Are ebikes worth having? (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have 2 e bikes, one with the Bosch motor and I double lock them whenever I leave them. The Bosch one has s built in tracker and if it moves 2 foot it rings you with a map of where it is and a map of all previous journeys

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
In my opinion yes without a doubt
We have 2 full suspension haibikes with batteries built into the frame and cannot be seen
We went on a 35 mile ride a few weeks back which incorporated the long mynd in Shropshire and we got back to the motorhome absolutely knackered. The terrain was punishing hill after hill after hill there is no way you would do the ride we did on an ordinary bike inless you are some sort of superstar which we are not
Our ebikes get us to places we would only dream of getting to without them we rode for miles and miles into the mountains in Scotland never could I get to those places without our ebikes
Take this picture for example we started off at the loch in the back ground we rode for 9 miles constantly uphill to get here it was harder coming down had to stop twice as breaks were getting very warm
View attachment 318048
Inspirational post. We’ve always had hybrid bikes. What made you get mountain bikes, do you do more trail work?
Also, with those built in batteries that can’t be removed, how easy is it to charge the bikes up when you’re away in the van? A long lead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We love our Cube electric bikes purchased last year. Huge range with the big Bosch batteries and not a problem with weight. I always remove the batteries when they are on the rear rack. The only negatives are the initial cost and keeping them safe. We sometimes alternate with our fold up Bromptons which can be stored away more easily.
Never thought of that. Bromptons for City trips and mountain bikes for leisure trips. :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Our situation (in common with many)was that my wife was finding cycling increasingly strenuous, which meant that she was reluctant to do it. We bought her an electric bike and I still have the pedalled variety and its nicely balanced us up ( luckily she doesnt like going too fast) so I now get a decent ride and we both get exercise.

I manage to charge the battery on the inverter easily enough.
What type did you go for? Did do you get them one of the Shrewsbury cycle shops, like Mellors. In the past we’ve alwas got our bikes from there. They set them up well.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have 2 e bikes, one with the Bosch motor and I double lock them whenever I leave them. The Bosch one has s built in tracker and if it moves 2 foot it rings you with a map of where it is and a map of all previous journeys
What make is that with the built in tracker? Vanmooth?

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Inspirational post. We’ve always had hybrid bikes. What made you get mountain bikes, do you do more trail work?
Also, with those built in batteries that can’t be removed, how easy is it to charge the bikes up when you’re away in the van? A long lead?

We went for full suspension as we enjoy riding on bridleways which take you deep into the countryside and some can be a bit rough plus if riding trails that are built from stone's like railway ballast it glides over them also enjoy canal towpaths and some are just bumpy grass you can lock both front and rear suspension if you wish but never found the need
Regards the batteries they can be removed just take the lower part of the frame off and unlock with a key but the batteries are not on show like other bikes
Also removed the inner tubes and run tyre seal in the tyres no more punctures removed 3 thorns last time out holes sealed up instantly

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How about buying this - purely as a trial?
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/as-mk3-electrobike-36v.200934/

Yes, it's not the style of bike you'd probably choose - but you'd discover if you liked the electric assist.
...and at that price, better than risking £1k or more to discover you don't like e-bikes

+

I bet you'd get your money back if/when you decided to sell on.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a friend who sells ebikes I don't know anything about them but may be of interest to some on here as they are fold up ones
Www.e-gobike.co.uk

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
My problem now is the wife wants a bike but can't actually ride one, she has tried and had lessons but having fell off constantly and injured herself once already we are now looking at the E Trikes anyone had one any advice on them

Steve Moonraker

Free Member
Feb 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2014
E bikes are absolutely worth it. We were (and so some extent, still are) conventional bike riders, but now that those nasty hills are no longer viewed with trepidation by my wife we have a much greater choice of camping locations and trips out from site are so much easier. Have a look at some of the research; we found that in actual practice E bike riders got just as much, or even more, exercise than non- assisted because on average they went further, faster and higher! Remember, they only assist, if you don't pedal neither to they. Also you can choose the level of assistance, including non at all if you want to be a martyr!
Admittedly they are heavier and you need a specific bike rack fitted to your tow bar. But this also makes lifting them on much easier as it is lower and saves the stress of weight on the back doors of our van conversion.
Another thing to watch is insurance. Many companies won't insure E bikes unless they're securely locked to an immovable object, and often don't accept the van as being immovable. However I think it would be a difficult task getting them off the van as we lock the bikes to the rack and the rack to the tow bar. Also remove the battery and computer as the bikes are worth little without these. A cover would also be useful, both to protect the bikes from road dust and to make it less obvious that expensive bikes are underneath. At home we have sunk a metal fixing into concrete to lock our bikes to, and when out and about you can always find a bike rack or other 'immovable' object.

Steve Moonraker

Free Member
Feb 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2014
Just another thought, we did a lot of research before buying, so if you want our exact specification, and why we choose it, please let us know. Otherwise we won't bore everyone with the nitty-gritty.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Yvonne and I are keen cyclists and have cycled all over Europe.
We go to the Mont Ventoux region every year.
However this year we found that we could not ride our normal rides and cols due to tiredness, so we thought ebikes might be good for us! We are looking at Canondale road ebikes which weigh around 16kg each with battery off.
Has anyone mounted two bikes of around 33kg on the back of their Motorhome?

Cheers

Bob

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior

Cheers

Bob

We used to have ours on the back of our rapido but didn't like it, was constantly worried about them ripping out the back wall
Although the bike rack may be designed for say 60kg keeping it attached to the back wall is in my opinion another thing
I can only imagine the mess it would make if the rack pulled out of its fixings
We now have ours securely tucked away in the garage of our new motorhome

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just another thought, we did a lot of research before buying, so if you want our exact specification, and why we choose it, please let us know. Otherwise we won't bore everyone with the nitty-gritty.
Would be very interested Steve :)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We used to have ours on the back of our rapido but didn't like it, was constantly worried about them ripping out the back wall
Although the bike rack may be designed for say 60kg keeping it attached to the back wall is in my opinion another thing
I can only imagine the mess it would make if the rack pulled out of its fixings
We now have ours securely tucked away in the garage of our new motorhome
I wasn’t worried about 40kgs on a 60kgs rated bike rack . . . . until I read your post. :cool: :D2

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My problem now is the wife wants a bike but can't actually ride one, she has tried and had lessons but having fell off constantly and injured herself once already we are now looking at the E Trikes anyone had one any advice on them
Ann used to fall off a lot, she's had the chain off while riding (ouch) , bag in the front wheel at St ives, front basket in the front wheel at ingoldmels which resulted in a trip over the handlebars (double ouch). Then in Benidorm she just lost all confidence in traffic and wouldn't keep up.
She now loves the scooter ??

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
At the moment i use a large rucksac but that is work in progress to find what suits best.
Also could i just add that if you are thinking of buying one the best thing is to have the sprocket powered and not the wheels particularly the front one. It gives more balance to the bike with the motor being in the middle.
Checked this out, but there’s a few cube acid models, which one did you get and what weight is it, minus the battery, please.

Nov 9, 2016
France or Spain!
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo 687t
Exp
Since 2015
However this year we found that we could not ride our normal rides and cols due to tiredness, so we thought ebikes might be good for us! We are looking at Canondale road ebikes which weigh around 16kg each with battery off.

Cheers

Bob
I'd recommend having a look at the Ribble and Orbea road e-bikes too. My carbon Orbea weighs just 11kg and rides just like a normal road bike when I don't have the battery on. A number of MH friends have bought similar bikes after seeing mine.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I wasn’t worried about 40kgs on a 60kgs rated bike rack . . . . until I read your post. :cool: :D2

It's just something that was always on my mind especially with the condition of our roads imagine the force increase as you bounce, me personally if I didn't have a garage I would fit a towbar and buy a decent towbar mounted ebike rack much cheaper than fixing a huge hole in the back of your motorhome

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We
What type did you go for? Did do you get them one of the Shrewsbury cycle shops, like Mellors. In the past we’ve alwas got our bikes from there. They set them up well.
We looked at Mellors ( we ve bought a few bikes from them) but didnt buy, I can't remember why not but possibly werent willing to pay that much.

We ended up buying one of these from the people who are at the motorhome shows largely because they gave us free range to try it as much as we wanted and while we were trying it people were coming up to us and saying how good the service and backup is etc.

Its cheap and reliable absolutely fine and is serving us well but it is quite heavy and clunky.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Cheers

Bob
I have two conventional bikes on the back that weigh that and I need a step to lift them on..Getting no younger?BUSBY.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Yes we have one romany . What would you like to know?
This is the one we have
5AA7AE37-CA14-4332-99B5-E11B38457D3C.jpeg
9440CBA0-F9CF-4799-A28D-544255CAD43F.jpeg

It folds easily and fits easily into the Motorhome garage. The battery lasts well. The only warning is that it is not like a bike to ride, in that you cannot lean it over on bends, but you have to lean. You get used to it and once you have it feels very much more stable than a bike.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
This is the one we have
View attachment 318235View attachment 318238
It folds easily and fits easily into the Motorhome garage. The battery lasts well. The only warning is that it is not like a bike to ride, in that you cannot lean it over on bends, but you have to lean. You get used to it and once you have it feels very much more stable than a bike.
Thanks Chris I think you've covered most of want I wanted to know I think I will probably hire one first just to make sure the wife can do it or more importantly likes it (y)

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Checked this out, but there’s a few cube acid models, which one did you get and what weight is it, minus the battery, please.
Hi mine is a Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 29-2019. With battery 21.5 KG and without I would guess at 18 ish. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi mine is a Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 29-2019. With battery 21.5 KG and without I would guess at 18 ish. Hope this helps.
Fantastic. Is yours the grey and white?

18kg without the battery would be perfect, but which frame size would that be for? I’d need the 21”, probably Carole the 19”.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Yes its a 21" that I have. its a great bit of kit. You will not be disappointed

Join us or log in to post a reply.