Are my batteries past it ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
After two nights without hook up my leisure batteries are showing 11.8 volt.
Despite 2 hour drive yesterday and solar, use of fan and tv seems to have been more than was replaced.
I'll try an get hook up today but are they likely to be goosed ?
Probably 5+ years old.
I think I know the answer......

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds like they might on their last legs. How many batteries do you have, what capacity are they?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sounds as though replacement is called for, however charging leisure batteries by driving a couple of hours doesn't do much unless you have a b2b charger or similar. Solar should be doing well at the moment though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's surprising how many people have flooded lead acid batteries and never check the electrolyte levels, not saying it is this but worth a check.

Martin

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Would help if the manufacturers made it easier to check the batteries, like having them slide out on a draw. Not having to disconnect them and lift them out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would help if the manufacturers made it easier to check the batteries, like having them slide out on a draw. Not having to disconnect them and lift them out.
... or in our case remove the flipping driver's seat!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As I have found twice now, one duff battery will make them all appear to fail. If you can disconnect them from each other and check individual voltages

We went round France in Feb last year on one battery and no sites, really wonder sometimes why we fit multiple batteries or maybe I am just unlucky

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I had one battery fail and the other was down to 9.5 volts but has charged up ok to 12.6volts

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
As there is a battery thread going, can I ask a question - sort of related.
Sealed batteries seem to have a vent. That would suggest they are not sealed. Does this mean they lose liquid over time and does connecting them to an EHU when the van is standing effect the rate at which liquid is lost? Can you get in and replace water?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Batteries with a vent are maintenance free in other words if they do loose water they can not be topped up, they work by recombining any gases etc back to the electrolyte so under normal circumstances they behave fine and should be OK standing on EHU with a decent charger, the vent tube will only come into play if the battery has a fault and gasses.

Martin

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Thanks, another question answered.(y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
As I have found twice now, one duff battery will make them all appear to fail. If you can disconnect them from each other and check individual voltages

We went round France in Feb last year on one battery and no sites, really wonder sometimes why we fit multiple batteries or maybe I am just unlucky
We've always managed perfectly well with 1 x 100ah battery. At one point we had a portable compressor fridge too. Coupled with a 150w panel you've got to be going some to need extra batteries (not that there's anything wrong with multiple batteries, I don't want to start something ;) :))

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

There's one under each can seat, never seen the light of day since I got the van 3.5 years ago. I think they are 90 Ah gel. Probably time I figured out how to remove the seats and investigate !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If they're gel I understand there's no maintenance possible.

Even if you proved only one battery was at fault, if they're over 5 years old I would still change them both. That way you only do the job once.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
... or in our case remove the flipping driver's seat!
Should have bought Trojan batteries as they actually do a kit that automatically tops up the batteries believe it or not (y)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
There's one under each can seat, never seen the light of day since I got the van 3.5 years ago. I think they are 90 Ah gel. Probably time I figured out how to remove the seats and investigate !
We normally expect to see the leisure batteries starting to deteriorate after year 2 and by 3 years old they are toast (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they are that difficult to get at I would hope that they are sealed.

Martin
Not sure about the new ones put in by the dealer as they were lead-acid which our charger would have fried in no time so we had new gels put in that the dealer paid for as it was their fault for not doing it properly in the first place! (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As it's a Hymer and from your avatar an older one so they will probably be 80a/h. gels . Treated well gels normally last 6 to 10 years and require no maintenance.
If it's a later Hymer and has AGM's or they have been changed for AGM's anything past18 months and you are doing well

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@Lenny HB I've removed seat front cover and photographed them, they seem to be 90ah gels and they died completely overnight.
Were in ghent at moment and have tunnel booked for Friday. Planned a few days travelling coast from Ostend finishing at gravelines. I'll have to see if we can limp along or bring forward tunnel.
I'm hoping when sun rises solar will give enough to resurect them, or I suppose we could try and book onto a site.
Any suggestions for a seller for replacement
Thanks
Chris

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you follow @DavidG58 s advice and separate the batteries you should find that only one has gone down and the other on is good enough to get you home, the better on should show a slightly higher voltage when separated but should charge up OK.

Martin

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all, it looks like my batteries may be ok after all.
They died after three nights without any hook up and I had presumed they would be recharged by a couple of hours driving and solar but apparently not.
After a good charge they actually show a better resting rate now than they did before ! After a night of TV, lights, pump etc they would usually sit around 12.5v. But after being drained to the point where the system cut off they now rest about 12.9v. after same use.
So I'm left thinking I need to up the charging to stop this happening again.
Would a b2b be a solution, or a bigger solar ?
I have a ELB 99, 2x 90ah gel batteries and I think the solar is about 80watt.
Thanks
Edit, I'm home now so will take them out and test separately as recommend.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi all, it looks like my batteries may be ok after all.
They died after three nights without any hook up and I had presumed they would be recharged by a couple of hours driving and solar but apparently not.
About 12 - 15 hours should get them fairly well charged.

So I'm left thinking I need to up the charging to stop this happening again.
Would a b2b be a solution, or a bigger solar ?
I have a ELB 99, 2x 90ah gel batteries and I think the solar is about 80watt.
Thanks
Edit, I'm home now so will take them out and test separately as recommend.

I expect they are 80 a/h Gels not 90.
Unless you are planning to do a lot of off grid camping in the winter the B2B is probably not essential as Hymer's use decent size wiring and you get a fairly good charge rate. Normally starts off at at 20-25 amps then once the battery voltage starts to come up it drops to 10-12 amps. A B2B will give you a charge rate 35 - 50 amps initially then it will drop to 17-20 amps. You would still need to drive for quite a few hours to get the benifit.

If not doing much driving between stops more solar say 300+ watts and a good quality MPPT regulator like the Votronic or Victron, would be the way to go.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
B2B was my first choice after a second leisure battery - it "fools" the alternator into putting out a full charge, up to 50 amps depending on model, and I can get a full charge from 50% depleted in an hour of driving (not that I ever let them get that low, the solar sees to that). Although not cheap they put an end to worrying about battery use, especially if you can't get hookup when you park up with the added advantage that they also "condition" the batteries so they theoretically last longer.

Also a saving of not needing a hookup if it's extra in site fees.

To finish it all off I fitted a Battery Master which keeps the engine battery topped up, from the leisure battery when it's fully charged. Never had a flat battery since.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You're basically using more power than you're currently producing so up the solar, fit an MPPT regulator, but be as bit more 'aware' of your usage so you don't get into the habit of leaving stuff turned on for the sake of it, even on standby equipment can use quite a bit of power. In winter you're not likely to replace the amount of power you use with solar unless you are in some very sunny climes. Also don't get overly 'excited' about what the solar is producing, instead keep an eye on the state of charge of your batteries as it's that which will determine what you can realistically use ... it's nice to know that the solar is putting in a good charge (or not!) but it doesn't tell you what's in the 'energy bank' which is what's actually usable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back