Ardeche to Ile de Re - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're planning to tour between the Ardeche and the Ile de Re over a period of about 8 days fairly soon - we know the La Rochelle and Ile de Re bit very well, and have been in the Dordogne area recently, but would be interested in any recommendations (especially aires) for the roughly rectangular area bounded by Lyons, Orange, Toulouse, and Limoges, and we're particularly into historic and prehistoric sites with good MH or easy bike access.

Thanks in advance.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The Gouffre de Padirac - WELL worth a visit.

Incroyable ! as they say ........

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Magicsurfbus,
If you are into canoeing or fancy a small challenge there's a municipal campsite which we stayed at , at Vallon pont d'arc, with a canoe hire company right outside , where you canoe down the ardeche river for half a day and under the arc rock, then they pick you up and bring you back to c/s, or you can canoe all day then again they pick you up ( but that is some distant to canoe). I only did the half day great experience !! care they don't tell you about 2 small lots of white water and 1 quite rough, I took the wrong passage on that one and ended up getting a dunking, but still here to tell the tale.
campsite is about 800 yards from main town , lovely town / village.

THE CAMPSITE Chauvieux - 40, chemin de la Plage - SALAVAS - 07150 Vallon Pont d'Arc. Phone & Fax: + 33 (0) 4 75 88 05 37 -
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans.../www.camping-le-chauvieux.com/en/index.php&pr

:sin: Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Gorge d'Ardeche is striking, I cycled it a couple of years ago. It was the end of the summer so the water levels were quite low.
PA090199-reduced.jpg

The famous arch would be impressive to canoodle through.
PA080177-reduced.jpg

On a similar vein, but a shade outside your target area the Gorge d'Verdon is similar. Canoes and boats can be hired from places at the Lac de Sainte Croix.

The Verdon as it flow into the lake.

BROKEN LINK

The gorge itself, not for those with no head for heights - like me, especially on a push bike!

BROKEN LINK

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just back in from doing all of the above places and more, and can heartily recommend them, especially in the Spring before the crowds turn up. Will report back at more length in a new thread (including aire details) when time allows, but I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who took the trouble to reply - most helpful.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, glad you had good time and a safe trip , can't wait to read your update.
:sin: Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi, If Oradour sur Glane ( not sure on spelling) is near your route its a must. It lies North East of Limoge heading towards Belac. Its a martyred village which has been preserved just as it was left after the massacre by the Germans in June 1944. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back