Are motorhomes becoming too complicated? (1 Viewer)

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Think is most of it is available retro fit if you want it on an older MH....just look down techno's down list - lots of people with older vans will pick from that list what they want and add it.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Think is most of it is available retro fit if you want it on an older MH....just look down techno's down list - lots of people with older vans will pick from that list what they want and add it.
Which means what you have are simpler vans that still have mod cons. Nothing worse than your fridge taking out your heating etc. The thing I see that makes for complicity is the central control taking over from separate units for each purpose. I think in the event of an appliance breakdown it is better for that appliance to be standalone.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
On my van, missing from @Techno 's list :

satellite, oven, microwave, cooling, solar, battery to battery, alarm, self leveling..... I am considering fitting solar but I'd only really need it if I (could/want to) fit the other 'extras', and my van only weighs 3 tons so the 2.5 non-turbo diesel is plenty.

I go away for a change, not to take 'home' with me, less a 'Motorhome', more as the French call them - a 'Camping Car'............. I don't rough it and I like my beer and red wine at room temperature - and I can cook all my food on the hob, usually in one pan(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My 1991 van has a gas fire, hot water, cooker, fridge, toilet, shower and a base vehicle that has a diesel engine (no turbo or electronics), manual windows, mirrors, no central locking.........and everything works............ is less more?............ less to go wrong
Looks like you are spoiling yourself having power steering......(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My own view is that power steering electric windows A/C and cruise control are an absolute must on whatever we drive.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
My own view is that power steering electric windows A/C and cruise control are an absolute must on whatever we drive.

Power steering yes, aircon - cab aircon maybe abroad, winding down the windows (manually of course) works for me, cruise control - had it on many vehicles including my current car (PT Cruiser:Eeek:) never use it - too much traffic - total PIA

::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Power steering yes, aircon - cab aircon maybe abroad, winding down the windows (manually of course) works for me, cruise control - had it on many vehicles including my current car (PT Cruiser:Eeek:) never use it - too much traffic - total PIA

::bigsmile:
Perhaps I should have said "power steering with steering wheel controls" my thumb is always on the P/S button so I tend to use it all the time. Best thing since sliced bread but each to their own...;)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Perhaps I should have said "power steering with steering wheel controls" my thumb is always on the P/S button so I tend to use it all the time. Best thing since sliced bread but each to their own...;)

I have steering wheel controls, it turns !...... and I don't eat sliced bread;)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think what this thread boils down to is yes they are too complicated for you.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I think what this thread boils down to is yes they are too complicated for you.

Not really, I do drive new vehicles, it seems it's getting too much trouble/effort to reach for something, they'd rather press a button or leave a circuit board to light a fire (for instance), or wind a window, move a mirror (that probably only needs moving once)........

My car was 'not running right', no faults on the 'codes'.... a 'proper mechanic' checked the spark plugs.............a bit difficult to get to....... hadn't been changed for years by the looks..... changed them - result car runs better and uses less fuel:)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
An inventor said to me, “find something which does not need a solution or works perfectly well and then invent something to replace it which does the same job” I said like what, he replied we all had window winders in our cars which worked perfectly well, but someone invented the electric window!
Best Wishes Tony
if you need to ask directions of someone on the kerb electric windows are a blessingh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back