Are CC sites always like this? (1 Viewer)

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
the 6m/20ft rule is very important if you have ever seen a caravan go up in flames in 2 minutes

Question I've always had. Why does this rule not seem to apply to the thousands of mobile homes lined up at Skeggie etc? They just seem to have room to park a car between them!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the 6m/20ft rule is very important if you have ever seen a caravan go up in flames in 2 minutes

Question I've always had. Why does this rule not seem to apply to the thousands of mobile homes lined up at Skeggie etc? They just seem to have room to park a car between them!

Also if it's that vital and obvious why does it not apply anywhere else in Europe? Is this, oh so important, rule actually used anywhere else in the world?

Why does it not apply to awnings? Surely a canvas or fabric tent is far more likely to catch fire than a solid bodied vehicle?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Doesn't worry me at all about how the site is set up as I am usually out and about sightseeing and only really sleep in the moho and use the usual superb facilities.Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: LAM

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
CC sites I have been on are want they are and I use them as and when I need, could they be better? for me would make little difference as I am a one night stopper but the comment 'soulless' is about right.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Normanshurst Court in Battle, Sussex is very pleasant

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have joined the CC and this weekend stayed for the first time on one of their sites. It was imaculate but totally soulless. All the vans were parked inline, a regulation distance from the next. No hedges divided the pitches and the site was totally without character.
Are CC sites aways like this?

The clue is in the name "Caravan Club":LOL:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Stayed on a few when we were members, a few are nice, most seemed to be like those you mentioned.
Really don't care what the showers and toilets are like as I never use them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
CC.. was a member for a little while ( as in months ! ) and swore I would never have anything to do with the stuck up bunch again !
Disliked the few sites we tried ( as mentioned soulless AND damned expensive ) and disliked every single employee we had the misfortune to have to interact with

While I am 100% sure there are some lovely folk who work for CC, we never found a single one.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
No, no, no and no again!

Get yourself to the CC site at Kendal. In the grounds of an old gunpowder factory, the pitches are in small enclosures on different levels.

CC Chirk is lovely and arranged in 3 circular tiers.

I'll think of some more beauties in a bit :)

Some commercial sites and CCC sites are as soulless as a gravel carpark.

Certainly agree with you on Kendal (low park wood) its a cracking site. Toilets smart & clean, site is interesting & its worth Googling the story of the explosives works.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Recently stayed on CC site at Whitewater at Stockton on Tees. Site was immaculate, wardens were very friendly and helpful.
People around us were friendly and talkative.
Showers and toilet faclities were superb.
Overall a great stay
I can see that site from my office window. I'm pretty certain I'll never actually stay there!

We've just booked up Chatsworth CC and Ashbourne CCC sites for October, can't believe the cost!

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for New England Bay - very nice site right on the beach. Another good one at Garlieston along side the harbour. Both very clean, tidy and peaceful.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
No not all CC sites are equal, New England Bay CC site is very informal, decent size pitches as well, this is one pitch up at the back and was so quiet once the windbreak was up you feel as you are the only people there.

IMG_0250%20Large.jpg

IMG_0239%20Large_1.jpg

IMG_0240%20Large.jpg

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, We belong to both CC & CCC, avoid 'civilised' i.e. Club sites like the plague as much too regimented for us. The CLs & CSs are great though and usually quiet. We have a daughter who has a learning disability & no speech so she can be a little noisy at times so that we pitch a little way from other units. This has never been a problem though, with either site owners or other units, and she gets spoilt wherever we go. We are not bothered about facilities but if you want friendly but non intrusive neighbours I can recommend CLs & CSs every time

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I have been a member for gears but don't know why! The wardens or should be warders are all educated in the filter charm school.

They HATE all motorhomes with a vengeance and show favouritism to tuggers.

So e years ago I pulled into a cc site in the Cotswold, I had booked, and was sent to my pitch, no choice offered! It was a little triangle of land that I just fitted onto. I was more tolerant in those days, kids and large dog in tow! I set up and five minutes later Hitler's assistant turned up and "asked" we to pull forward "a foot"!

I still don't know why I did it, but I loaded everything g back in, run off the levelling blocks and moved 12 inches forward! If it happened know I would be banned from all CC sites!

I have been at a site, arrived late having booked but been held up in traffic. Even at 8:30 the Hitler would not let me enter. I was told to park in the late arrivals area, the car park! I was still charged. However half an hour later a tugger arrived and was driving into a pitch in full view of the warder! I wandered over and said " if he drops his corner steadies, I will report him and you to head office" the Hitler went up to him and told him to move to the late arrivals area! If I had not intervened he would have been allowed to pitch up!

I hate all caravan club staff with a vengeance! They do not help their own cases!

Sorry but that is my experience in over 25 years!!!!! It hasn't changed much now!!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you really think that all Aires are like car parks you havn't been around much. There are many which are brilliant ones. In nice locations

I didn't say that I was disappointed with them; we've used about a dozen around France and have been very happy. They have, however, all been carparks which has been fine for us.

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
Oh what to do? We're complete newbies and can't decide whether to join or which to join! I've read a lot but still not sure. It's such early days for us but I think we will want sites we can stay at for one or two nights, small, near shop, sight seeing? We enjoyed our first trip to Cheddar Bridge as we could walk into town and also walk to the Gorge.

Deleted User
Can somebody please explain what a 'soulless' site is please.

I like some sites and not others but having a soul does not come into my judgement:)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I didn't say that I was disappointed with them; we've used about a dozen around France and have been very happy. They have, however, all been carparks which has been fine for us.

Great, if you are happy with cat park type aires but if you persevere and are selective, there are many really great aires which are not just car parks. I am on one now, Azay Le Rideau, on a riverside, hardstanding pitch with grass surrounding it, all set in an open field, electrics, water and drainage all for £8. 20 a night. We left one few days ago at Coulon which is an open field aire with electricity on each pitch and water etc nearby a short walk to a footpath along the river running through a lovely old town. The publication, "all of the aires" has some good ones but there are a number of internet and smartphone based apps that have much better information, C infos, Campercontact, Bordatlas to name a few.

Of course car park aires are fine for an overnight, and we do use then often but many of the better ones are great for a longer stay, if you seek them out.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Great, if you are happy with cat park type aires but if you persevere and are selective, there are many really great aires which are not just car parks. I am on one now, Azay Le Rideau, on a riverside, hardstanding pitch with grass surrounding it, all set in an open field, electrics, water and drainage all for £8. 20 a night. We left one few days ago at Coulon which is an open field aire with electricity on each pitch and water etc nearby a short walk to a footpath along the river running through a lovely old town. The publication, "all of the aires" has some good ones but there are a number of internet and smartphone based apps that have much better information, C infos, Campercontact, Bordatlas to name a few.

Of course car park aires are fine for an overnight, and we do use then often but many of the better ones are great for a longer stay, if you seek them out.
There is a France passion site in azay let Rideau, it is free and you don't have to be a member, it is an old mill, where if you are interested in such things it is full of old cars and tractors and all sorts of old vehicles that a bloke spent most of his life building up, well worth a look.there is a charge to go in the museum.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is a France passion site in azay let Rideau, it is free and you don't have to be a member, it is an old mill, where if you are interested in such things it is full of old cars and tractors and all sorts of old vehicles that a bloke spent most of his life building up, well worth a look.there is a charge to go in the museum.
http://www.musee-dufresne.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back