Are SMC Newark bad or am I being unreasonable? (1 Viewer)

Boomkat

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
I'm brand new to the motorhome scene so my partner and I went to the NEC show last year - AMAZING! We were hooked. We saw an amzing Pilote that exceeded all our expectations. The stand was the SMC Newark stand and having spoken to the salesman (who was really helpful), we decided to order our Pilote there and then. We were told that we could expect delivery in January. Having heard absolutely nothing since the show, I rang them in January and they said that actually it would be early March - harrumph. Having heard nothing again, in early March I was told mid March for delivery to the UK and a week or so after I could collect. By mid-March I had not heard anything so rang again and was told some time in the next couple of days. I rang again and was told they have one but they dont know if its mine. I rang again and I'm still waiting a call back. I have booked onto a site for the BH weekend with friends, which I'm guessing means I'm going to have to cancel. The staff have on the whole been really nice and friendly, but utterly inefactual. I have had my expectations so fundamentally mismanaged that I don't know whether this is normal for them / the industry or what! :cry: or :mad: If this is how they are pre-sale, then I'm really worried about what happens post sale. HELP!

OP
OP
Boomkat

Boomkat

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Honestly - I'm so annoyed with it all. I would ask for a refund, but I really want the mh! Grrrrrrrr.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Honestly - I'm so annoyed with it all. I would ask for a refund, but I really want the mh! Grrrrrrrr.
Then get a refund on the grounds of a broken verbal contract, taking then to the county court if necessary, and go elsewhere.

If more buyers would take this stand the quicker the industry would change.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It really takes the shine off what should be a wonderful experience.

Had the same with a new car and have never bought new since - unless it is there on the forecourt waiting to be driven away.

Sorry to hear of your experience though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No of course you're not being unreasonable, whether it's "industry norm" or not.
Fingers crossed for you that the one they've got in is yours. I wouldn't wait for them to ring back - get on to them every 15 minutes, that's enough time for them to work it out. Tell them that if it's not, you want a [free] courtesy vehicle for the time you've booked away. It may work, it may not. Depends on what you had in writing, or if you told them you needed it for BH (why would you, that long ago???)
Here's hoping!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am not overly surprised, but I must say had I been you I would have been on their case a lot more after they let me down once

Start making more of a nuisance of yourself, they will always deal with the loudest first :)

welcome to the forum by the way, shame to start with a moan, but that is exactly what I did, it worked out for us (y)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't think you are being unreasonable .. but the delay in delivery from Pilote can't really be laid at the door SMC...

where they are at fault is not keeping you fully informed..

OP
OP
Boomkat

Boomkat

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
I just rang them back and they have now said they dont know whether it has even been built yet. And i had to ASK for an apology!!! It's like dealing with the local council over a blocked drain!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can only speak from personal experience. I purchased my van from them 2 years ago and they have always been very helpful indeed. It sounds like a lack of communication to me.

Good luck anyway and try to see past this............ a whole new world of adventures await you :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think you are being unreasonable .. but the delay in delivery from Pilote can't really be laid at the door SMC...

where they are at fault is not keeping you fully informed..
Yes it is Jim.... They are the seller's, not the factory.

There should have been a confirmed delivery date in the contract and they can't deliver on time, or anywhere near it.
Agreed they have been let down by the factory, or so they will have you believe, but that is not the buyers problem.

If they can make a sale by distorting the true delivery date, they will.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have had dealings with SMC and found them to be honorable people. If you feel you are not getting the attention you deserve demand to speak with Alistair who is the sales Director I believe and let him know of your frustrations, he will move mountains to satisfy a customer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes it is Jim.... They are the seller's, not the factory.

There should have been a confirmed delivery date in the contract and they can't deliver on time, or anywhere near it.
Agreed they have been let down by the factory, or so they will have you believe, but that is not the buyers problem.

If they can make a sale by distorting the true delivery date, they will.

A lot of assumptions here John.. you are accusing SMC of using sharp sales practice.. .. where is the proof ?

As I said.. on what we know of the facts, the only thing SMC are guilty of is poor communication with the buyer..

OP
OP
Boomkat

Boomkat

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Good advice - thanks to you all. I have and can have no issue with Pilote as I am not buying it from them. In the same way as when my new car was delayed by several weeks, I was not annoyed with BMW when the dealer called me immediately and then apologised profusely and reset my expectations. I have an issue with the fact that my expectations have not been managed by SMC. I respect the fact that they cant magic one up out of thin air, but they could at least be more honest. If they kept in touch and said that they did not know, that would be a much better position than me feeling like I'm harassing them about it...

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, sorry that your having problems but you really do need to speak to someone high up and make a nuisance of yourself. I always find that saying "do I have to remind you that I am the customers" works. Hope you get it sorted soon. (y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Probably the third or fourth time I've posted this on an SMC thread but I'm still awaiting a call from them since visiting the showroom after the NEC last October. (n)

OP
OP
Boomkat

Boomkat

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Well, we may have reached a conclusion...

I spoke to Alastair the Sales Director and he was really helpful. We went over the history and he was apologetic about the situation. Our new home has landed and it looks like we will get it this weekend! So it looks like we will be going to the ball after all! Frustration....OVER! :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well, we may have reached a conclusion...

I spoke to Alastair the Sales Director and he was really helpful. We went over the history and he was apologetic about the situation. Our new home has landed and it looks like we will get it this weekend! So it looks like we will be going to the ball after all! Frustration....OVER! :)

glad you are sorted, don't want to spoil the new found hope, but if you booked away for the BH weekend, that is this Friday, so you may still not make the ball, hopefully you meant Mayday

have fun when you get it, hopefully you will now sign up as a full member and keep us informed (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A lot of assumptions here John.. you are accusing SMC of using sharp sales practice.. .. where is the proof ?

As I said.. on what we know of the facts, the only thing SMC are guilty of is poor communication with the buyer..

No proof Jim....just me being cynical

They gave the buyer a date of january this year.....then early march, then middle march, now they dont know if its theres or another customers.
that is not poor communication...that is very poor business practice.
they MUST have known they couldnt deliver in january and they MUST know if theres someone higher up the waiting list.

Seems to be a NEWARK thing....Brownhills are there as well and their service is second to rubbish.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Having bought a new motorhome from SMC, I have to say that my experience with them has been excellent. SMC is a superb dealer, very honest, and helpful. We have now purchased 8 new motorhomes over past years and I would say that SMC is the best dealer that we have ever purchased from or had dealings with. In my experience nothing has been too much trouble for them and I would honestly recommend SMC to anyone.

Boomkat, rest assured, I am absolutely confident that your aftersales experience will meet your expectations. In my honest opinion, SMC are second to none!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our new home has landed and it looks like we will get it this weekend! So it looks like we will be going to the ball after all! Frustration....OVER! :)

Better a bit later a fully PDIed. Don't get caught with "well you rushed us".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Industry norm, better get used to it.
Not in our experience with Hymer both the ones we have order we have been given a confirmation with delivery date & serial number of the van and both times they have been at the dealers a week or two before the due date.

Last edited:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
that should be 10% off the next one then ludo

I only speak as I find Berni. I have no connection with SMC, other than having purchased a new motorhome from them but for us, they have been brilliant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back