched this video posted on a Spanish site complaining about "foreign" wild campers in Tavernes:

Tavernes - YouTube

That's my vision of hell and no better than a Itinerant camp in my opinion certainly not wild camping as we know it. Vans there worth tens of thousands but refuse to contribute to the local economy. You can understand the locals getting fed up.
Would you want it outside your house. ????

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Its always the few who let down the many.
Whether its dropping litter on the street.......or leaving a mess after wild camping...some people just don't care.

I tend to side with live and let live...but there are responsibilities that go with
certain freedoms.....and some people are going to let the side down.

What can you do ?...........In the main lawmakers legislate against the many to make sure they sweep up the few.

barry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you can really feel for the locals.it looks like a Itinerant camp.:Blush::Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Tavernes - YouTube
exactly the problem i am talking about. hundreds of vans all freeloading and not contributing to the area they are leaching off

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

freeloading tossers.. :Doh:

the council should give them 24 hrs notice to leave then call in the army and let them practice with a flame thrower..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The problem with CSs & CLs is that a lot of them aspire to be proper sites and install facilities - a small washroom and EHUs - and then charge nearly as much as commercial sites do. Which is fine if that is what you want and happy to pay for it. Also, the more basic ones that would appeal to "wild campers" are probably on grass which is lovely in summer but not so great in wetter months.
Surely CSs/CLs merely respond to overall demand. They will soon fail if they do not.

I think that is the nub of the problem - having paid lots of money to buy a motorhome with all its own facilities, folk tend to think why should they pay for sites with things they don't need?
All of us have the option of choosing a site with more or fewer facilities but, having done so, have to accept that there is a corresponding fee whether we use the facilities or not. Last year we stayed at The Ketch in Worcester. EHU included which we used only for boiling a kettle as the van is gas oriented. We could have used the showers but preferred to use our own in the van. The price was worth it for the location though.

Maybe some campsites could introduce a lower price tier for just parking up for the night, emptying the loo and taking on water - not having an EHU and not using the toilet and showers?
But why should they? They are commercial businesses just like any other and the only reason they should change their product range is that they are not selling enough of the current products.

Some sites even charge more for a motorhome than they do for a caravan, awning & car or large tent & car - why? Most charge for two adults even if there is only one, and don't get me started on ones that charge for my dog when he spends all day lounging in the van or being walked off site. :Angry:
As said often enough on other threads, if sites charge too much they will fail but if they can sell what they offer at the price they want they will succeed. None of us are forced to use any particular site any more than we are forced to go to any particular supermarket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back