Are Burstner motorhomes winterised as standard? (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
We have an A class 2008 Aviano Burstner and we experienced the beast from the east parked up beside the marine lake at Southport temperature dropped to-10 we were hooked up and over night just used electric from hookup and a plug in electric heater as our boiler is under the bed so I am nervous sleeping on it main problem was the fresh water automatically empties below 8 degrees so we put a peg on the valve to keep it closed otherwise all ok but jolly cold and I’m not rushing to repeat the experience

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
But then I’m a softy southerner and I wouldn’t camp on top of Everest anyway

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Same for us with the Hymer Exsis. All pipes are inboard as is the waste tap, tanks are in heated and insulated compartments.

Used to caravan all year round. Only problem we ever had was when it got to -5 you had to bring the pipe and water pump in as it would freeze in the pipe coming from the Aqua roll.
Rapido has waste tank underneath but in a heated box. My last tugger had a second aquarolle attachment point in the very large shower cubicle. You could still use the shower as it was large enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I found the first thing to freeze was the drain off tap on the end of the grey water tank pipe. My current and previous 2 motorhomes have had the valve sensibly placed inboard where it stays warm. If your motorhome has an inboard drain off valve then the manufacturer has probably been thinking about cold weather use. You can add tank insulation and heaters to your hearts content but if the tap freezes you still have a problem..

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
2007 Burstner Argos and classed as fully winterised. Inboard tanks, double floor etc..never had a problem during winter camping👍

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Hi we have a Burstner Ixeo 674 g. Our first trip out in it was 10 years ago in -2 and we were too warm. Left gas heating on too high overnight. Best thing we brought to stay warm was a insulated external screen cover. As others have said our Burstner has its fresh water tank inside and we have a heater in waste tank. We have a standard Truman combi blown air boiler/heater and never been cold in winter. I visit Cairngorms every winter and even had temp down to -8c. Get out and enjoy it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Story against myself.

Before I bought I understood all Niesmann&Bischoff were winterised. When I found my Arto 69GL9"003) I did not check it had a double floor, which I thought it had to have for the tanks to be heated.

I was a bit disappointed when I realised it has not got a double floor. I later discovered that the tanks are boxed-in in heated areas, so it is after all winterised.

Other makes and models might have the same set-up, even if not double floored.

We have not tried it for skiing yet but at least I have the confidence it could do it.

Geoff
For Goodness sake DO Not under any circumstances use a Neismann Bischoff for skiing.
It's a great motorhome but bl66dy awful on a slalom course or downhill skiing.
Don't know what it's like on the ski jumping though. :rofl:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our first van was a 2008 Aviano. At the time of buying it the dealer said it had the additional winter pack which had cost £1500. I was a bit naive then ( still am) but I think they said it included a special habitation door and heated flooring, although the latter may have been standard.

Off topic but we paid £47,500 for that van new in 2008. How much are they now- getting on for double that:oops:

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I have an 07 Burstner Elegance. Double floor, internal fresh and waste tanks, Alde heating and silver screen. Absolutely no problem with things freezing up and always nice and toasty in the winter. I use mine EVERY weekend all year. No problem with heating on electric ( 3 power settings ) or on gas.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is more to winterising than insulation and double floor. Look at where your toilet, tanks and water pipe runs are located and compare them with the heater ducts (Truma) or pipes (Alde) are. They should be together, or at least close. That way the toilet, tanks and water pipes will not freeze when it gets really cold outside. This is and was the case with present Hymer, with Alde heating, and previous Adria, with Truma.

Many European motorhomers, and some Brits, use their motorhomes for skiing trips.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
There is more to winterising than insulation and double floor. Look at where your toilet, tanks and water pipe runs are located and compare them with the heater ducts (Truma) or pipes (Alde) are. They should be together, or at least close. That way the toilet, tanks and water pipes will not freeze when it gets really cold outside. This is and was the case with present Hymer, with Alde heating, and previous Adria, with Truma.

Many European motorhomers, and some Brits, use their motorhomes for skiing trips.
My point about the Burstner NOT being winterised as standard, doesnt mean you cant use one in -5

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, Burstner 747-2 here, bit old but works for me and family. Used mine in -20 degrees c in northern Germany, was very cosy on gas, EHU was fine once warm. all my tanks are inboard and the underfloor area is heated, heating in the habitation area is superb and the floor is nice and warm. System is Alde 3000 wet, cab area heated too. cannot fault its cold weather performance. Used the bucket solution for grey water drain, didnt use the resultant ice in my whiskey though......... I have a 3.5 KW generator just in case

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Don’t have a Burstner but they all share a van platform, usually Fiat or Peugeot type. I find winter does test the cab area for draughts. The cab was never really designed for sitting in while a field. So a insulated silver screen and or cab curtains can make a huge difference to comfort regardless of converter.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Don’t have a Burstner but they all share a van platform, usually Fiat or Peugeot type. I find winter does test the cab area for draughts. The cab was never really designed for sitting in while a field. So a insulated silver screen and or cab curtains can make a huge difference to comfort regardless of converter.
With the Argos, it has a sliding door to shut off the cab area from habitation, and does a great job of keeping the cold at bay.👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Has anyone else lined the cab door frame surround with self adhesive D rubber strip, I have found it makes the door quieter when closing, but more importantly it helps to reduce drafts.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

May be true of 'C' Class built on chassis-cab, but not so true of 'A' Class built on chassis-cowl, where the cab area is purpose-built and more insulated, e.g. double-glazed side-screens etc., no gaps round doors, Some vents may still need to be blocked, but the problems of heat loss are reduced.

Geoff

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Yes ,,just used the 'D' type self adhesive strip ,purchased from "Lidl" to seal & insulate the rear light cluster on the " Concorde". Water from the roof had a tendency to enter said area .,also cut & stuck a piece of plastic (20 x 25)on the roof both sides at an angle to divert the water away .
Way back in the 70s when i had a " Jennings Roadranger" ,i fitted 30mm insulation panels underneath ,screwed to the underfloor with stainless screws & plastic washers . That made a terrific difference in winter journeys thro ugh France's 'Midi' en-route to Spain & protected the services too .

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We have got a very similar MH to you - ours is a 2014 Burstner Nexxo (same as Ixeo but without drop down bed over cab) T740. We bought it in France (where we live) but although there might be some slightly different specs for the UK market I think they will be comparable for this.

In 2016 we did the Christmas markets in Strasbourg and lots of pretty villages in the region. It was lovely but doubt the temp got much above 2 or 3 degrees during the day and was definitely below freezing at night, although not as low as you would get ski-ing probably.

Anyway, we stayed at campsites and aires, with EHU most of the time (including at aires) and we were fine and toasty. We fine tuned a few tricks which might help you as well:
  • We've got a Gaslow tank and made sure we topped it up every few days whenever we could, although I think it would have lasted us a good 7 days if necessary
  • We left the hot water on 24/7 so that the tank didn't freeze - or more likely dump. We had problems when we first filled up at home and it was freezing cold, the hot water tank kept dumping but then we realised we needed to heat it up.
  • The residual heat from the hot water (tank is under island bed at rear of MH) helps to warm that end a bit and we leave the cupboard door open so that the heat goes into the MH rather than the garage.
  • A fan heater was an essential bit of kit, to top up the gas heating and to save on the gas. When we had been out all day we turned the gas heating and the electric fan on full and it got toasty very quickly. Fan was positioned at the front of the van as it never seems to get as warm as the back, especially as the fiat cab is not as insulated as the rear
  • At night we left the heating on low (1 or 2) and then turned it up in the morning before we got up to make the shower and loo were nice and warm. Also put on the fan heater to boost the heating at the front of the van
  • Occasionally we have left the fan heater on overnight as well on a low setting, but find it a bit noisy so don't often do that - but a good option if you want to save gas.
  • When driving we put the cab (engine) heating on max heat and blower for at least half an hour before we reached our destination and that made sure that the whole MH was pretty warm to start off.
  • We did at least one night with no hook up and we managed fine - the photo is what we woke up to that morning brrrrr
Hope that helps

Attachments

• BF9F808C-2D5E-47FA-9704-2EFF2BFA3676.jpeg
    BF9F808C-2D5E-47FA-9704-2EFF2BFA3676.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 31
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
5 of us skiing for a week. Below freezing all day, minus 10 or 12 at night. Truma electric heating on 24 hours a day. (Electric bill was about £70 euros) Bucket under the waste valve otherwise no problems. 👍
IMG_20180219_173159698.jpg
The one on the right by the way 😁

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Barry

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

It kind of matches what I thought.

Certainly my clean water tank is sitting largely under my half dinette seat, within inches of the Turma heater, so I don't expect any issues there! :)

Grey water was the are I was worried a little about, mine is in an underslung grey tank, there is no indication it is insulated but I would hope so!

I am running on red Calor bottle already, so gas should not be a problem.

I had been seeing comments about noble floor and grey water heaters, which is what prompted me to ask the question!

Now all I have to do is persuade the wife to go out in the van in winter!!!!!!
EuraMobil build their motorhomes with the Fresh and Waste tanks between the two floors where virtually the whole run of all the heating pipes are located. Gas has to be propane, of course. the toilet runs off the fresh water tank and the whole build is well insulated.

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
How can you winterise your WC then ? it can't be fun camping with a frozen bog.

What about condensation, how long do you have your windows open for ?

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
How can you winterise your WC then ? it can't be fun camping with a frozen bog.

What about condensation, how long do you have your windows open for ?
As previously mentioned the toilet room is heated by the Alde system and everything is within the double floor area too.
What condensation? I never get any! Heated cab area ( A class ) and when it gets a tad chilly stick an external silver screen on the front. Jobs a carrot.
6EAA336C-F3B0-49CA-A75F-A47CB23450B2.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back