Are any Northern French Campsites open in February? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just looking at sites in France for our trip to Alicante and it seems everywhere is closed :(

I don't mind trying Aires in fact I want to and I assume they will be no issue. But my wife bless her not having seen them thinks were going to get our Throat's slit on them :eek:

So I was thinking if I can book a proper site for the first night as show her a few Aires along the way ill change her mind and hey presto. Trouble is they all seem to be closed and its difficult navigating websites as there either in French. Ask for regions and I have no idea where the regions are or there just poor websites.

The Caravan Club app is awesome. Is there anything like that for France so I don't spend the next month trying to book a couple of nights.

Thats the planned route.

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 15.06.16.png

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
I would think most sites in France are closed for MotorHomes in February, unless it's near a ski station.
Try Campercontact, you can search by the map, and shows if they are open or not.

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Just had a look on Campercontact and a few are open from 01/01 or 01/02. Download the App and search the map on the route you are taking. Some near Reims and Troyes are open all Year.
Good luck.
Never heard of people getting the throats slit whilst camping in France!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Never heard of people getting the throats slit whilst camping in France!! :)

That's because the headline is usually "BRITISH COUPLE GASSED IN FRANCE".

They leave out the throat cut bit because it would put most off buying the paper. The medics say it's really painless having your throat cut after being gassed so that's fine.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Get the ACSI books and card as well, they will show if sites are open or not. The map below shows CamperContact listed campsites open in February. But there will be more if you look in the ACSI books as well.

Screenshot_20170109-182034.png

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
You'll be unlikely to find camp sites open during winter months. Most if not all aires will be open, but we have found that north of Paris most of them will have water turned off until March, though you will still be able to empty your toilet cassette.
In our opinion motorway aire de repose and service stations in the main should be avoided for an overnight stop. We usually use dedicated motorhome aires, supermarket car-parks and village squares etc. and have never had a problem.
Our rule of thumb is, if it doesn't feel safe then move on there will usually be somewhere else not too far away. Having said that 99 times out of 100 we feel safe and we've stopped in some very isolated aires and been the only ones there
Don't worry, just enjoy

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
thttp://www.campinglafontainedesclercs.fr/

try that one, we have used it a few times until we discovered aires.

Montrueil is a nice walled working town and there is also an aire near the bus station that your wife may want to check out

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We toured Normandy in February visiting the D Day beaches.

We don't use campsites so I can't give you any advice about those but we had no problem finding aires. People will tell you that the water is switched off at that time of year. That's not our experience, we could get water everywhere we stayed.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
@davidathomas42
We are total beginners but we made it all the way through France & Spain to the Canaries using only Aires in France (campsites all closed) & camp sites in Spain.

Honestly never had a problem in fact we're looking forward to getting the ferry back to Cadiz to really enjoy driving back through Spain & France.

Please "go for it"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When do the campsites in France usually open up again after the winter break ?
They vary, some will open from Easter, others in June and some are open all year. The only thing you can be sure of is they are all open in August. :)
But geography play a part. The ones on the Channel coast will generally only be open in summer. Down on the Mediterranean you will find a lot more open all year round. Ditto altitude.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

Ok. Just pieced it together on Google maps. Had to do it in the 2 parts (main route then winter route) as there was to many points for one hit. But it did end up 7 miles less than my route which really surprised me.

I am looking at it thinking the weather might be better down that route away from the Alps and the Pyrenees? I generally only fly over that region not drive so it will be all new.

Food for thought though food for thought.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
With the cold weather hitting Eastern Europe now Tonkas Western route is even more desirable. :)

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Just looking at sites in France for our trip to Alicante and it seems everywhere is closed :(

I don't mind trying Aires in fact I want to and I assume they will be no issue. But my wife bless her not having seen them thinks were going to get our Throat's slit on them :eek:

So I was thinking if I can book a proper site for the first night as show her a few Aires along the way ill change her mind and hey presto. Trouble is they all seem to be closed and its difficult navigating websites as there either in French. Ask for regions and I have no idea where the regions are or there just poor websites.

The Caravan Club app is awesome. Is there anything like that for France so I don't spend the next month trying to book a couple of nights.

Thats the planned route.

View attachment 141168

Look here, ACSI. The numbers on the map show the number of sites in that area, Zoom in/click a number and you will be able to see each site, when it is open, what facilities are there and how much it costs.

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I do the trip to Javea twice a year. First stop services at Baie de Somme on the motorway from Calais to Rouen. Excellent facility with dedicated parking area for Motorhomes and caravans.

Second stop private aire (bit like a mini caravan site really) at Bois de Chaudron, Sainte Maure de Touraine. Totally private on the edge of a wood on the outskirts of the town, shower facility if required. Very friendly owner.

Next stop services at Bidart, parking area to right which has been designed so that lorries can't access it.

Final stop services at Ferreruela de Huerva on the free motorway from Zaragoza to Valencia. Park in view of restaurant, attended 24 hours. Never had a problem with any of these stops.

Don't worry about the snow over the Pyrenees, they are good at keeping the roads clear.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We often drive /up/down to Spain in late autumn/winter and early spring. ASCI has the very best information about campsites as you can turn a filter on for the dates you will be travelling and it shows all the campsites open..you can then plan your route accordingly. We have found that travelling down the west side of France is best very late or very early in the season as there are more sites to choose from and they are closer together so that you don't have to drive very long distances or in the dark. You have to join ASCI for around 20-30€ a year you get a couple of books covering the whole of Europs and an ID card. I have also bought some apps for around 2-3£ each.... of the countries we most visit these give you off line availability to the whole network which is excellent. Most campsites in France open in time for Easter to the end of September but most campsites in Spain are open all year. We travelled back from Spain in November 2016 and stayed at some wonderful campsites. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back